996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Trunk Light Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 06:01 AM
King James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond reputeKing James has a reputation beyond repute
Is it possible to do a continuity test on each one without pulling? I haven't looked at my car specifically but if it has the standard fuses with exposed poles on the back that's the best way.

Take your multimeter put it on continuity, to test it should beep when you touch the terminals together. This tells you 100% the loop is closed (good fuse) and takes the guessing out. Test every fuse without removing and you'll know if its a fuse in that pannel or not.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:01 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Difficult to follow this light in the wiring diagram because this electrical section is part of the alarm control unit and it is where it got his power (I think). B8-E1-C3 would be the first one to look at....

Old 06-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
Thanks, KJ. I did the continuity check with one of those simple ones with an LED indicator, and, unfortunately or fortunately depending how you look at it, they all came up green.

One of the results of my search brought me to this link: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ight-fuse.html

It refers to a 997, but also mentions a VSE - of which I have no knowledge. But is there a hint here that, assuming I shorted the circuit when I pulled the leads, that some module disabled those lighting elements in self defense?

-V

Old 07-02-2013, 10:13 PM
irish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to allirish100p is a name known to all
V
I don't remember which fuse it was. I remember it being an odd one though, one of the smaller amp rating ones (i believe a 5 amp).

James

Old 07-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by irish100p
V
I don't remember which fuse it was. I remember it being an odd one though, one of the smaller amp rating ones (i believe a 5 amp).

James
Thanks James.

I'll triple-check those, but don't have much hope because they've all checked out so far. That's without pulling them, though. But I can't see how the meter would read continuity if a fuse was blown.

Anyways... thoughts from the crowd on that VSE mumbo-jumbo above?

-V

Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 AM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
Did a quick search could not fine definition for vse module I would suppose some one with more knowledge or dealer could give more input. I cant help but believe there has to be fuse some how connected with the power to lights? I would recheck for the hundredth time and look for loose connector or ground issue etc and try unhooking battery for and hour or so gl.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Closest I could find is something called a "Vehicle State Estimator." Yeah, ummm... I estimate that it's gonna be a pain in the *** to fix these lights.

See? I can do it too.
-V

Old 07-04-2013, 10:53 AM
uschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant futureuschoice has a brilliant future
Vendetta,
Pull those fuses that may be on that circuit and test each one. Check the resistance to see if the fuse is still good or not. Continuity checks can be misleading if you don't isolate the component you are testing.
Or just pull the fuses one by one and temporally insert a new one.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Thanks, uschoice. I will absolutely do that prior to a dealership visit.

One question for the community: Will pulling these fuses reset anything that I'll need a security code to reactivate? I've seen pics of code cards to reactivate radios and such. I'm not certain I have those. I'd hate to pull something and cause a bigger problem for myself.

-V

Old 07-04-2013, 03:10 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vendetta
Thanks, uschoice. I will absolutely do that prior to a dealership visit.

One question for the community: Will pulling these fuses reset anything that I'll need a security code to reactivate? I've seen pics of code cards to reactivate radios and such. I'm not certain I have those. I'd hate to pull something and cause a bigger problem for myself.

-V
Not in your car. Codes are stored in the DME.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:53 PM
67427 will become famous soon enough
I have been reading this posting because I have the same problem and was about to do the same, pull all fuses and check them, I have a 2005 911 996 turbo S and was asking myself the question on the codes. Are codes also stored in the dme in this model. Will I need a radio code? Thks.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:25 PM
UPDATE: Still no luck...

Ok, I pulled every GD, MF'ing, CS'ing fuse one at a time, replaced each with a known-good, AND visually tested for continuity. Hell, I even faced 'em so that they're all reading the same direction when I reseated them. (Except for the spares in the bottom row, they're facing away.) Yeah a little OCD. Don't judge me.

Anyway, no joy. Well at least I know what it's NOT!

No apparent issues after the fact. Had to cycle the driver side windows because it was those few millimeters down when you open it. Rolled them down (hold buttons for another 10 seconds or so) closed the doors, then repeat on roll up.

No problem with the radio or anything else. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

67427, keep in touch. If you get it sorted, let the community know. I'll do the same, of course.

-V

Old 07-05-2013, 09:00 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 67427
Will I need a radio code? Thks.
Nope, you're good to go...errr...fiddle.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:44 AM
67427 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by wross996TT
Nope, you're good to go...errr...fiddle.
Thank you, I had actually read the manual and had not been able to determine whether there was a radio code or if there is a fuse that takes care of all of these lights. I will try the fuses tomorrow.

In an effort to provide the facts of my situation in case it may help in the diagnostic evaluation: I was changing the convenience lights to the leds sold by ECS, which I purchased after becoming aware of their advertisement (I also changed the brake light in the airfoil wing with no problems at the same time), I changed the trunk light, the door convenience lights, the footweel light on the driver's side, and the engine cover light. Upto that point all of them were working (I had previously changed the backlights [stop lights, turn signals, backup lights, and license lights] to leds when the saga of having Led backlights manufactured for 996TTs cratered in this forum, no need to rehash here) When my son, who was helping me, was changing the light bulb in the passenger footwell, he shorted the terminals and all of these lights went out. Also a message appeared in the dash that there was (as I recall, because I do not drive this vehicle except sometimes on weekends) a problem with the computer and to take the vehicle to the dealer.
I will provide an update and accurate problem message in a future posting.

Last edited by 67427; 07-05-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Good info. Keep us posted if you learn more.

Thanks,
-V

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trunk Light Issues