996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Kenwood Stereo Install.. where to put the satellite bubble for GPS?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:23 PM
X98boardwell is on a distinguished road
Kenwood Stereo Install.. where to put the satellite bubble for GPS?

I am in the middle of installing a Kenwood DNX 9980 in my TT cab. There is a satellite round piece (for the GPS) that I need to put somewhere... does anyone know if I can just stick inside my dash behind the stereo?

Also, for SiriusXM do I put that in the middle of the front dash or is there a better location? Remember I have a cabriolet. How do I get the wires to this location?

Thanks for the help,
Bryan

Old 05-15-2011, 07:32 PM
gu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond reputegu9cci has a reputation beyond repute
The satellite antenna should be on your dash or window.I would put one middle of dash where your alarm indicator is.You just need run the wire there which is not big deal.
I thing if you use search button you will found some DIY on double din install with pictures and ideas for you.
If you not confident to install by yourself better pay someone to doit to avoid future problems

Old 05-15-2011, 07:46 PM
big_jay is on a distinguished road
I installed mine on the dash... Where the alarm light is... You can pop off the cover and there is room under... Pass the wire behind the radio in the dash up to the opening... Just put the cover back and nothing will show...

Old 05-15-2011, 08:09 PM
jorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud of
I also put in a Kenwood system but opted to go with the DDX-814 with the 514 GPS unit to get faster boot up.

I put the satellite antenna under the alarm light. The cover pops off and this is where the factory satellite antenna was located. There is a flat metal piece where the antenna actually fits. If you had factory nav, you will need to remove the factory antenna I just cut off the wire because I couldn't figure out how to use this antenna). The antenna cable can then be routed through where the alarm light is located, you will need to pull the alarm out and then carefully dremel the site to allow the cable to sit flush.

The Sirius antenna cable can be fed through a rubber grommet located behind the battery. You can simply slice through with a razor and feed it through. It is a 2 inch diameter plug behind the drivers side of the battery. There is insulation behind it and if you were just push a long nail through the rubber grommet, you will see the nail from underneath the steering wheel. I pushed through 3 sets of RCA cables, the navigation cable, speaker wires and the Sirius cable through it without issues.

The Sirius antenna I put under the plastic area of the windshield wipers but I need to find a different location since I lose reception. The antenna is probably not pushed far enough towards the window. The Sirius antenna and GPS antenna work fine through plastic or fiberglass. I may be relocating the Sirius antenna to underneath the bumper cover.

For the standby wire, I plugged it into the telephone wire which was wired into my car. The interesting thing about the Porsche was that when I tapped into the fusebox, the wiring was always hot and never switched. It appears that the switched power actually grounds the system, not applying the power. By tapping into the telephone wire, you can also monitor the E6 fuse as the red monitoring light on the head unit goes off when the fuse is blown. The E6 fuse also supplies power to the lower flapper valve and when it is blown, it prevents you from filling the car with gas. The telephone wire is under the center console, just pull off the front panel on the drivers side of the console, it comes off by pulling.

Lastly, for the reverse wire, it apparently goes to the black and blue wire underneath the drivers seat. I have not done it yet, still waiting for my wireless reverse camera. Only reason for the reverse camera is that I can't see the back of the car when I parallel park.

I also have a cab so any questions, let me know. What are you using for speakers?

Lastly, for the hands free microphone, I unscrewed the area where the domelight is located and located the mounting clip under the area, fished the wire under the rubber seal down the drivers side and then to the head unit.

Last edited by jorligan; 05-15-2011 at 08:11 PM. Reason: More information
Old 05-15-2011, 09:12 PM
turbo_banker is on a distinguished road
hi jorligan, do you have any photos at all of the install? Either finished or in progress? Just would like to see how it all goes into place as I would like to do a very similar job in my 996. I assume you must have replaced everything for the install, stock amp, speakers, etc?

Old 05-16-2011, 09:26 AM
buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !buzzm Is a GOD !
i put mine under the front bumper, attached it to the aluminum frame, reception was perfect uintil i switched from the stock bumper to a thicker aftermarket one

i had sirius and gps mounted there

Old 05-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Guys, thanks for all the help. Any chance you have a picture of the location under the bumper... and how you were able to get it there? Did you have to remove the front bumper cover?

Also, when I remove the previous NAV (I did have factory NAV) antenna from the dash... or just beneath the dash the flat metal plate you are referring to.. is it easy to see or locate?

I already have the factory radio and amp removed. I am using a JL Audio 4 channel AMP, 2 channels for the door speakers (which are basically small woofers) and the other two channels to run the subs that I will put behind the seats. I will be relying on the Kenwood deck to run the dash speakers and rear speakers with a clean 35 watts. The local stereo shop who has done several Porsches told me the Bose 3 ohm speakers in dash and in the rear are plenty good to run off the deck and will sound pretty good. This is not going to be a crazy stereo.. just something to help when the top is down and I going 80... and a better quality NAV unit as well.

Last question, does anyone have the color codes for the speaker wire so I know which wire is for which speaker???

Thanks for all the help. I am sure I will have more as this small build progresses.

Bryan

Old 05-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Banned
ogomez79 is on a distinguished road
I placed mine on the dash also, under the stock cover for the ambient temp I believe.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:42 PM
turbo_banker is on a distinguished road
Hi,

Could anyone confirm if this is the right fitting kit so I can put a double din headunit in my 2004 996 turbo?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/03-05-PORSCHE-...item4aa89483ae

Thanks.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Yes, that is the one. Mine is an 04 and that is what I bought. If you had NAV before you can call them and they will take $7 off since you will not need the relocation plate for the heater controls.

Now for another question from me... does anyone have the wiring diagram for the speaker wires off the back of the radio so I can tell them apart?

Thanks,
Bryan

Old 05-16-2011, 07:33 PM
jorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud ofjorligan has much to be proud of
Answers
1 The stock Nav antenna sits on the metal plate. It is magnetized just like the Kenwood antenna.
2 Speaker wires - Since you already removed the factory amplifier, you can see that all of the wiring is already in the front trunk. The brown wire or the colored wires with brown stripe are negative. The specific wires for each speaker are wrapped together. Right front - Red / Red with brown stripe. Left Front - yellow / yellow with brown stripe, Right Door - Purple / purple with brown stripe, Left Door - Green / Green with brown stripe, Right Rear - Blue / Blue with brown stripe, Left Rear - Blue / Brown with Blue stripe. I think that these are correct but the rears may be wrong. Just remove the rear speaker and you can clarify.
3 There is a black wire on the harness which goes to the power booster for the antenna on the cabs. Hooking this up to the antenna wire on your head unit will not work because the antenna wire from the head unit does not provide continuous power. You can either hook it up to a switched wire, the power wire for your amplifier or the relayed outputs from the head unit. If you don't power the booster, essentially no FM reception.
4 Lastly, on the Bose speakers, well, just take a listen. There is night and day difference between the Bose speakers and virtually any aftermarket speaker. The Bose speakers are run FULL range with only a capacitor as a 6 db crossover for the tweeter. This is why the Bose speakers tend to sound so muddy. If you are interested, I have a pair of MB Quart speakers which are already mounted and ready to drop in place - Money back guarantee, you just pay for round trip shipping.

Is the Kenwood unit stable at 3 ohms? Too low a speaker impedance can damage the amplifiers.

Last edited by jorligan; 05-16-2011 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Additions
Old 05-16-2011, 09:08 PM
Very helpful... I will see how they sound. Won't be too difficult to change later if need be.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:15 AM
eugkim is on a distinguished road
I had a Kenwood DNX 6980 installed a few weeks ago. They installed both the Sirius and GPS antennae under the dash, just in front of the head unit. They said they do it all the time, the reception is great. I prefer a totally stealth installation.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:01 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
i put my on the right corner of the windshield on the dash.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 05-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Eugkim,

I like that idea of stealth. I was told the GPS bubble will work fine in the dash but the Sirius unit cannot be behind or beneath too many things or it wont transmit. Any pictures or a better description of where exactly behind the radio they put it? From what I can see there is no real good spot unless when you say behind you mean where the previous Nav unit module was near the windshield on that metal plate...

Thanks,
Bryan

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Kenwood Stereo Install.. where to put the satellite bubble for GPS?