996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

straight pipes and general observations, good read

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 05:12 AM
deadbeatrec is a glorious beacon of lightdeadbeatrec is a glorious beacon of lightdeadbeatrec is a glorious beacon of lightdeadbeatrec is a glorious beacon of lightdeadbeatrec is a glorious beacon of light
straight pipes and general observations, good read

so i bought this 996 turbo car about 4 weeks ago now.first thing i did was have someone make straight pipes for me. they soundGREAT! also cost me about $475 and they look a lot better than the $1300 AWEones.

i put some ebay 90 deg bend o2 spacers on it and nocodes. its been over 700 miles now and nothing. kinda happy about that seeingthat i didnt think it would work.

anyways..... i had my bachelor party this weekend and wedrove to NJ for waterfest and then to AC. my buddies were driving with me andone of the has a 135i with the n54 motor (twin turbo). it has a cobb stage 3tune, intakes, intercooler, downpipes, and an exhaust. now he tuned it himselfso hes running a rather aggressive map and 100% e85. so the car makes about430whp and about 470tq. its quick!

so we did a pull from 3rd and he was pulling on me everso slightly, shifted and we were about even then we let off. now my mods are asfollows, k&n, diverter valves, straight pipes and REVO 93 octane tune. ithought for sure i would have walked him but guess not :/

now on to driving and the transition. so driving about700 miles this weekend in and out of traffic ive noticed a few things. shiftingout of second gear can be harsh. not really sure why. its like you press in theclutch and sometimes the car like jumps or almost bangs. now mind u im nottalking about racing or shifting fast, just daily driving it. and it doesntalways happen either. kinda odd to me.

also ive noticed while on the highway, driving and slowlygetting on throttle its like the peddle has stages or steps. hard to explainbut it doesnt seem as smooth as i would have expected. is this due to thewastegates?

the car is great and im still learning but id like tosmooth a few things out and maybe extract some more hp out of her. now food forthought, i just sold my built c5 z06 that made over 900 crank for this car soyes i know, everything will feel slow to me now haha.

Last edited by deadbeatrec; 07-22-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:26 AM
deadbeatrec is a glorious beacon of lightdeadbeatrec is a glorious beacon of lightdeadbeatrec is a glorious beacon of lightdeadbeatrec is a glorious beacon of lightdeadbeatrec is a glorious beacon of light
what kind of power would a car like mine put down? like 420whp?

Old 07-22-2014, 07:45 AM
Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !Vendetta Is a GOD !
Regarding clutch smoothness and "steps" as you describe, you might want to look into changing out your helper spring. Here's the DIY. Here's the link to the spring from Home Depot. The mounting geometry is such that it goes from giving you resistance, to assisting you in depressing the clutch at about the halfway point. Might be what you're feeling.

The jumping or banging in second gear though? That sounds like something else altogether. I'd look into it further because it doesn't sound normal to me.

And congrats on your upcoming wedding!

-V

Old 07-22-2014, 07:53 AM
its almost like sometimes disengageing the clutch while in second gear, its not very smooth. also doesnt happen everytime. i thought maybe it was me and my shifting haha. ive stayed in throttle, let off throttle and pressed in the clutch while getting off the gas simultaneously. nothing seems to make a difference. and again it doesnt happen everytime.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:56 AM
torresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond reputetorresmd has a reputation beyond repute
Your clutch might be slipping. I know that when my clutch was slipping it was a pretty violent shake coming from the rear but I have an aftermarket sachs stage III.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:59 AM
not slippling. she holds under load just fine.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:23 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Hey Deadbeatrec, have any pics of your straight pipes? Just curious! Thanks. And those 3.5TT's in the beamer can be modded fairly easily to be pretty strong so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Good luck on figuring on the shifting/engagement issue!
S

Old 07-22-2014, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by 03EvoIII
Hey Deadbeatrec, have any pics of your straight pipes? Just curious! Thanks. And those 3.5TT's in the beamer can be modded fairly easily to be pretty strong so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Good luck on figuring on the shifting/engagement issue!
S
i will take a few pics tonight.

and its a 3.0 but yea they are stout!

Old 07-22-2014, 12:44 PM
with all this said............... x50 upgrade, worth it or not?

now im a little confused. the x50 came with the k24's? what are the k16 hybrids?

Old 07-22-2014, 05:17 PM
MBH
MBH has a spectacular aura aboutMBH has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
its almost like sometimes disengageing the clutch while in second gear, its not very smooth. also doesnt happen everytime. i thought maybe it was me and my shifting haha. ive stayed in throttle, let off throttle and pressed in the clutch while getting off the gas simultaneously. nothing seems to make a difference. and again it doesnt happen everytime.
How many miles are on yours? Any chance it could be coil packs and plugs and/or the MAF? If it's not something related to power production then I would highly recommend looking at your transmission mount (as well as motor mounts).

Mine exhibited similar symptoms and my transmission mount was shot. My car is also a tiptronic though. Currently I'm getting a little bit of a hesitation/stumble, and had a little bit of breakup under WOT so I'm going to replace plugs/coils/maf/fuel filter (car just turned 45k miles, so I might as well do it right for piece of mind). Not sure if it's related at all or not, but when "coasting" (tiptronic) downhill around 2000rpm in 2nd gear when the car is cold my car feels like it goes from engine braking to not engine braking and cycles between the two. Audible change as well as minor RPM change as well. Hopefully that's related, because I just noticed it and it worries me.

What's the automotive equivalent of a hypochondriac??

regarding your question on k24s - does your car have the X50 from the factory (and thus have the k24s?). If you don't already have them, I'd save the money and talk to some of our great vendors about their K16 billet packages. I know 911tuning and EPL were running some pretty good specials back at the beginning of spring, so those are the first two that come to mind.

Last edited by MBH; 07-22-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:29 PM
But arnt billet k16's smaller than k24's and make less power?

Old 07-22-2014, 05:38 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Adding to what MBH said, a billet K16 car will be STRONG, easy on wallet and easily take down the friends 135i. I just sold my EPL-tuned billet K16 car and it will be missed. Freakin' fast for little *** K16s... I beat a lot of stuff including bikes.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:46 PM
Ok but..... Will k24's make more power? I don't mind losing power down low for more up top. In fact I prefer it

Old 07-22-2014, 09:02 PM
Reno_911 has a spectacular aura aboutReno_911 has a spectacular aura aboutReno_911 has a spectacular aura about
I wouldn't worry too much about a heavily tuned N54 gaining a bit on you. Whereas your Metzger has a pretty mild tune, the N54 is working very hard and likely won't be reliable in the long run. Anyone can make a car quick. Making a car quick and reliable is really what's important.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:21 PM
YJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond reputeYJosephTT has a reputation beyond repute
Where in ny are you and who did your straight pipes, pics and videos would be great.
In mine 1st to second shifts seem to be the most noticeable but not to the extent that you mention. Also if you could link to where u got the o2 extenders, I just installed a catless exhaust and now throwing codes p0132, p0152 which is for the fronts even tho I installed these mini cats.

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: straight pipes and general observations, good read