996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

800 hp on K16 Billets?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:36 PM
layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AudiBull
I already understood all of this. I brought up your kit as an example since you are a tuner that Randy trusts and respects. You market your kits based on crank hp, just like practically every other tuner. I brought up the stock engine point because Randy thought it was unscrupulous to market a package that he saw as being unsafe for a stock engine. I wasn't questioning the validity of your numbers, simply using them as a counterpoint based on your relationship with him.
This is known as "throwing in the kitchen sink" You were using whatever you
could to get at me and take a cheap shot. Go back and read Markskis
advertisement. He clearly states that at a given power level you must build
the engine. Not to mention, gt30 turbos and 16 billets / a28s are apples and
oranges. For someone doing years worth of research before buying a car,
you sure aint learning much.

And Marek knows me, he'll be the first one to tell you I don't play favorites.
It's like I've said and I'll say it again, if you or anyone else has an issue
with Marek, start a thread. I can't because he's been 100% honest with me.
We have argued and we have fought but he's shown me nothing but honesty
and good customer service.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:40 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I'm actually conservative in my hp approach. I tuned Randy's car when it had the k16billets and a28s. Since then he has moved on to bigger and better.
I train my clients to respect the car especially when you have a boost controller. But I can tell you one thing , and I have been around this a long time, that it takes a 30r Type turbo to make 700rwhp on let's say 104 octane at 1.5 bar give of take .1 bar. And this statement has nothing to do with the thread at hand. I'm just speaking my mind. Had 9s been so easy we would have a dozen of cars running it and a couple of 8s. The best one can do is establish a healthy relationship with a tuner of his / her choice and follow thru. That's my best advice.
Markski

Old 01-19-2014, 10:44 PM
layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !layinback Is a GOD !
LOL, I've heard these two assertions over and over:

1. All the tuners are making exaggerated claims.

2. Why don't you go after Evoms, Switzer, Markski etc...

Answer to #1: Because it is widespread and the "norm" doesn't mean you
cow down and accept it.

Answer to #2: My thread is about AMSs claim regarding k16s. I chose it
because it is THE most blatant example in my opinion. If you want to
challenge another tuners claim, start your own f'n thread.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
I'm actually conservative in my hp approach. I tuned Randy's car when it had the k16billets and a28s. Since then he has moved on to bigger and better.
I train my clients to respect the car especially when you have a boost controller. But I can tell you one thing , and I have been around this a long time, that it takes a 30r Type turbo to make 700rwhp on let's say 104 octane at 1.5 bar give of take .1 bar. And this statement has nothing to do with the thread at hand. I'm just speaking my mind. Had 9s been so easy we would have a dozen of cars running it and a couple of 8s. The best one can do is establish a healthy relationship with a tuner of his / her choice and follow thru. That's my best advice.
Markski
You were constantly reeling me in! I would say, " Can I possibly make
700 wheel hp on a28s?" and you would say, " Probably not." You told
me to not run high boost unless I was running ms109 and I didn't listen
and I popped a head. The majority of us who have been down this road
a few times, know that the claims by AMS are not realistic and dangerous
to the health of your engine. Period the end.

However, you built my a28 car and it pretty much killed 90% of the BIG
turbos out there. Same for the k16 build.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:09 PM
scottr126 can only hope to improve
For being a self proclaimed rich/smart guy you really come across as a child throwing a tantrum; kicking and screaming.

Don't you have anything better to do than post on here?

P.S. Thank you for the entertainment.

Originally Posted by layinback
You were constantly reeling me in! I would say, " Can I possibly make
700 wheel hp on a28s?" and you would say, " Probably not." You told
me to not run high boost unless I was running ms109 and I didn't listen
and I popped a head. The majority of us who have been down this road
a few times, know that the claims by AMS are not realistic and dangerous
to the health of your engine. Period the end.

However, you built my a28 car and it pretty much killed 90% of the BIG
turbos out there. Same for the k16 build.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by AudiBull
What's your definition of honest? As long as their customers are pleased and get the results they are advertising I'd call it honest. You just talked about how bad Vivid parts are, but you are basing everything on your experience with those turbos. You don't think a company that has world records on multiple platforms would be able to maximize the efficiency of these turbos and modify them accordingly? If they "Frankenstein" them and come up with reliable numbers what does that matter? Do you just want the A28 record back and think that because they didn't use identical turbos it should be rescinded?
Please go and participate on a forum that you actually own a car in.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by scottr126
For being a self proclaimed rich/smart guy you really come across as a child throwing a tantrum; kicking and screaming.

Don't you have anything better to do than post on here?

P.S. Thank you for the entertainment.
You are welcome for the entertainment Scott. My intelligence is a bit suspect
of late and my riches are vastly depleting by way of Porsche and Obama. I
fear that in a year or so I will be broke and possibly hiding in the shadows
of a Peugeot forum.

Do I have anything better to post? Well, that reminds me of a friend who
asked me if I thought his wife was attractive and I responded, " Compared
to what?"

Old 01-19-2014, 11:27 PM
and Scottr I see you are from Indiana and you've posted 4 times over the past 10
months.

Fun state, Indiana. Boy my family loves to hear those words: " Honey, gather up the
kids, we're going to Indiana."

I tell you what... boy o boy.

Yep, I guess this thread can't compare with the smoking nightlife in Ft. Wayne but
I'll give it my best.....

Old 01-19-2014, 11:39 PM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Could we finally get some reality into this thread, please?

Like a compressor map that proves an even remotely close flow of 42 lb/min of air from (Required from a single turbo on a 996 turbos' engine to get 800 crankhp's worth of airflow.) any wheel that fits into a K16's compressor housing??

Or a somekind of proof that 42 lb/min intake airflow's equal of exhaust flow with 1.7 bar (or just 1.4 bar) boost doesn't skyrocket the backpressure and thus explode the engine?

Below's pics from AMS's pages showing quite ordinary looking K16's...both compressor and turbine sides.

The same reality check should be done to A28 discussion too, but it's been quite entertaining though...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AMS_Performance_Porsche_996_Turbo_Upgrade_Exhaust_Side_500x375.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	323067   Click image for larger version

Name:	AMS_Performance_Porsche_996_Turbo_Upgrade_1200x800.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	323068  

Last edited by pete95zhn; 01-20-2014 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:02 AM
Pete, this is what I've been saying. We've talked about flow and back pressure.
I din't have the visual aids though!

Old 01-20-2014, 01:02 AM
w00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to beholdw00zy is a splendid one to behold
This thread is pointless by now.

HP numbers are just numbers and 60-130mph runs don't tell the hole truth

Old 01-20-2014, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by w00zy
This thread is pointless by now.

HP numbers are just numbers and 60-130mph runs don't tell the hole truth
Agreed

Old 01-20-2014, 01:40 AM
pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !pete95zhn Is a GOD !
Pete, this is what I've been saying. We've talked about flow and back pressure.
True, AMS has just passed those questions unanswered. As they did to Nicks note about IC independent testing...

And yes, I'm saying too that's 800 hp is not feasible. Not with K16s IRL. BTW, a friend of mine bought AMS's A28 kit, "capable of 700 hp". The car has all "supporting mods", except oversized turbo in/out piping and whatever they did at dyno -yes, it's dyno tuned- it maxed out at 600 crankhp. Turbine restricting...has Europipe's exhaust, so the issue isn't there. With 1 bar boost the pre-turbine pressure is 1.7 bar. Rising exponentially with increasing boost... Acceleration numbers support that 600 crankhp too. Next summer they will try with E85, just to be sure. 1/4 mile 11,47s / 202 kmh. Its 4wd tip, had 2 persons onboard and is fully equipped. Oh yes, dyno testing was done in RWD mode...

I've learned not to trust dyno numbers. Not at least if they're done by someone that's trying to sell something. In USA. Everything's bigger over there. WHP = Wish horsepower. Numbers are usable to measure gains when testing's been done on a same dyno by an independent operator. Actual performance measurements (acceleration testing) are much more reliable way.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:39 AM
scottr126 can only hope to improve
I see what you did there. I also am not a big fan of Indiana, long story how I ended up here. But I can tell you I am retiring down in Texas, I am having a house built down there as we speak.

4 posts is correct, I don't get on here much, and when I do I like to read more so than post. I spend time doing other things like being with friends and family, and in the summer months driving my cars and going to car related activities in real life. But yah you're right, you are better off living on here. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

and Scottr I see you are from Indiana and you've posted 4 times over the past 10
months.

Fun state, Indiana. Boy my family loves to hear those words: " Honey, gather up the
kids, we're going to Indiana."

I tell you what... boy o boy.

Yep, I guess this thread can't compare with the smoking nightlife in Ft. Wayne but
I'll give it my best.....

Old 01-20-2014, 06:54 AM
Banned
996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pete95zhn
Could we finally get some reality into this thread, please?

Like a compressor map that proves an even remotely close flow of 42 lb/min of air from (Required from a single turbo on a 996 turbos' engine to get 800 crankhp's worth of airflow.) any wheel that fits into a K16's compressor housing??

Or a somekind of proof that 42 lb/min intake airflow's equal of exhaust flow with 1.7 bar (or just 1.4 bar) boost doesn't skyrocket the backpressure and thus explode the engine?

Below's pics from AMS's pages showing quite ordinary looking K16's...both compressor and turbine sides.

The same reality check should be done to A28 discussion too, but it's been quite entertaining though...

Me too im waiting for AMS to show a dyno graph over 600 whp to 700whp on these turbos............ LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 800 hp on K16 Billets?