996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Boost Leaks- how to find them... pics inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:48 AM
vshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by vshugo996
Hi,
I tryed to do a plenum leak test but I think that any thing is wrong.

I lowered the engine, disconnet the Y-pipe and install the leak tool to the plenum. Next, put air but could not see/feel pressure inside the hoses. I listen the air run inside the plenum and hoses. I spray all the hoses and plenum with water+soap and couldn´t detect any leak.

If there are no leaks I think the air goes to inside the motor by engine intake, correct?

What are the correct procedures and fases to do a plenum leak test?

Regards,
VS
Please, someone can help me?????

If there are no leaks I think the air goes to inside the motor by engine intake, correct?

What are the correct procedures and fases to do a plenum leak test?

Thanks,
VS

Old 03-22-2012, 06:52 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Check for small vacuum leaks...I had a hose pop off and pulled my hair trying to find it. Boost leak check wouldn't find it, but a smoke test did...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...en-solved.html

Old 03-22-2012, 08:09 AM
vshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to beholdvshugo996 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ttboost
Check for small vacuum leaks...I had a hose pop off and pulled my hair trying to find it. Boost leak check wouldn't find it, but a smoke test did...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...en-solved.html
Thanks, I will do verify the vacuum hoses. The car had the error P1109 (Input variables charge measurement).

However, now is important for me undertand if there are no leaks the air goes to inside the motor and is normal do not get pressure?

Last edited by vshugo996; 03-22-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:19 PM
quick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the roughquick968 is a jewel in the rough
subscribed

Old 01-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Vonschmidt has a spectacular aura aboutVonschmidt has a spectacular aura about
Great thread

Old 01-24-2013, 02:47 PM
PorscheTS will become famous soon enoughPorscheTS will become famous soon enough
Thank you all for the Info!

Old 01-24-2013, 03:43 PM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Urbanhotrod
Wow some of you still have leaks after all this reading? This is the first test anyone should do even before a tune!

This is free hp!

I have to agree this should be a Sticky
I agree as well, but where do you go to get someone to test it like Marski when we live in Toronto?

Who do you use with this level of confidence to do a throughly boost leak test like this in Toronto?

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Bobby I actually bought the testers from Marski I .have them at Autowerks if you need them let me know

Old 01-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Schwolneck is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by raineycd
Do it! I blew off a few small vac hoses when I did mine. These cars are designed for 1bar or lower boost. The way they put some of the hoses on I am amazed they don't blow off at 1/2 bar! Had to zip-tie a handfull of them!
Chad, What would you charge to test mine?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:24 AM
Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !Bobbyfali Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Urbanhotrod
Bobby I actually bought the testers from Marski I .have them at Autowerks if you need them let me know
Thank you so much for the offer, but the problem is I need someone that knows how to do as thoroughly as Markski because I don't know how to do it.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba

Old 01-27-2013, 02:49 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bobbyfali

Thank you so much for the offer, but the problem is I need someone that knows how to do as thoroughly as Markski because I don't know how to do it.

Thanks

Bobby Ali

ba
Have the guys at Autowerks do it no?

Old 03-18-2013, 09:34 AM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
Hope I'm not reviving an old thread. I'm trying to leak test. I tried through the Intake pipe and also through the turbo's.

My question is, I blocked off one turbo, and then pressurized through the other. The system would not hold air at ALL. Is there something else I need to block off up in the top of the motor if I'm pressurizing at the turbo's?

I know I've got to be doing something wrong?

If I still have a blow through MAF should I skip pressurizing at the turbo's and just pressurize from the intake tube? If I do that is there anything I should be disconnecting or blocking off to make sure I don't mess something up?

Old 03-18-2013, 09:36 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HIX
Hope I'm not reviving an old thread. I'm trying to leak test. I tried through the Intake pipe and also through the turbo's.

My question is, I blocked off one turbo, and then pressurized through the other. The system would not hold air at ALL. Is there something else I need to block off up in the top of the motor if I'm pressurizing at the turbo's?

I know I've got to be doing something wrong?

If I still have a blow through MAF should I skip pressurizing at the turbo's and just pressurize from the intake tube? If I do that is there anything I should be disconnecting or blocking off to make sure I don't mess something up?
Nope if everything is tight, it should hold. Some have reported the oil filler cap leaking - so make sure it is on good. Basically pressurize the system best as you can and listen for leaks and repair them as you go... If it won't hold any air, then you probably have a major leak somewhere.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:02 AM
HIX
HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !HIX Is a GOD !
When I pressurized at the Turbo's I had air coming out a line that 'T' into the connecting pipe on the drivers side between Turbo and Inlet pipe. Just flowed through like crazy.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 AM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HIX
When I pressurized at the Turbo's I had air coming out a line that 'T' into the connecting pipe on the drivers side between Turbo and Inlet pipe. Just flowed through like crazy.
Ah ok. That should not happen.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Boost Leaks- how to find them... pics inside