996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EBWerks 996 Turbo S Exhaust Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Chef996TurboS will become famous soon enoughChef996TurboS will become famous soon enough
EBWerks 996 Turbo S Exhaust Review

So after spending a lot of time in search for an exhaust I decided to go with this EBWerks system as I wanted something that would be pretty aggressive & something that would Pop, Crackle & Bang when changing gear’s & on the over run ect.

First I must thank Ken & the crew at NineExcellence for making me feel very welcome & doing such a great job fitting this to my car. They were pretty shocked when they realised that it had no cats & no mufflers but seemed pretty impressed with the sound it put out. I also got to have a ride in their K1639 car which has featured on the forums already & all I can say is WOW that thing seriously shifts with ZERO lag & train pulling power all the way to the redline. Thanks Ken!

I must also add that this is the first EBWerks exhaust system for the 996 turbo to land on the shores of England! & it’s also the first of all these systems made to use the slash cut tips, which I think look fantastic on the car. It seems to give the back end an angry/aggressive kind of look & fills the cut outs really well.

System Info:
X Pipe = 3” All the way from turbo’s to just before the flared 4” slash cut tips
Extended secondary o2 Bung extenders on decat pipe to stop cell light
Weight= 11kg Inc cat delete pipes
Decibels @ idle Warm=75
Decibels Cold Start=95 on initial start then drop to 85 after 1 min
Decibels held @ 3k= 98
3rd gear WOT window open 103db peak

So my thoughts:
First off on a cold start it is LOUD with a lovely deep burble & growl that has a kind of spitting sound to it. It then quietens down a little after a minute or so and again after a couple minutes more. I would say it is initially a little excessive when cold but once the car is warm it sounds so nice just ticking over and is not too loud at all.

Once on the move it makes a really nice deep & almost fluttery sound on light throttle & then if keeping it on light throttle once it hits 3k the note changes to a much higher pitch & sounds so sweet.

It sounds so good at this rpm that it tempts you to drive along between 3 & 4k all the time, it is a lot quieter at this rpm too! It loses all the deep sounds & just emits a really nice na sounding high pitch note.
When you decide to plant the throttle to the floor you are greeted with the most amazing sound that I have ever heard. It’s deep until 3k then between 3 & 5k it sings with a much higher pitch & then between 5 & 7k well…… all hell breaks loose! The sound at this high rpm is just mind blowing, it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end & sounds so aggressive & violent. The only way I can describe it is like the sound of a full on race car.

The sound of the turbos spooling is amazing & the pops crackles & bangs it produces are just to die for! And this is exactly what I was looking for
One big bonus was when a car pulled alongside at the lights and first told me how awesome it sounded and then asked how come it was spitting flames out the exhaust tips. This just made my day as I’ve always dreamed of having a car that would spit an after burner type of flame out of the exhaust.

I drove home late one night which was 110 miles just on the motorway & I had a good chance to cruise at different speeds as the roads were pretty empty.
If I'm honest I did find that cruising between 65/85 there was quite a lot of drone & resonating happening, it was really bad around 70/80 with a slight amount of load on the car (small incline) I found I had to open the window an inch to stop the resonating in my ears. The drone was still there but not as bad.

Now the strange thing is that bang on 90 all this goes away and all you can hear is a sweet higher pitched note that is in no way intrusive & just perfect to cruise along to.
It is really surprising how much quieter it goes as soon as you hit 3k / 90 in top gear.
Now to be honest this car is a days off toy & with the type of driving I do I rarely sit on the motorway so it's not such an issue for me.

Now in the few weeks I have had it fitted I have had lots & lots of people tell me how amazing the car sounds & it now turns pretty much every head that it passes. Ive had people at traffic lights wind down their window just to tell me how good the car sounds & lots of thumbs up from people walking down the street.

I’ve taken 4 or 5 people out in the car & all were quite surprised at how loud the car is but as soon as you rev it up or start driving and then give it some welly they have all turned round & said that this is the best & most aggressive sound that they have ever heard come from a car.
A small part of me does feel that it is a bit excessive in the loudness dept when you are just pulling away & going through the gears on light throttle. But then the sound when you put your foot down & all the pops, crackles & bangs along with the sound of the turbo’s spooling & the flame spitting more than makes up for any downsides 100 times over.

So overall I would say yes it does drone & if I had to use it as a daily driver mostly on the motorways then it would properly be a bit too much. But if like me it’s your weekend toy & you don’t mind all the attention that it will bring (so far only good) and want to drive something that sounds like it should be on a race track then this exhaust is almost perfect in MY eyes.
Yes it would be even better if there was less drone at certain speeds but if it was at the cost of the overall sound then I'm more than happy to put up with the few downsides of this system.

Power wise, previously I had the stock exhaust & cats on the car & with its flash it boosted 1.1 all day long. Now it is running decats & this straight through system the car is still boosting 1.1 but has noticeably more power. I had never seen the psm kicking in through second in the dry & WOT but now it sometimes squirms & the psm kicks in a little in the same conditions. The car is now a lot more responsive too, this is in all manners of driving the car. The boost also comes on a lot quicker now so feels a lot more urgent in every way.

I would like to thank Enrique for a fantastic service & constant contact throughout the process from ordering it to getting it delivered to the UK. He really did go above and beyond where he didn’t have to.
I made the video to try & show some real world driving & also what it’s like once you open it up. Sorry it’s soooo long but hope you enjoy.

Name:  IMG_17451.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  202.9 KB

Name:  IMG_17361.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  224.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1737.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  243.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1712.jpg
Views: 1855
Size:  226.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1707.jpg
Views: 1514
Size:  238.0 KB

Last edited by Chef996TurboS; 07-31-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:38 PM
johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !johnspeed Is a GOD !
I can not wait until they build a 2.75 version, aren't they? I WISH..
That would fit us quieter guys..

Old 07-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Hams996TT will become famous soon enoughHams996TT will become famous soon enough
I really like the slash cut tip presented that way. It looks really sharp. Congrats on the exhaust. I'm sure you're really enjoying it!

Old 07-31-2012, 04:07 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Very detailed write up. The exhaust sounds as good in England as it does in Texas. Although after viewing your vid, I would kill myself if I had to drive on your roads.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !Blockhed Is a GOD !
Todd can only go straight

Old 07-31-2012, 09:06 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlackHorseTurbo
Although after viewing your vid, I would kill myself if I had to drive on your roads.
almost a james dean moment when that hayseed pulled his truck through the roundabout.

great sounding exhaust! sounds like ebworks is the *new* exhaust for the 996t. well done eb.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:31 AM
birgppa is on a distinguished road
Great writeup and video! I cant wait for mine to come to Sweden

Old 08-01-2012, 01:28 AM
schwarz is on a distinguished road
So jealous right now....

Old 08-01-2012, 05:44 AM
LiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond reputeLiNks has a reputation beyond repute
Those tips look great! Love the sound! I want one!

Old 08-01-2012, 06:52 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I also love that exhaust and the slash cut tips! Thanks for sharing all the details with us.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:32 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
tips look great

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 08-01-2012, 08:20 AM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
best video yet that really seems to show much more how the system is to live with in all conditions. Thank you very much!

Old 08-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Apex Factor is a jewel in the roughApex Factor is a jewel in the roughApex Factor is a jewel in the rough
Nice write up!

I still love the way mine sounds and can't wait for my slant tips!

Old 08-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Dr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Jekyll is a glorious beacon of light
Those tips look awesome. I love the sound too... but I don't think I'd be able to live with it every day. And my wife would probably kill me.

Any plans to throw a couple of mufflers on it? I know it would mute the awesomeness of it, but that's something I'd be able to live with if the cruising drone is toned down a bit.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:21 PM
mrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond reputemrmaass has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Enrique - can you PM me how much it will cost to have those tips on my exhaust when I get it back from you (soon I hope)
Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: EBWerks 996 Turbo S Exhaust Review