996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Spare Tire Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 04:09 PM
zimt is on a distinguished road
I understand there was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) saying it should be kept in the truck for crash safety reasons. But, unless my memory fails me, and it has been a long time since I last paid attention to this, this was for a 986 Boxster. Almost certainly a 986.1 Boxster.

Nonetheless, there are may who believe, based primarily on this TSB, that it should be kept in 996s. For 996.1s this seems like a very good reason. However, I understand the many changes between the 996.1 and 996.2 (and similarly between 1st and 2nd generation 986s) include changes between the cabin and the trunck. Indeed, the addition of a glovebox is said to have required much more stiffness in that part of the dashboard. This is sometimes (often?) said to be a/the main reason 2002 and later TTs weigh more than 2001s. There are also suggestions that 2002 and later TTs are safer in a crash than 2001s.

So in short, it's entirely possible that even if you need the spare in a 986.1 or 996.1, you don't need it in a 986.2 or 996.2.

It would be nice if Porsche were to provide a definitive answer.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:31 PM
zimt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fung0001
if its design is for collision i am sure porsche would mention it clearly in the manual that owners should not take it away for safety reason
does anyone see this warning in owners' manual?
[SORRY, THE BELOW IS RATHER REDUNDANT. i came back to this thread almost 24 hours after submittinng the above post and I just couldn't see it. Then I wrote the below, and suddenly the above post popped up ... ]

I'm pretty sure there was never anything like this in the manual. However, there was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) saying leave the spare in for crash safety reasons.

However, although my memory may fail me here and it's been a while, I understand that was for a 986 Boxster, and almost certainly for a 986.1 Boxster. Nonetheless, many owners of 986.2s, 996.1s and 996.2s have concluded that you should keep the spare in for safety reasons. In case of 996.1s, this is logical. The front ends of the cars were almost identical.

But the facelifted cars had changes in the area between the passenger compartment and the trunk. What exactly changed I don't know. However, the addition of the glove box is said to have required a lot of additional stiffness and to have added a lot of weight. This is also said to be a/the main reason 2002 and later turbos weigh more than 2001 turbos. And some say the 2002 and later turbos have greater crash safety, possibly due to changes in this area.

So is the spare tire needed for crash safety in the 996.2? Probably no one knows for sure but Porsche. It would be nice if they could resolve this mystery.

Last edited by zimt; 01-07-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:15 PM
fung0001 is on a distinguished road
Thx
i asked this because i do not have a manual come with my car.
thats why do not know the rubber adjustment to control front lid in another thread here
i have downloaded one for 996 (not sure 996.1 or 996.2) from tech forum and it is time to get a closer look at pc monitor rather mobile phone screen

Last edited by fung0001; 01-07-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:47 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by zimt
[SORRY, THE BELOW IS RATHER REDUNDANT. i came back to this thread almost 24 hours after submittinng the above post and I just couldn't see it. Then I wrote the below, and suddenly the above post popped up ... ]

I'm pretty sure there was never anything like this in the manual. However, there was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) saying leave the spare in for crash safety reasons.

However, although my memory may fail me here and it's been a while, I understand that was for a 986 Boxster, and almost certainly for a 986.1 Boxster. Nonetheless, many owners of 986.2s, 996.1s and 996.2s have concluded that you should keep the spare in for safety reasons. In case of 996.1s, this is logical. The front ends of the cars were almost identical.

But the facelifted cars had changes in the area between the passenger compartment and the trunk. What exactly changed I don't know. However, the addition of the glove box is said to have required a lot of additional stiffness and to have added a lot of weight. This is also said to be a/the main reason 2002 and later turbos weigh more than 2001 turbos. And some say the 2002 and later turbos have greater crash safety, possibly due to changes in this area.

So is the spare tire needed for crash safety in the 996.2? Probably no one knows for sure but Porsche. It would be nice if they could resolve this mystery.
None of the 996.2 GT2/3s have a spare tire from the factory. In it's place is a foam tray with a bottle of tire sealant and a small air compressor. The front end construction is identical on the TT/GT2/3 which should alleviate your concerns about the spare tire being required as part of the crash structure. Here is what the tool tray looks like:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...996-c4-tt.html