996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

3.5" exhaust testing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 12:01 AM
9bells is a jewel in the rough9bells is a jewel in the rough9bells is a jewel in the rough9bells is a jewel in the rough
3.5" exhaust testing?

Hey guys, anybody tested 3.5" exhaust on these cars before?
I'm sure 3" does fine, but has anybody done a same-day test between the 2?
Going to be doing one this week as it's an all-out effort for power.
Done 2.5" and 3" already, and saw the remarks in the 2.5" vs 3" thread posted by Max. Seems reasonable to expect 3" has it's limits as well.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:46 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Just in 'Theory'.....Info that I saw published on flow with diameters relating to HP, It 'Seems' that it could handle most of our cars packages??
But as I found out, the only real test is the lie detector,The Dyno...LOL..

Old 06-03-2012, 12:16 PM
ek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud ofek9max has much to be proud of
Hey 9bells. Email me!

Maxwell.n22@gmail.com

Old 06-03-2012, 04:21 PM
9bells is a jewel in the rough9bells is a jewel in the rough9bells is a jewel in the rough9bells is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Just in 'Theory'.....Info that I saw published on flow with diameters relating to HP, It 'Seems' that it could handle most of our cars packages??
But as I found out, the only real test is the lie detector,The Dyno...LOL..

Yes, and operated by somebody obsessed with variables. Seen so many dyno comparisons rendered useless by not controlling the many variables.
600whp is where I would worry about the 3". I just thought somebody would have tested this already. Guess I'll maybe get into it. Just seems like a hassle to tune these things.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:23 AM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 9bells
Yes, and operated by somebody obsessed with variables. Seen so many dyno comparisons rendered useless by not controlling the many variables.
600whp is where I would worry about the 3". I just thought somebody would have tested this already. Guess I'll maybe get into it. Just seems like a hassle to tune these things.
Sounds like you wouldnt believe a Dyno comparision either then?? , Not all are useless,,Being there,knowing your dyno operator is keeping variables the same,same day testing make a reliable result..
Also a 3'' should not choke down 600 whp IMO..

Old 06-04-2012, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by johnspeed
Sounds like you wouldnt believe a Dyno comparision either then?? , Not all are useless,,Being there,knowing your dyno operator is keeping variables the same,same day testing make a reliable result..
Also a 3'' should not choke down 600 whp IMO..

No, I would trust it to see it. My personal friend runs a shop, and I ventured out once from under his wing. It was scary. No tire pressure check, no run-in to confirm rpm, and no temp check on anything. Full bore pass first shot without even knowing the desired rpm. Clowns to say the least.
There are a few others in town I would trust having been around now.
I've learned long ago that numbers are just numbers, and variables are important to repeatable results.
Anyway, doubt this will get tested against anything smaller since the car is likely to be quite modified shortly. Maybe I can find a guinea pig somewhere down the line and test for giggles on an alpha car or something.
I think the sound of this exhaust will be termed aggressive....
Thin wall 3.5" 321 "X"...

lighting inside was poor, sorry...

Old 06-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Talking to a few guys, they have seen gains on other cars going to 3.5".
Hopefully this sounds nasty in a good way!

Old 06-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Talking to a few guys, they have seen gains on other cars going to 3.5".
Hopefully this sounds nasty in a good way!
if you run gt35rs sure you want open 4" exhaust. if your running oem or similar turbos with 600 crank theres no point...
that exhaust without cats or mufflers will be unbearable to most... even I, at one time got rid of my straight pipes...
only so much an ear can take...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Agree with Mark - 3.5" = unbearable to most owners...

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos
Old 06-06-2012, 01:04 PM
35's are not out of the question.
It will have small resonators and 2 small mufflers. I agree, not for everybody at all.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:04 PM
split is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these partssplit is infamous around these parts
Question

35's are not out of the question.
It will have small resonators and 2 small mufflers. I agree, not for everybody at all.
where are you going to fit all that? most people do hfc's right off the cat and then small resonators before and after the x-pipe. maybe you can do resonated tips as well? I would think with the 3.5" piping there wouldn't be any room for the small resonators, as those resonators have a 3.5" inch diameter anyway. In suppose in your circumstance you could use resonators instead of HFCs?

Old 06-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by split
where are you going to fit all that? most people do hfc's right off the cat and then small resonators before and after the x-pipe. maybe you can do resonated tips as well? I would think with the 3.5" piping there wouldn't be any room for the small resonators, as those resonators have a 3.5" inch diameter anyway. In suppose in your circumstance you could use resonators instead of HFCs?

Correct. No cats needed here so they will be replaced by 4"OD resonators.
Mufflers will be small, and just before the "X".

Old 06-22-2012, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Agree with Mark - 3.5" = unbearable to most owners...
I would have thought so too, but so many are running without mufflers, and lots of guys asking for that.
The car has mufflers built in, with bearings...

Old 06-22-2012, 12:18 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !

^^ Is that a money shot or what?

Weld ****.

A

Old 06-22-2012, 12:32 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
if you run gt35rs sure you want open 4" exhaust. if your running oem or similar turbos with 600 crank theres no point...
that exhaust without cats or mufflers will be unbearable to most... even I, at one time got rid of my straight pipes...
only so much an ear can take...
This^^. I couldn't take it any longer with the straight pipes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 3.5" exhaust testing?