996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Build Thread - Vivid Racing building Teflon's 996 Turbo X50

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 06:28 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Build Thread - Vivid Racing building Teflon's 996 Turbo X50

I've worked out all of the details and my 2004 X50 should be at Vivid next week to start the build process. The full list of changes are:
  • Clutch Masters stage 3 (FX300) fiber tough clutch / modded pressure plate
  • Clutch Masters LWFW
  • GT2 slave/master clutch conversion
  • OEM 997 tranny mount
  • Agency Power diverter valves
  • Agency Power F hose
  • G-box 2nd gear popout fix
  • EPL tune (including before/after dyno runs with and without all mods)
  • 911tuning flexible turbo inlet pipes
  • Agency Power exhaust with quad tips
  • OEM new front brake pads, rotors and sensors
  • Agency Power stainless brake lines F&R
  • Motul DOT-4 racing brake fluid
  • Eibach F&R sway bars
  • Denso one step colder spark plugs
  • Coolant system fix - welding 8 metal hoses/joints
  • Replace 3 rubber coolant hoses (driver's side, passenger side, water pump)
  • Oil & Coolant changes
I'm going to be heading out of the country for a month, but Dan at Vivid has offered to post pictures / progress in this thread while I'm gone.

Can't wait to get back and go pick it up for the 1000 mile road trip home!

Old 03-16-2012, 06:29 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
WOW...Congrats...Did you leave him your credit card also.....LOL...

Old 03-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Yup stay tuned!

Old 03-17-2012, 09:32 AM
greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !
My cars going in in 2 weeks for almost all the same stuff. What turbos do ya have.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:54 AM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
It's an X50 car with the stock K24's.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:18 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
I think since he is that far,that he should do the K24/18's and be done with it?? IMO

Old 03-17-2012, 01:26 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
it would be great once finished if you'd post your first impressions of the gt2 conversion, and particularly the pros/cons of the lwfw's noise/chatter/faster rev capabilities etc. for those of us still undecided.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by johnspeed
I think since he is that far,that he should do the K24/18's and be done with it?? IMO
There's always one more thing.

This already has overshot my budget by a lot and I'm focusing on reliability items first like the coolant system. If I were really trying to just be done with the car, I'd go for a suspension first. That has its own problems though because the front lip is already very low and can be difficult to drive in a lot of places in the mountains. I'll probably put in the M030 sport suspension at some point since that has the lowest drop of anything out there other than just setting your coilovers very high.

Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
it would be great once finished if you'd post your first impressions of the gt2 conversion, and particularly the pros/cons of the lwfw's noise/chatter/faster rev capabilities etc. for those of us still undecided.
You'll definitely get lots of photos/feedback/posts on all of the changes!

I went with the Clutch Masters LWFW specifically because it's heavier than the Sachs option and hence should produce lower chatter, but still is much lighter than stock so I should get quicker spool/more power than stock than a DMFW.

I was undecided on a lot of these things, and did extensive research by using these forums, talking to many different people at tuning and service shops, manufacturers, and other members. There's a ton of information out there, but it's never in one concise place!

Old 03-18-2012, 03:01 AM
Here's some pictures of the car when I bought it and since then with the MA Shaw GT2-style front bumper (with smoked side markers) and HRE R93 19" wheels. Those are the only mods to the car other than what came stock like the sport steering wheel, sport seats, SSK, and about $15k of other interior mods.
BEFORE (at purchase 3 years ago):

TODAY:

And a couple of gratuitous shots of my other two projects right now.

2011 Subaru STI Limited sedan
in DGM (Dark Grey Metallic) with black interior. Mods: Cobb stage 1 91 octane tune, AEM cold air intake, Enkei Imola 18" winter wheels with Dunlop Winter Sports, Nameless Performance axle-back dual muffler deletes with custom black powdercoated tips, debadged, ATE Super Blue brake fluid.

1977 Ford F150 highboy 351Windsor 33" off-road specific tires, aluminum racing wheels (including two full-size off-road spares in the bed), custom 10k lb winch mount, roll bar, much, much, MUCH more!

First for the butt shot. The truck has had the winch added since I took these and it's been painted black.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:30 AM
TTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the roughTTurbRon is a jewel in the rough
Make sure they check proper angle on trigger wheel on new flywheel as mine was incorrect from CM and found that out after the initial install. Just looking out so you don't run into the same problem.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:33 AM
Banned
Sql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to behold
What in the world did you put in that interior for $15k?

Old 03-18-2012, 09:04 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
I'll probably put in the M030 sport suspension at some point since that has the lowest drop of anything out there other than just setting your coilovers very high.

You'll definitely get lots of photos/feedback/posts on all of the changes!

I went with the Clutch Masters LWFW specifically because it's heavier than the Sachs option and hence should produce lower chatter, but still is much lighter than stock so I should get quicker spool/more power than stock than a DMFW.

I was undecided on a lot of these things, and did extensive research by using these forums, talking to many different people at tuning and service shops, manufacturers, and other members. There's a ton of information out there, but it's never in one concise place!
that would be great. i'm sure we all look forward to hearing of the clutch upgrades. i also have the MO30 setup and love the way it handles esp in canyons, and yes. it's low. great pics.. grill screens. nice.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by Sql_pl
What in the world did you put in that interior for $15k?
First of all, it was the original owner who special ordered it that put it all in there. It was $150k sticker so if you take $115k stock, plus $18k for the X50, that actually leaves you with $17k and not $15k.

Here's what I can remember right now:
Nav with premium sound and 6 disc changer
Full leather
Heated, power sport seats
Aluminum trim package (I think there's a couple packages actually inc. shifter, ebrake, door pulls, and a bunch of other small bits and pieces)
Crests in headrests
Turbo logo and stitching on center console lid
Full leather
Rear center console in leather
1-2 other leather trim items I can't remember
Sport steering wheel
Turbo emblem painted body color (ok so that's an exterior mod )
SSK (ok so again not exactly an interior mod)

I think that's it but I'm probably missing a few things. There's a whole bunch of $300-500 options on the car.

Last edited by teflon_jones; 03-18-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by TTurbRon
Make sure they check proper angle on trigger wheel on new flywheel as mine was incorrect from CM and found that out after the initial install. Just looking out so you don't run into the same problem.
I'm assuming Vivid is going to do it right with all of these clutch kits they've installed. I'm going to be thousands of miles away for most of the build, and will have to fly to Arizona to pick it up, so I'm going to take it for a drive for a while on the streets around the Vivid shop before I head back to CO.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Banned
Sql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to beholdSql_pl is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
First of all, it was the original owner who special ordered it that put it all in there. It was $150k sticker so if you take $115k stock, plus $18k for the X50, that actually leaves you with $17k and not $15k.

Here's what I can remember right now:
Nav with premium sound and 6 disc changer
Full leather
Heated, power sport seats
Aluminum trim package (I think there's a couple packages actually inc. shifter, ebrake, door pulls, and a bunch of other small bits and pieces)
Crests in headrests
Turbo logo and stitching on center console lid
Full leather
Rear center console in leather
1-2 other leather trim items I can't remember
Sport steering wheel
Turbo emblem painted body color (ok so that's an exterior mod )
SSK (ok so again not exactly an interior mod)

I think that's it but I'm probably missing a few things. There's a whole bunch of $300-500 options on the car.
Was there a "Sport Steering Wheel" available? I thought you could only get a normal 3-spoke that all 996tt's seem to have?

So I guess it pretty much has 6 options:

- Heated Sport Seats
- Full Leather Package
- Full Aluminum Trim
- Porsche Crests
- Porsche logo on middle compartment lid
- Sat-Nav

Did not know Porsche charged that much for these items.

Oh and as an aside question - which type of leather is the one with all these small holes? I know there is an option called "supple" leather? How do I know if I see "supple" leather?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Build Thread - Vivid Racing building Teflon's 996 Turbo X50