996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Anyone use this LSD?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 10:22 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Anyone use this LSD?

Just wondering is anyone has any experience with the Quaife LSD sold by AMS.

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/P...ferential.html

It appears that this LSD is basically maintenance free since it's not utilizing clutch plates. Maintenance free = good in my book. Heck, it even has a lifetime warranty, whatever that means. Just wondering what the downsides are. Every other LSD I have read about for the 996tt seems to require frequent overhauls of the clutch plates, especially if you track the car.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 10-04-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:53 AM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Great LSD w/rave reviews. I plan to pick one up for my car once my mods get alot more serious in the next month or so.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:09 AM
Yazz911TT will become famous soon enough
Doesn't a 996tt already have a rear LSD??

Old 10-05-2011, 02:49 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
No it doesn't.

As for the OP, unless you track non stop, there are quite few LSD's that won't require much if any maintenance for several years. If you do track a lot, then tout know that everything requires maintenance.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:00 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
Just wondering is anyone has any experience with the Quaife LSD sold by AMS.

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/P...ferential.html

It appears that this LSD is basically maintenance free since it's not utilizing clutch plates. Maintenance free = good in my book. Heck, it even has a lifetime warranty, whatever that means. Just wondering what the downsides are. Every other LSD I have read about for the 996tt seems to require frequent overhauls of the clutch plates, especially if you track the car.
I have been in the same boat as you for a month now and have been researching LSDs. From what I found the helical LSD design is one that 1. Doesn't lock as much as the clutch type and 2. Will not transfer power to the opposite wheel if one is in the air.

From what I seem to be finding the track guys really need a more aggressive setup than helical types offer. The helical is good for a lot longer than the clutch type from what I found. For the street they would be perfect IMHO.

For the clutch type LSDs I have not found a single negative review about the carbonetics carbon type LSDs. The disk life is supposed to be longer and the by product of the clutch disks are less aggressive than the grit like material on some of the other disk types. But I have also heard outstanding reviews on the guard. They know their product well and stand behind it 100%. The price difference between the two are about $1700.

The cheapest place I have found the carbonetics is straight from carbonetic themselves. I hope I don't get edited for that last sentence

Old 10-05-2011, 07:20 AM
Savetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud ofSavetheclutch has much to be proud of
so which would you guys recommend for a street car which will see a few track days during the year?

Old 10-05-2011, 10:26 AM
daytrip00 is on a distinguished road
Vagscum, what has your research told you about cooling? It's my understanding that you'll need to add some additional cooling to your transmission case...

Old 10-05-2011, 10:33 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
What type of LSD does Porsche put on the 996 GT2 and can it be retrofitted to the 996tt since its also a G50 gearbox? Does the GT2 come with additional gearbox cooling and is there also ongoing maintenance involved with the stock GT2 LSD? What is the rebuild interval on the Guard or Carbonetic LSD?

Old 10-05-2011, 11:20 AM
VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !VAGscum Is a GOD !
What type of LSD does Porsche put on the 996 GT2 and can it be retrofitted to the 996tt since its also a G50 gearbox? Does the GT2 come with additional gearbox cooling and is there also ongoing maintenance involved with the stock GT2 LSD? What is the rebuild interval on the Guard or Carbonetic LSD?
The 996 gt2 has a clutch type LSD that can be installed in the 996tt. In fact it has been proven to be higher quality than the 997 variants too. The gt2 does have an additional pump for cooling the fluid. I have heard that for the street a cooler is not needed. For the track it is suggested. I cannot speak for the consequences nor have I heard about the consequences of not having the added cooling. The standard clutches seem to last 10-15k track miles before the rebuild is needed. The folks at carbonetics sell the disk clutches but claim they have not needed a rebuild on them yet.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by VAGscum
The 996 gt2 has a clutch type LSD that can be installed in the 996tt. In fact it has been proven to be higher quality than the 997 variants too. The gt2 does have an additional pump for cooling the fluid. I have heard that for the street a cooler is not needed. For the track it is suggested. I cannot speak for the consequences nor have I heard about the consequences of not having the added cooling. The standard clutches seem to last 10-15k track miles before the rebuild is needed. The folks at carbonetics sell the disk clutches but claim they have not needed a rebuild on them yet.
Thanks VAG! I wonder how much it would be to add the pump for cooling to our non GT2s...

Old 10-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Thanks VAG! I wonder how much it would be to add the pump for cooling to our non GT2s...
I have heard that for the OEM gt2 or gt3 setup you have to either change or machine the housing to add the cooling nozzles for gears 5&6 which gets pretty spendy. You can do aftermarket for less, and I don't think it requires machining or replacement of transmission housings. Search the archives. I know somebody here did the mod and posted pictures of the process. Also their is a link in the knowledge forum on an add on tranny cooler. The people to talk to about it is either Guard or GBox. Both are top notch companies that know what they are doing.

Are you planning on doing DEs or just street? That should be the motivating factor for your mods.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:55 PM
I have heard that for the OEM gt2 or gt3 setup you have to either change or machine the housing to add the cooling nozzles for gears 5&6 which gets pretty spendy. You can do aftermarket for less, and I don't think it requires machining or replacement of transmission housings. Search the archives. I know somebody here did the mod and posted pictures of the process. Also their is a link in the knowledge forum on an add on tranny cooler. The people to talk to about it is either Guard or GBox. Both are top notch companies that know what they are doing.

Are you planning on doing DEs or just street? That should be the motivating factor for your mods.
That's really good information. I plan on minimal but occasional use for the track but I suspect that adding a cooler will make the setup more reliable. I also think that if you're doing all this tranny work, you might as well...

I'm also wondering if this an upgrade you could do when getting a new clutch or whether you have to remove the tranny and do a rebuild on it. Of course... I have considered that it may actually not be worth going with a LSD at all, but, you know, I've got the bug and am pathologically unable to leave good enough alone.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
I really want to know when an LSD for my TIP car is going to come out. Heard talk about it last year but I think it fell through.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I too have been reading about LSDs for a few years, trying to decided what would be best for a, primarily, aggressive street application.

I like the smooth transition of the Quaife, but concerned about all torque going to the wheel off the ground. This may be quite problematic bumping over a curb at a tack day.

I like the Guards. High quality, race proven. minor concern of lack of progression (?)

I deducted that the OS Giken, with many more plates / longer rebuild cycles may be the best compromise. (?)

Still undecided...

Old 10-06-2011, 01:52 AM
Yazz911TT will become famous soon enough
Does the 997TT have a rear LSD??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone use this LSD?