996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

terrible rattle on start up

Old 08-06-2011, 02:39 PM
choker28 is on a distinguished road
terrible rattle on start up

Hi Guys im new to this thread and from the UK.just purchased a 2003 TT with 8200 miles and fpsh just had main service.On starting the car first time of the day it sounds terrible it rattles so bad,after about five minutes it settles and goes away then is fine until the next morning. oil pressure is fine and no smoke on idle or hard acceleration.I have heard this is normal just wanted to here from you guys who know these cars
Thanks in advance

Old 08-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Banned
Sql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to behold
They do it when it is a cold start.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:51 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sql_pl
They do it when it is a cold start.
not for 5 minutes.......2-3 seconds...maybe....

Old 08-06-2011, 07:27 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
its the can of nuts thing, they are all the same do not sweat this it normal

Old 08-06-2011, 07:39 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Mine does not rattle or make any more noise outside of the exhaust having more "burble" from the air injection...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XvgHtNHHKM

Old 09-16-2011, 11:24 AM
bng4god has a spectacular aura aboutbng4god has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by raineycd
Mine does not rattle or make any more noise outside of the exhaust having more "burble" from the air injection...
I hear the exhaust but I also hear the rattle in your video which is exactly like mine on cold startup. I thought it was exhaust initially as well. Good to know this is one of the "perks" of the 996.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:45 PM
Pmafia will become famous soon enough
Yeah it's normal from what I've read. Mine does it too but only if the car sits for 2 or more days. It usually only last a couple seconds though, not 5 minutes. Supposedly its the hydraulic lifters running dry because the oil drains down from them when the car sits unused. It takes a couple seconds for the oil to get back in them.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
The rattle immediately after a cold start would not be normal. The normal IMS rattle happens once the engine is warmed up and the oil is more viscous. You guys must have better ears than I, as I hear no rattle in RainyCD's video, only that glorious sound of MarkSki's Exhaust!

Old 09-16-2011, 11:45 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Ranieycd. What radar do you have, it sounds just like mine. Mine came with and I don't know what brand it is.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:35 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bng4god
I hear the exhaust but I also hear the rattle in your video which is exactly like mine on cold startup. I thought it was exhaust initially as well. Good to know this is one of the "perks" of the 996.
There is no extra rattle on startup on my car. Not sure what you are hearing, but the only extra noise on cold start is the air injection "burble"

Originally Posted by pat
Ranieycd. What radar do you have, it sounds just like mine. Mine came with and I don't know what brand it is.
I think it is a Calibre K40. It came with the car with I got it...

Old 09-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by raineycd
There is no extra rattle on startup on my car. Not sure what you are hearing, but the only extra noise on cold start is the air injection "burble"
Hey Raineycd, sorry my comment was misleading. What sounds like a rattle is the burbling you are referring to that I hear in your video. I got lazy in my diction. I thought it was from the exhaust initially as well. I think the burble is louder with an aftermarket exhaust which is what I have as well. After warming up that burbling/rattling sound disappears for me.

Last edited by bng4god; 09-17-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:10 PM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
My car is loud on cold start with a lot of valve chatter for about 3 seconds then a rattle which I think comes from the oil pump finally spinning up and then everything sounds normal. I asked about this before and everybody has told me it is normal but I think I am going to replace the non return check valve P/N 996-207-012-74 and see if that might be part of the problem. I know not all 996tt and 996GT3s do this but many of them do. Here is a video of what mine sounds like on cold start. Ignore the incorrect title of the video. Its not engine knock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5e3uja3Rx0

Old 09-17-2011, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo
My car is loud on cold start with a lot of valve chatter for about 3 seconds then a rattle which I think comes from the oil pump finally spinning up and then everything sounds normal. I asked about this before and everybody has told me it is normal but I think I am going to replace the non return check valve P/N 996-207-012-74 and see if that might be part of the problem. I know not all 996tt and 996GT3s do this but many of them do. Here is a video of what mine sounds like on cold start. Ignore the incorrect title of the video. Its not engine knock.
Mine definitely does not sound like that.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:59 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo

It is strange and funny. Mine was exactly the same! But I've switch to Mobil TDT and the lack of oil pressure on start and growling are almost gone ????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJpN0n2F57o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyWxfZ_MGBs

Old 09-17-2011, 04:20 PM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
wow most of the chatter went away. JP, I think I read that you did the non return check valve replacement? obviously it didn't get rid of the noise. Was it a difficult procedure to do? I might replace it and see if it helps in addition to trying some different oil with more ZDDP.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: terrible rattle on start up