996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Maintenance Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Jferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant future
Maintenance Advice

I know there are multiple threads on maintenance and what to do when but with the frequency these cars are generally driven each case could be different.

I recently purchased a 2002 x50 with a few upgrades at just under 50k miles. The 30k mile service was performed in 2007 at 34k miles so the car has only been driven 16k miles in the past 7 years (majority being in the past 4).

I plan on taking her for a few road trips in the coming months (less than 1k miles round trip) and want to do some maintenance items before to ensure some reliability.

My question is what should I address? Brakes and pads have less than 16k miles on them and obviously the rest of the items replaced at that 30k mile service. Would it be a waste to get the 60k service done now?

Thanks in advance for the input
Joe

Old 07-24-2014, 11:41 AM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
Usually pads and rotors can last on a road trip because most of the time is hway driving. If It was me
Inspect for any leaks. Check axle boots. Oil change. And for sure check alignment. Tire pressure. Tire wear. Make sure to take with you small tool box. Buy extra spark plugs. And coils. Also buy a scanner to check for check engine codes if ce light pops. I would also do boost leak test. Small Jack would be also helpful. check your spare tire. And never the last take few qrts of oil with you. Ever time you stop for gas check oil and fluid levels and tire wear

Last edited by MadWhip; 07-24-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:46 PM
Jferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant futureJferrante has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MadWhip
Usually pads and rotors can last on a road trip because most of the time is hway driving. If It was me
Inspect for any leaks. Check axle boots. Oil change. And for sure check alignment. Tire pressure. Tire wear. Make sure to take with you small tool box. Buy extra spark plugs. And coils. Also buy a scanner to check for check engine codes if ce light pops. I would also do boost leak test. Small Jack would be also helpful. check your spare tire. And never the last take few qrts of oil with you. Ever time you stop for gas check oil and fluid levels and tire wear
Awesome thanks - going to pick up some extra coils and plugs to have on hand

Old 07-24-2014, 05:40 PM
gregp714 has a spectacular aura aboutgregp714 has a spectacular aura aboutgregp714 has a spectacular aura about
Accessory belt change might be some cheap insurance too. I'm a new owner also and for $25 and 40 minutes of easy labor I have piece of mind with a new belt.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:48 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
These cars don't require any special attention beyond the service requirements which you seem to be adhering to. I would be a bit.more.proactive when it comes to regularly replaced items like.plugs and coils but more so when the car is tuned or run hard a lot.

Beyond that if all else is within spec? Turn the key and go. I bet it'll give you no trouble at all long distance.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:07 PM
p556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud ofp556guy has much to be proud of
We have similar cars, except mine is an 03 and had the 30k done sometime in 2010.

I thought I had a great car...then I did the MAF, plugs, coils, and o2 sensors...I literally almost can't believe how much better/smoother it runs.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:15 PM
rlougee is on a distinguished road
One of my worries before buying was reliability. I didn't want a fragile car and I wanted something reliable to drive everyday.

I didn't need to worry. In 2010 I bought my 2004 996 with 17,000 miles. Since then I have put 10,000 miles on it per year as my daily driver. I'm at about 62K now. NOTHING has been replaced except the drive belt and plugs at 60K service. It has been as rock solid as can be. They are very reliable and are not fragile.

Personally, I wouldn't think twice about getting in it in 30 minutes from now and driving 1000 miles or 5000 miles.

Do the standard maintenance and oil changes and drive like he11.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:17 PM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by gregp714
Accessory belt change might be some cheap insurance too. I'm a new owner also and for $25 and 40 minutes of easy labor I have piece of mind with a new belt.
thats true, where can you buy accessory belt for $25?

-- Thats true, replace the belt. and take the old one with you.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by rlougee
One of my worries before buying was reliability. I didn't want a fragile car and I wanted something reliable to drive everyday.

I didn't need to worry. In 2010 I bought my 2004 996 with 17,000 miles. Since then I have put 10,000 miles on it per year as my daily driver. I'm at about 62K now. NOTHING has been replaced except the drive belt and plugs at 60K service. It has been as rock solid as can be. They are very reliable and are not fragile.

Personally, I wouldn't think twice about getting in it in 30 minutes from now and driving 1000 miles or 5000 miles.

Do the standard maintenance and oil changes and drive like he11.
that is true, until you buy used 996tt from someone who never did anything to it. Thats why people have problems. (well most of the time) because everything is original at 60k+miles.

I also agree the car is very reliable if you do what's required and keep an eye on things - you take care of the 996 he'll take care of you!

happy boosting'

Old 07-24-2014, 06:41 PM
gregp714 has a spectacular aura aboutgregp714 has a spectacular aura aboutgregp714 has a spectacular aura about
ECS Tuning, ContiTech belt is $25.98 at the moment.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by gregp714
ECS Tuning, ContiTech belt is $25.98 at the moment.
takes the wallet out, thanks

Old 07-24-2014, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
These cars don't require any special attention beyond the service requirements which you seem to be adhering to. I would be a bit.more.proactive when it comes to regularly replaced items like.plugs and coils but more so when the car is tuned or run hard a lot.

Beyond that if all else is within spec? Turn the key and go. I bet it'll give you no trouble at all long distance.
Thanks, this car is tuned with exhaust and a few other upgrades but has not been tracked or anything like that.

I think the drive belt is a great idea and appreciate the inputs

Old 07-24-2014, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by MadWhip
that is true, until you buy used 996tt from someone who never did anything to it. Thats why people have problems. (well most of the time) because everything is original at 60k+miles.

I also agree the car is very reliable if you do what's required and keep an eye on things - you take care of the 996 he'll take care of you!

happy boosting'
good to hear I have a 3" binder of service records; my only concern was that last major was done in 2007

Old 07-24-2014, 07:16 PM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
These cars don't require any special attention beyond the service requirements which you seem to be adhering to.
Exactly. There isn't anything you need to do that will improve reliability. Make sure your brake fluid, oil and coolant are current and drive your car. Tires and brakes are things you should have already had checked and be confident in.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:37 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
Just bought my Conti accessary belt from ECS= good price.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Maintenance Advice