terrible rattle on start up - 6speedonline.com Forums

Go Back   6speedonline.com Forums > Porsche (Present) > 996 Turbo / GT2
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.
Sponsored By Vivid Racing

terrible rattle on start up

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 03:39 PM

choker28 is on a distinguished road
terrible rattle on start up

Hi Guys im new to this thread and from the UK.just purchased a 2003 TT with 8200 miles and fpsh just had main service.On starting the car first time of the day it sounds terrible it rattles so bad,after about five minutes it settles and goes away then is fine until the next morning. oil pressure is fine and no smoke on idle or hard acceleration.I have heard this is normal just wanted to here from you guys who know these cars
Thanks in advance
Old 08-06-2011, 04:20 PM
Banned

Sql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to behold
They do it when it is a cold start.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:51 PM

pwdrhound has a reputation beyond reputepwdrhound has a reputation beyond reputepwdrhound has a reputation beyond reputepwdrhound has a reputation beyond reputepwdrhound has a reputation beyond reputepwdrhound has a reputation beyond reputepwdrhound has a reputation beyond reputepwdrhound has a reputation beyond reputepwdrhound has a reputation beyond reputepwdrhound has a reputation beyond reputepwdrhound has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sql_pl View Post
They do it when it is a cold start.
not for 5 minutes.......2-3 seconds...maybe....
Old 08-06-2011, 08:27 PM

steve harris has a reputation beyond reputesteve harris has a reputation beyond reputesteve harris has a reputation beyond reputesteve harris has a reputation beyond reputesteve harris has a reputation beyond reputesteve harris has a reputation beyond reputesteve harris has a reputation beyond reputesteve harris has a reputation beyond reputesteve harris has a reputation beyond reputesteve harris has a reputation beyond reputesteve harris has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to steve harris
its the can of nuts thing, they are all the same do not sweat this it normal
Old 08-06-2011, 08:39 PM

raineycd has a reputation beyond reputeraineycd has a reputation beyond reputeraineycd has a reputation beyond reputeraineycd has a reputation beyond reputeraineycd has a reputation beyond reputeraineycd has a reputation beyond reputeraineycd has a reputation beyond reputeraineycd has a reputation beyond reputeraineycd has a reputation beyond reputeraineycd has a reputation beyond reputeraineycd has a reputation beyond repute
Mine does not rattle or make any more noise outside of the exhaust having more "burble" from the air injection...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XvgHtNHHKM
Old 09-16-2011, 12:24 PM

bng4god has a spectacular aura aboutbng4god has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by raineycd View Post
Mine does not rattle or make any more noise outside of the exhaust having more "burble" from the air injection...
I hear the exhaust but I also hear the rattle in your video which is exactly like mine on cold startup. I thought it was exhaust initially as well. Good to know this is one of the "perks" of the 996.
03TT Arctic Silver/Black Interior: UMW tuned ECU, Custom X-crossover Exhaust, Bilsteins PSS9's, Champion Motorsport RG5 Titanium - custom-painted Seal Gray Matte finish. F: 19x8.5, R: 19x11.5. Hankook Ventus K12 evo 110 F: 245/35/19, R: 305/30/19
Old 09-16-2011, 04:45 PM

Pmafia will become famous soon enough
Yeah it's normal from what I've read. Mine does it too but only if the car sits for 2 or more days. It usually only last a couple seconds though, not 5 minutes. Supposedly its the hydraulic lifters running dry because the oil drains down from them when the car sits unused. It takes a couple seconds for the oil to get back in them.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:30 PM

Nikolas has much to be proud ofNikolas has much to be proud ofNikolas has much to be proud ofNikolas has much to be proud ofNikolas has much to be proud ofNikolas has much to be proud ofNikolas has much to be proud ofNikolas has much to be proud ofNikolas has much to be proud ofNikolas has much to be proud of
The rattle immediately after a cold start would not be normal. The normal IMS rattle happens once the engine is warmed up and the oil is more viscous. You guys must have better ears than I, as I hear no rattle in RainyCD's video, only that glorious sound of MarkSki's Exhaust!
Old 09-17-2011, 12:45 AM

pat has much to be proud ofpat has much to be proud ofpat has much to be proud ofpat has much to be proud ofpat has much to be proud ofpat has much to be proud ofpat has much to be proud ofpat has much to be proud ofpat has much to be proud ofpat has much to be proud of
Ranieycd. What radar do you have, it sounds just like mine. Mine came with and I don't know what brand it is.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:35 AM

raineycd has a reputation beyond reputeraineycd has a reputation beyond reputeraineycd has a reputation beyond reputeraineycd has a reputation beyond reputeraineycd has a reputation beyond reputeraineycd has a reputation beyond reputeraineycd has a reputation beyond reputeraineycd has a reputation beyond reputeraineycd has a reputation beyond reputeraineycd has a reputation beyond reputeraineycd has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by bng4god View Post
I hear the exhaust but I also hear the rattle in your video which is exactly like mine on cold startup. I thought it was exhaust initially as well. Good to know this is one of the "perks" of the 996.
There is no extra rattle on startup on my car. Not sure what you are hearing, but the only extra noise on cold start is the air injection "burble"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat View Post
Ranieycd. What radar do you have, it sounds just like mine. Mine came with and I don't know what brand it is.
I think it is a Calibre K40. It came with the car with I got it...
Old 09-17-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineycd View Post
There is no extra rattle on startup on my car. Not sure what you are hearing, but the only extra noise on cold start is the air injection "burble"
Hey Raineycd, sorry my comment was misleading. What sounds like a rattle is the burbling you are referring to that I hear in your video. I got lazy in my diction. I thought it was from the exhaust initially as well. I think the burble is louder with an aftermarket exhaust which is what I have as well. After warming up that burbling/rattling sound disappears for me.
03TT Arctic Silver/Black Interior: UMW tuned ECU, Custom X-crossover Exhaust, Bilsteins PSS9's, Champion Motorsport RG5 Titanium - custom-painted Seal Gray Matte finish. F: 19x8.5, R: 19x11.5. Hankook Ventus K12 evo 110 F: 245/35/19, R: 305/30/19

Last edited by bng4god; 09-17-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:10 PM

Nor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeNor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeNor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeNor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeNor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeNor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeNor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeNor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeNor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeNor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeNor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.facebook.com/#!/eric.d.packard
My car is loud on cold start with a lot of valve chatter for about 3 seconds then a rattle which I think comes from the oil pump finally spinning up and then everything sounds normal. I asked about this before and everybody has told me it is normal but I think I am going to replace the non return check valve P/N 996-207-012-74 and see if that might be part of the problem. I know not all 996tt and 996GT3s do this but many of them do. Here is a video of what mine sounds like on cold start. Ignore the incorrect title of the video. Its not engine knock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5e3uja3Rx0
Old 09-17-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo View Post
My car is loud on cold start with a lot of valve chatter for about 3 seconds then a rattle which I think comes from the oil pump finally spinning up and then everything sounds normal. I asked about this before and everybody has told me it is normal but I think I am going to replace the non return check valve P/N 996-207-012-74 and see if that might be part of the problem. I know not all 996tt and 996GT3s do this but many of them do. Here is a video of what mine sounds like on cold start. Ignore the incorrect title of the video. Its not engine knock.
Mine definitely does not sound like that.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:59 PM

jpflip has a reputation beyond reputejpflip has a reputation beyond reputejpflip has a reputation beyond reputejpflip has a reputation beyond reputejpflip has a reputation beyond reputejpflip has a reputation beyond reputejpflip has a reputation beyond reputejpflip has a reputation beyond reputejpflip has a reputation beyond reputejpflip has a reputation beyond reputejpflip has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo View Post

It is strange and funny. Mine was exactly the same! But I've switch to Mobil TDT and the lack of oil pressure on start and growling are almost gone ????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJpN0n2F57o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyWxfZ_MGBs
Old 09-17-2011, 05:20 PM

Nor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeNor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeNor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeNor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeNor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeNor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeNor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeNor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeNor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeNor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond reputeNor Cal Turbo has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.facebook.com/#!/eric.d.packard
wow most of the chatter went away. JP, I think I read that you did the non return check valve replacement? obviously it didn't get rid of the noise. Was it a difficult procedure to do? I might replace it and see if it helps in addition to trying some different oil with more ZDDP.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:20 PM

Tags
09, 911, 996, 996tt, acceleration, aos, cold, mini, pathfinder, porsche, rattle, rattles, start, startup, turbo