996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Impressions with the New Front Splitter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:44 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Impressions with the New Front Splitter

First, I want to say that I have no affiliation with the developer and maker of the product. I simply bought the product and giving MHO.

I’m not a die-hard tracker like some, but I love driving aggressively on the Bay Area mountain roads and highways. I have been following the development of this product on 6speed and another car forum:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/267352-front-downforce-staying-classy.html

http://www.renntrack.com/forums/show...3708#post23708

This morning, bright and early, I drove down to f1crazydriver’s house; he and his friend, Ben, installed the splitter for me. The installation was quite simple, just unscrewed some brackets/screws, drilled a few holes on the bottom of the aero lip (none on the car), and installed new screws.

The Look:
It is in anodized steel, very good quality. However, the front edge can follow the aero lip a little closer, but the wider surface gives more down forces. So, it is a catch 22.

The Fit:
They found that the bracket positions of my car year, 2004, and f1crazydriver’s (I believe 2001 or 2002), were slightly different, but the pre-drilled holes still fit my year.

The Drive:
As a passenger in f1’s car - he lives so near Mexico with his own test track. His car turned-in so quick and the front wheels were so planted; the rear of his car gave out a couple of times on high speed turns , but the front stayed put… and he controlled the car with no problem. F1 stated that the car actually braked quicker (feel) due to the planted front.

My drive home – about 60 miles, there were a few things that I noticed the most. Although, I didn’t drive that fast home, I was between 80 and 100 most of the time. I did feel the car was very stable especially during acceleration going uphill, where the front usually felt light. I took some curves at high speed… very planted. I tried some quick lanes changes… very planted. I have done many mods on my car, some were very noticeable after the upgrade and some weren’t. This is for sure one of the most noticeable mod that I have done.

Last edited by MY996TT; 02-27-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Looks really nice. It's also great to hear about how the impact of this mod is so immediately noticeable. Do you think it will be more challenging with driveways (in terms of clearance)?

Old 02-26-2012, 11:32 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
I think you guys would slice my legs off at the ankles if I was standing too close to teh curb...........Seriously though, looks really nice and well developed!

Old 02-27-2012, 10:04 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Very nice pictures Eugene. Your car is crazy fast ! I'm glad you are happy with the results. I bet you now know what i mean with the very sharp turn in ! We should schedule a drive sometime soon in the back roads we typically get the Bay Area Porsche guy's to drive. You will see how big of a difference the front splitter makes through those turns.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:24 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
P.s E, it's made out of 6061 aluminum, heat treated, not steel. The hardware (Bolts and new clips) are made out of stainless steel.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:23 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Yes, that's why it is so light... sorry.

Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
P.s E, it's made out of 6061 aluminum, heat treated, not steel. The hardware (Bolts and new clips) are made out of stainless steel.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
Very nice pictures Eugene. Your car is crazy fast ! I'm glad you are happy with the results. I bet you now know what i mean with the very sharp turn in ! We should schedule a drive sometime soon in the back roads we typically get the Bay Area Porsche guy's to drive. You will see how big of a difference the front splitter makes through those turns.
Thanks f1. That's why I let you and Ben test drove my car without me; you can push the car a little more when I'm not there. If the splitter can make me drive like you, I'll order two more.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Mpsuk will become famous soon enough
Looks good, do you have to have aero to fit it?

Old 02-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Banned
Sql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to behold
I cannot stop thinking about cutting pedestrian's legs off when I look at these, sorry

But glad to hear about the immediate effect!

Old 02-27-2012, 02:59 PM
lol, you have to walk back and see the feet of what your roadkill is. I know... bad joke.

I usually drive slow in high pedestrian areas and stop way before the xwalk.

Originally Posted by Sql_pl
I cannot stop thinking about cutting pedestrian's legs off when I look at these, sorry

But glad to hear about the immediate effect!

Old 02-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Mpsuk will become famous soon enough
You should be more considerate to pedestrians. Have the end sharpened so it hurts less when mutilating passers by. ( thats a joke )

On a serious note, did you tell your insurance? May be an issue if you tell them. Looks cool

Old 02-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Personally, I think the splitter works better with the aero lip because of the extension underneath. There is no support with the OEM lip and you may have to do something visible to tie them together (if you mind the look). Maybe the seller can package it with an aero lip!

Originally Posted by Mpsuk
Looks good, do you have to have aero to fit it?

Old 02-27-2012, 03:25 PM
I really don't think the insurance companies would care, but I'll drive in front of a chp or a police car, and see what they'll say.

Like I said, I'm very selective on where to drive agressively. Of course, this mod is not for you if you live in NYC or London.

One more point on this mod, since you'll have more grip up front. Your alignment can be dialed down and have longer tire life.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
OH my... Do I say anything.

I have watched both threads (this one and the creation of thread)...

All I can say is that the product does not look like it belongs on the road nor does it look like it belongs on a classy car. I also think it creates a serious safety issue... It is a poor attempt at a good idea.

Also you curb it while parking or whatever and the way it is bolted in will not end well for the front of your car.

Simply put I think it looks ugly, heavy and like a cheezy after though bolt on.

Sorry to sound negative.

A good product that does the same thing could be developed but lets face it; how big is the market for such an item.

I will give you an idea that would be real cheap, light and strong enough. Cheap styrofoam sheet wrapped in one layer of fiberglass, carbon/kevlar. You could even used the pink or blue home products. Its shapeable and workable. You can make it the exact shape as the item you already have now. You want even better use some aerospace type honeycomb.

You will be seeing a custome made wing and front splitter gracing the front GT2 bumper of my car some time in the near future. You can critique my work all you want then.

Last edited by Engine Guy; 02-27-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Everyone is entitled of their opinions. Thank you for your input. If I get rid of all the things that others told me they were ugly, would it make myself perfect? I guess we have the same answer.

Originally Posted by Engine Guy
OH my... Do I say anything.

I have watched both threads (this one and the creation of thread)...

All I can say is that the product does not look like it belongs on the road nor does it look like it belongs on a classy car. I also think it creates a serious safety issue... It is a poor attempt at a good idea.

Also you curb it while parking or whatever and the way it is bolted in will not end well for the front of your car.

Simply put I think it looks ugly, heavy and like a cheezy after though bolt on.

Sorry to sound negative.

A good product that does the same thing could be developed but lets face it; how big is the market for such an item.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Impressions with the New Front Splitter