996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clutch pedal is ultra stiff and very hard to push down with motor on or off..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 11:28 PM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Clutch pedal is ultra stiff and very hard to push down with motor on or off..

After the majority of the winter sitting in the garage i took my car out a couple days ago for lunch, Everything seemed to be fine and normal. I went to a resturant left the car parked for about an hour came back to the car and had a very hard time getting the clutch to the floor to start it. Once started i could not get it into gear. With the car not running it easily goes into every gear. With the car running and clutch fully depressed to the floor i can not get it into any gear??

This is ttboosts old car, which has a clutchmasters stage 3 and a LW flywheel aasco iirc?? I also remember him saying he installed a slave and a accumalator at 48k miles, the car now has 66k. I dont drive it hard at all no hard shifting racing burnouts launching nothing, This all really came out of no where.

I tried runnning the car shutting it off and pumping the clutch pedal no mater how many times i pump it it still feels the same...HARD very very hard so hard it is actually difficult to push down.

I have yet to put it on the lift, I really haven't done much other that search the archives. I did look for fluid leaks and the front tank as well as the PS tank in the engine compartment are both free of leaks, and the fluid level is fine..

Not sure how and what this could be if it is not a slave or accumaltor. The car drove perfect and an hour later it will not go into gear. Any thoughts? i am going to try an accumaltor this week hopefully thats all it is....What do you guys think??

Old 02-19-2012, 06:22 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Rob, That was EXACTLY what happened to me, except I was home. I drove it one day, all was fine, the next afternoon after work I wanted to go for a spin, boom, no clutch. Had it flatbedded to Hoffman in East Hartford. Fortunately the previous owner still had a few months of the warranty left. I really don't recall if they replaced both or just one. Had I known about the GT2 slave conversion then, I would've done it and screwed the warranty, but I had never had a problem since then, but started collecting GT2 parts anyway for the next time I had it in the air. My recommendation is to do the GT2 upgrade now. You will NEVER have this problem again. You can buy all the parts for less than $550 and do it yourself. PM me and I will send you the list of part numbers. If yoiu want call Hoffman and talk to Ethan. Give him the VIN and he can tell you what was done or maybe even your local dealer can tell you? Good Luck...miss the car....yes, even right now...LOL...

Oh and it has the RSR steel flywheel...NOT an Aasco aluminum

Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
Mike is right, the list and DIY is on the site. All the parts can be ordered via Pelican Parts and DGreen78, Don has the necessary bracket with hardware.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:49 PM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Mike Thanks for the quick reply! I realy hope it is just the accumalator. Here is what i am thinking now... To be honest i never drove a turbo until i bought yours. I always felt as the pedal was harder than it should have been. My guess is that it had been "going" from the begining and i had no clue as i never drove another turbo.

After thinking about what happened that day I left something i noticed out of my intial post. When I took the car out of the garage that morning the clutch pedal felt much less predictable as i did stall the car. I never thought much about it and just got on the road.

As i said i really do hope it is just the accumalator, My only real concern is why it will not go into gear. All the post i have read describe the same symptoms i am having other than not being able to get it into gear while the motor is running.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:17 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
The clutch was always heavier than a stock clutch, as we had Clutchmasters modified the pressure plate to hold the higher HP, and I removed the spring assist that used to be in the pedal itself (I gave this to you)...I stalled it from time to time also. If you drive a little, you get used to it and you're fine...if you don't drive it for a week or two..pretty good chance you'll stall it once or twice til you get the feel back.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:29 PM
what do you think about it not going into gear while the motor is running, did that happen to you when your accumalator went?

Old 02-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Actually makes perfect sense...if the slave or accumulator is bad, you are not moving any fluid..ie, you're not moving the pressure plate...it would be the same thing as trying to put it in gear without pushing the clutch pedal in...nearly impossible...

Old 02-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Thanks Mike thats reassuring. I am just going to put a oem accumalator in first to make sure that is the problem. I'll keep you guys updated later this week when i have a bit of time to mess with it.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Doesn't 6Speed rock!

Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by SamboTT
Doesn't 6Speed rock!
oh yeah!!

Old 02-22-2012, 09:03 AM
I got a accumalator today. i'm going to see if i can put it in tonight and see what happens, Wish me luck.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:32 PM
So a little update on my situation. I installed the accumalator tonight, It was very simple. i bled the clutch from the slave not with a power bleeder but the old fashion way by pumping the pedal ( well can't really pump it as it is so hard) I bled it many times while making sure both resovoirs front and back were full. No luck my clutch pedal is still so hard that the seat moves back from all the muscle i have to put into the pedal.

While the car was in the air i noticed that the clutch line that feeds the slave fluid was expanding greatly as we were pumping it...odd?? I am thinking something in the slave is prevent the tranfer of fluid like a blockage and not allowing for movement of the actuator pin. What do you guys think? Once again i am not getting any fluid spilling out of the front or rear resovoirs....

Old 03-01-2012, 09:40 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SamboTT
Doesn't 6Speed rock!
yep. Great support for the car owners!