996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

200.77 mph K16 Tiptronic.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TTdude
Nice job guys!
Your welcome, thank you.

Thanks to Ken for all his hard work, btw the Turbo company Ken has the franchise with not only mods the compressor but fully reconditions the turbos, fit 360 deg thrusts and 7deg cut backs. This is now the way to go if you want to keep your K16 turbos and fantastic response they offer.

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 11-06-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:58 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sunnyside

Basically, on my bequest, I got Ken and a very good friend Turbo builder together and they have come up with Hybrid K1639 Turbos. I get all the K16 low spool but now get just near K24 18g performance. Remember K24/18g flow 40 lbs and the K1639 flow 39 lbs.
Nice numbers!

Could you please share a little more of data about these turbos?

Old 11-06-2011, 10:09 AM
996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Nice numbers!

Could you please share a little more of data about these turbos?
Not much to tell. We took a set of k16 billets, stripped them, put in a 39lb wheel instead of the billet 37lb. Made some cutbacks and so on.

Goal was to provide instant boost while hitting hard up top.

Some more times to compare against k24/18g car of ours run on the same day at the same time e.g. against each other.

200-300kph
k1639 did 16.89 sec
k2418g did 18.26 seconds

240-320kph
k1639 did 20.30
k2418g did 18.58

On same day a 722ps 997gt2 (that is engine dyno'd Porsche power) did 14.6 second 200-300kph.

To give you another car to compare
k2420g on same place different day

200-300kph did 13.13 seconds
240-320kph did 14.40 seconds

So from 100-300 the k1639 is better than the k2418g, but clearly over 186mph, the extra top end hp does make the k2418g just slightly stronger.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:19 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
So the hotside ( turbine ) is still std K16?
What are compressor's in/ex measurements?

Old 11-06-2011, 10:25 AM
996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pete95zhn
So the hotside ( turbine ) is still std K16?
What are compressor's in/ex measurements?
Pete, yes the turbine is still std k16.

Understand that is as far as I will go with info since we just spend a fortune on R&D, then build and testing.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Great results... looks like the k16 is doing a great job..

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-06-2011, 12:22 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996ttalot
.....The issue as always with larger 16s is the heat generation, but we have minimised that as much as possible......
What did you do regarding this Ken?

Also, am I right to say you sourced a 'better' compressor wheel rather than have one custom made from scratch? - Don't worry I don't want any more info than that, I can imagine you've spent quite a bit of money getting Frank's car where it is

Good work

Old 11-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by ant_8u

Also, am I right to say you sourced a 'better' compressor wheel rather than have one custom made from scratch? - Don't worry I don't want any more info than that, I can imagine you've spent quite a bit of money getting Frank's car where it is

Good work
On the turbo side, we just had one goal, which was instant boost whilst retaining top end power. We all know that the k16s drop off in power, but boost quicker than the k24s. We wanted k24/18g power, but k16 spool.

The issue that we faced was that if we retained the spool, and still made the power, then the heat would be generated quicker, and so IATs would rise a lot sooner, and then the DME would start reducing power.

So together with our turbo builder, the compressor wheel was designed. It was based on something they had designed themselves, but we spoke about how the whole turbo could be modified to help reduce heat generation. Of course that is not easy.

Clearly we fitted better aftermarket ICs (Markski's) and done other stuff to help with flow.

In hindsight fitting 4.5 inch ICs would have produced better results again, but we will do that on the packages we offer.

We also worked closely with Markski and Todd K to get the tune right.

And then spend hours and hours working on the EBC, to find the right set up. This was key - too much gain, generated more heat too quickly. So it was a question of trying until we found the right EBC settings. All the tune was set up to pass UK emissons as well.

And yes it cost us a lot, but hopefully will be worth it.

I actually have some k24/18g customers who have been out in the car, who now question why they went k24/18gs. It is not surprising - these turbos just hit so quick and then stay there.

The only small downside is that it is very difficult to drive off boost. Even when cruising, you just touch the throttle and it is boosting. But you cannot have everything.

Of course the car had 100 cell exhaust and a lot of other bits.

So I think it is a combination of things, not just one specific thing.

As Markski knows as well, you can stick a 20g wheel in a k16 turbo, but that doesn't mean it will be better. It is about the right combination. If you were able to just stick these k1639s on and tune, it would just not work - you would be out of fuel even with 5 bar, and the heat would pull timing on the DME.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute

Good work
Frank actually spent quite a lot of money as well.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Very true, but of course you still have the car

Enjoy.

Old 11-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by 996ttalot
Very true, but of course you still have the car

Enjoy.
Its a shame I know you so well now Ken as this next bit of praise should be taken as meant to give no commercial benefit to you as a mate but I have to say it anyway.
IMHO, this K1639 kit with all the trimings is the Dogs Bollocks, thank goodness I didn't go down the K16 billet route or the expense of 2418g's. These really are amazing and the development that has gone into them ( as you know i also know) to stop heat and choking is just fantastic.
Well worth the expense and thanks I will enjoy. hope to hook up again soon at Brunters when you next run one.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:38 PM
ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !ant_8u Is a GOD !
But it was all worth it though wasn't it mate!

Old 11-07-2011, 05:31 AM
But it was all worth it though wasn't it mate!
Totally

Old 11-08-2011, 12:37 PM
emadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond reputeemadelta86 has a reputation beyond repute
Wow big congrats!!!!

So it looks you are boosting like 1,5 bars ?

Old 11-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by emadelta86
Wow big congrats!!!!

So it looks you are boosting like 1,5 bars ?
Yes 1.5 bar/1.6 on dash all the time run after run from 0-V Max.
Mind you I am running an EBC with Set boost at 85%, gain at 7% and set gain zero.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 200.77 mph K16 Tiptronic.