996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Kenwood Stereo Install.. where to put the satellite bubble for GPS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 05:55 PM
jorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud of
I put the Sirius antenna right next to the filter in the front. No issues with reception. just remember to have it right side up. I put double sided tape on the antenna and then stuck it to the plastic. In my car, the only evidence of aftermarket is the head unit itself.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:01 PM
eugkim is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by X98boardwell
Eugkim,

I like that idea of stealth. I was told the GPS bubble will work fine in the dash but the Sirius unit cannot be behind or beneath too many things or it wont transmit. Any pictures or a better description of where exactly behind the radio they put it? From what I can see there is no real good spot unless when you say behind you mean where the previous Nav unit module was near the windshield on that metal plate...

Thanks,
Bryan
Sorry, Bryan, but I wasn't there when they installed it. I'd ask jorligan for more specifics. His description sounds like what the installer told me. He said there was plenty of room to place both antennae there. He'd done it many times.

Old 05-20-2011, 10:08 PM
X98boardwell is on a distinguished road
I can see the little cover in the middle of the dash by the windshield that I am guessing is what I pop off to access the area where I will install (or stick) my GPS and Sirius bubbles... Is this correct?

How in the heck do I get this off? Does it just pop off like the face plate around the radio with extremely strong clips? I just don't want to screw anything up and this is an extremely visible area.

I would rather hear from someone here who has done it than rush and take my chances.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Bryan

Old 05-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Ok, so I was able to remove the cover on the dash. I do see the navigation bubble which says "Trimble" on the top of it.

Does anyone know how to remove this? it will slide back and forth about 1-2mm so it doesn't seem stuck at all. Also, the space is tight so it would help is someone has done this in the past.

I will most likely put the sirius bubble here and the GPS bubble lower in the dash... still need to figure out where.

Thanks for the help in advance,
Bryan

Old 05-21-2011, 06:48 PM
jorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud of
The "trimble" antenna is your GPS antenna. It is magnetized and sticks to that metal plate. Simply pry it up with a small screwdriver or you can push it to the edge and the pry it up with your fingertip (I used a screwdriver) I couldn't get the old GPS antenna wire out of the factory hole so I cut it with a sharp xacto knife. You will need to carefully grind / cut the plastic area to feed your antenna. I am working this weekend but I will try to post some pictures

Old 05-21-2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks.. I just figured out the magnetized part as well. I could kind of see how I would have to trim. I could use a little dremel tool I guess. Pictures would help greatly as I am in the middle of this step.

I am guessing this would be a perfect place for the Sirius antenna and then I would find another spot for the GPS bubble since it can pass through more material... any ideas?

I will wait for pictures. Is there anyway to get that wire out of there without ruining the stock NAV unit? Curious if I could get some slack and then feed the stock wire through. I am guessing it is in the hole where the stereo was. I just have to figure out which wire it is.

Bryan

Old 05-21-2011, 08:40 PM
I think it is the blue wire. The black wire if for the window antenna. I put my GPS antenna in the same spot and put the Sirius antenna through the before mentioned rubber grommet and then fixed it to under the plastic molding around the windshield wiper. No drop out since I put the antenna right side up. On the 9980, does it use the external Sirius unit or is it built into the 9980. In mine, it is the separate unit so the sirius unit is in the front trunk so the antenna isn't fed through anything. Just the connecting cable between my head unit and the sirius adapter.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:20 AM
The 9980 still uses the seperate unit.. the Sirius SC-C1. How long has your sirius antenna been by the wipers? And your saying it works well? I will try and see which wire the stock GPS uses but it looks like it may be a black wire coming off the back of the GPS antenna in the back just before it feeds into the dash. I will have another look today to verify before I start cutting.

Where in MI are you located? I am from West Michigan around the Grand Haven area. Born and raised... been living in CA for 4+ years now. Thanks again for the help and post those pics if you are able.

Bryan

Old 05-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Ok, I was able to mount the Sirius antenna where the old GPS was located. Then, I mounted the GPS antenna for the Kenwood unit just under the plastic shroud by the wiper blades, If you reach under from the passenger side by the cabin filter angling towards the center of the car there is a metal plate that I was able to mount it on... only traveling through that plastic shroud so I should be good. If it works it will be a very clean install.

Questions,

1) What is the antenna cable... the Black, Blue or Mustard colored one? I have an adapter to connect it but not sure which one.
2) Where to connect into constant and ignition power? What are the colors of the wires as I need to identify this. I have replaced the amp with a new unit so the MOST system is gone but I still should be able to use the speaker wires (where the amp was located) and the constant and ignition power cables.

Thanks,
Bryan

Old 05-22-2011, 06:48 PM
The antenna cable is black. There is also a black wire that you need to power to turn on the antenna booster. For the amplifier, the brown wire is ground and the other big wire, I think it is red is positive. You will still need to have a wire to power the amplifier on from the head unit. See my prior post about the wires for the speakers as well as connections for the constant and switched.

I am from Ann Arbor.

Originally Posted by X98boardwell
Ok, I was able to mount the Sirius antenna where the old GPS was located. Then, I mounted the GPS antenna for the Kenwood unit just under the plastic shroud by the wiper blades, If you reach under from the passenger side by the cabin filter angling towards the center of the car there is a metal plate that I was able to mount it on... only traveling through that plastic shroud so I should be good. If it works it will be a very clean install.

Questions,

1) What is the antenna cable... the Black, Blue or Mustard colored one? I have an adapter to connect it but not sure which one.
2) Where to connect into constant and ignition power? What are the colors of the wires as I need to identify this. I have replaced the amp with a new unit so the MOST system is gone but I still should be able to use the speaker wires (where the amp was located) and the constant and ignition power cables.

Thanks,
Bryan

Old 05-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the input... I have already ran a blue wire for amplifier signal for it to turn on. I will look for the others for ground and power supply.

Antenna Booster: is this a factory item? Do I just need to connect that wire (how do I find out which one it is) to the ignition power for the radio. Can they share this power source?

Didn't know we had a booster. I truly appreciate the help. I will verify the wire color codes for the speakers tomorrow when I finish the wiring and install the head unit. Just trying to decide what to get for sub enclosure that is subtle... I may go with these but the price is a little high. http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/porsche.htm

It would be the floor units at the bottom of the link. I wonder how good 8" subs can hit..

Thanks again,
Bryan

Last edited by X98boardwell; 05-22-2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: typed in error
Old 05-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Factory item since we have the windshield antenna. It is the black wire on the harness which originally connected to your head unit. Unless you want it on all of the time, you need a ignitition connection. The ignition connection I used was the telephone wire which you get to by removing the small carpet piece on the drivers side - It simply pulls off. For constant, you can tap into the fuse box or use the constant wire which powered your old radio. Also, if you try to connect to the fuse box for the switched wire, you will find that it is ALWAYS powered. I check multiple fuses and it looks like Porsche fuse box is always hot and switched grounds the circuit to complete power up vs most cars which are exactly the opposite. Before you get a sub, I would try it with your factory speakers since you are not upgrading the whole system. If you find that you are going to upgrade the whole setup, you might consider putting in Earthquake SWS-6 subwoofers in your doors. They truly are subwoofers with a very long throw. I am still debating whether I am removing my door "subwoofers" and going to the SWS-6 which I have for another car. Previously used SWS-10 in my NSX, SWS-8 in the NSX currently and SWS-6 in my old M3 with good performance and best of all, they don't cost too much.

See my prior post about the telephone wire and considerations about fuse E6

Old 05-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up.. working on this tonight.

Question off topic... the panel that is much larger on the passenger side of the center console... how in the heck do I get that off? There is a screw all the way towards the front of the panel which I believe is a Torx 25, but it seems like something is holding it towards the rear which I cannot find any screw holes and I have pulled relentlessly to try and brake it free with no luck. Any ideas?

Thx,
Bryan

Old 08-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Whereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond reputeWhereitsat has a reputation beyond repute
How long of RCA cables are needed to run from the center console to the trunk top shelf?

Old 08-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Banned
mmm635 will become famous soon enoughmmm635 will become famous soon enough
From my past experience with Sirius, nothing is better than mounting it outside of the car which gets a signal from any angle while on the road.

I installed the Sirius antenna for my Kenwood on the rear of the car as seen in the pic below.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6305.JPG
Views:	831
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	268129