996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Making my own RUF or PBK style exhaust.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 01:39 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Making my own RUF or PBK style exhaust.

I want to modify my stock exhaust like the RUF. I understand that they remove the stock cats and install a single 100 cell. They also remove a restrictive pipe in the muffler and place a larger one in there, if I am not mistaken. Could someone point out which pipe that is? I have a plasma cutter and a welder and anything else I might need to do this. I'm wondering how I should go about opening up the muffler also.

This is a photo of the drill mod, used this pic for reference.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:34 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
See this thread :

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/996-turbo-gt2/78446-modified-oem-muffler-996tt-29.html

and post #424 for better pictures. EDIT: Here are the pics:

If you want to do a really unrestrictive OEM-look exhaust my suggestion is this:
-cut open the exhaust from the seams. Very thin angle grinder's blade is just fine
-remove pacmen
- either 1 open the ends of perforated muffler pipes OR 2 replace them with one about 2½" perforated pipe
*Option 1 is easy. Option 2 requires the removal of the muffling section, exit pipe must be cut loose. Here the plasma cutter becomes handy. Self-explanatory when you've opened the exhaust.
-replace silencing material
(-replace the primary catalytic converters with 100 cell ones. Will require new tune to solve CELs from secondary lambdas)
-weld the exhaust back together and you're done

If you have the tools and ability to do this the cost is minimal without replacing cats.

I've replaced the cats and have a slightly different solution from advice above...pictures will follow when the exhaust is installed. Hopefully within few weeks.

Last edited by pete95zhn; 04-01-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:54 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Thanks, could not have hoped for a better reply. I'm taking the exhaust off today.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:53 PM
Just took it off, weighs a million pounds, no chance that I put it back on my car. Gonna build my own exhaust.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:28 AM
Kerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to allKerrage is a name known to all
R u sure ruf puts 100cells in? or are do they put 200 in?

Old 04-02-2012, 03:22 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Kerrage
R u sure ruf puts 100cells in? or are do they put 200 in?
I have the RUF exhaust. RUF has verified that they use 100 cell cats...

Old 04-02-2012, 11:13 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Yes, they use 100 cell cats in their exhausts - I had one for a while. The Ruf exhaust dynos much lower than other aftermarket exhausts, though...due to the resrictive path inherent in the OEM muffer. While most aftermarket performance exhausts seek to improve flow with a straight-thru design (and a mix of no baffles, larger piping, smooth flowing curves, etc.), Ruf chooses to use the OEM exhaust as their platform - it's heavy and restrictive.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos