996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Who's tried Ohlins R&T on their AWD turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 06:09 AM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !
Who's tried Ohlins R&T on their AWD turbo?

I've had my eye on these for awhile, it looks like it was more recently that they released a dedicated 996TT kit.

First, who has them and what do you think? Is the DFV technology noticeable, or is it just their marketing departments way of creating differentiation?

What other suspension upgrades are a MUST when going to coilovers, and what would be recommended, but not a requirement? I would want to do sways at the same time, but I'm not sure what other parts (lower control arms, toe/bump, dog bones, etc.)

The car is primarily street driven. Whenever I get the chance I'll go out on backroads and wring the car out

Last edited by DSCOFF; 10-24-2014 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:02 AM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
I can't answer about the Ohlins on the 996TT but I do have them on my wifes 135i. I don't think the DFV is a gimmick at all. Even though I increased the spring rates in the rear by 50% the high frequency bumps are managed very well. Build quality was excellent. My only complaint is they don't have separate adjustments for compression and rebound. Also, the super soft springs that were supplied but that shouldn't apply to the 996TT.

If you are interested in DFV shocks the KW V3's I have on my 996TT also use this technology.

Additional required parts when installing CO's will depend on how much you lower it. I lowered my car about 0.75"-1.0" and had no problem getting my toe in spec so no additional parts were necessary. You may, however, want new upper mounts if yours are sufficiently aged.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:24 AM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
I am interested in the Ohlins too. I have been doing searches comparing these to the PSS10s. It seems that the Ollins are a better build quality but not many people have them on their 996 turbos as of yet as the Bilsteins are the more popular choice. Also where would be the best place to get these? Thanks for the input.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:18 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
The DFV is legit. My TT is not AWD but you can really feel the compliance. I think its unmatched in terms of absorbing bumps in the road.

Best entry level shock out there IMO.

Last edited by heavychevy; 10-26-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:56 AM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Anyone know why Ohlins prices their R&T AWD coilovers roughly $1,000 higher than the RWD ones? Compare R&T options for 996 GT3 vs. 996 Turbo, for example.

As far as I can tell, no other manufacturers do that (Bilstein, H&R, KW, etc).

Old 10-25-2014, 09:02 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rockstardoc
I am interested in the Ohlins too. I have been doing searches comparing these to the PSS10s. It seems that the Ollins are a better build quality but not many people have them on their 996 turbos as of yet as the Bilsteins are the more popular choice. Also where would be the best place to get these? Thanks for the input.
Bought mine direct from Ohlins in SE USA.. I am RWD but it is a good suspension and appears to be high quality to date.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:32 PM
daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !daedalus Is a GOD !
Was going to do KW V3's but I talked a few different shops that actually prepped cup cars and cars for the Cayman series and 100% of them said go with the Ohlins so that's what i'll be doing this winter. The ride quality is supposed to be better (according to them) than the V3 would provide and marginally better build quality.

I'll report back in the spring.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:10 AM
PUN42 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by daedalus
Was going to do KW V3's but I talked a few different shops that actually prepped cup cars and cars for the Cayman series and 100% of them said go with the Ohlins so that's what i'll be doing this winter. The ride quality is supposed to be better (according to them) than the V3 would provide and marginally better build quality. I'll report back in the spring.
After spending lots of time reading this forum and others on which suspension is better for the 996 Turbo, especially the debates on PSS10 and KW V3, I also decided to go with the V3.

But then I got a ride in a 996TT with Ohlins installed. That's it. I'm going with Ohlins. Ride isn't too harsh on the streets (lots of potholes and speed bumps where I live), and the TT stays fairly planted corners. However, the TT I rode in sat pretty low.

Out of curiosity, what about Moton? Anybody has Moton on their 996 Turbo? Just curious, my suspension budget has already been set taking Ohlins into account.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-439240966.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	405965   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2017324134.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	405966  
Old 10-26-2014, 09:44 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Easy. Street mostly barely track, go with the ohlins.

Track aggressively, go with moton.

R&T are only good to a certain point on track.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:34 PM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
Thanks all for the advice. I'll most likely go with the Ohlins and since I'll be upgrading the suspension, most likely I'll also get the Tarret top hats as well.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:12 AM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PUN42
After spending lots of time reading this forum and others on which suspension is better for the 996 Turbo, especially the debates on PSS10 and KW V3, I also decided to go with the V3.

But then I got a ride in a 996TT with Ohlins installed. That's it. I'm going with Ohlins. Ride isn't too harsh on the streets (lots of potholes and speed bumps where I live), and the TT stays fairly planted corners. However, the TT I rode in sat pretty low.

Out of curiosity, what about Moton? Anybody has Moton on their 996 Turbo? Just curious, my suspension budget has already been set taking Ohlins into account.
Everytime I am in Bangachicwithkok my tuk tuk drivers do not use the roads, rather the footpaths, roads, peoples heads, where-ever they can get traction !

Great town, great food !

Old 10-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Seriously though, the Ohlins is top notch quality and I should know because my old man was a suspensions engineer for 35+ yrs !

I drive on some really godawful 3rd world roads in NY and some shockers in the UK and have Ohlins on 2 of my cars... epic in a word

I was a little annoyed by some things I read on Bilstein.

If you want to go really top notch talk to pwderhound.... he is the suspension guru

Old 10-28-2014, 01:55 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
What is your budget?
The ohlins TTX stuff is the best out there, There R&T stuff is OK but no where near as goos as the TTX stuff.

I am the first and now one of a few people running the TTX shocks on a 996. I will say it is one of the best mods you can make to a car that will be driven hard and expected to perform. But along with the shocks I suggest a few other items to make the car perform the way it should. A fully done suspension package like the one on my car is really truly epic in nature. I have taken numerous other Porsche guys for rides in my car and then had them bring me there cars to my shop to have theirs done.

This is what the 996 turbo kit kinda looks like, to fit the turbo you need a few different brackets, This and some other suspension tweeks turns the 996 turbo an incredible performer.
http://performanceshock.com/index.ph...oducts_id=1180

The guys at PSI are great to deal with and know what parts you need!

Last edited by Engine Guy; 10-28-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:56 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wolfhedge
Seriously though, the Ohlins is top notch quality and I should know because my old man was a suspensions engineer for 35+ yrs !

I drive on some really godawful 3rd world roads in NY and some shockers in the UK and have Ohlins on 2 of my cars... epic in a word

I was a little annoyed by some things I read on Bilstein.

If you want to go really top notch talk to pwderhound.... he is the suspension guru
The Ohlins stuff is great and even their entry level kit is miles ahead of the popular PSS10 kits. I've heard nothing but great things about the Ohlins road and track kit for street / light track use and I think the price is in the PSS10 ballpark. For more serious track use, I think the Ohlins spring rates are way too soft with too great a split on the standard TT suspension but my understanding is that Ohlins can build them for you with your spring rates in mind. The Ohlins TTX is more of a track rather than street set up and the next step up from their street version.

I am a JRZ guy personally as they make true bolt on suspension kits including monoball upper mounts, drop links, etc., which takes the guesswork out of matching parts. You tell them what rates you want, they build it. You take it out of the box and mount it up. Customer support is second to none. I have run the single adjustable RS1 kit which can handle up to 900# springs and I am currently on double adjustable remote canister JRZ RS Pros which can handle up to 1500# rates. I will be pulling the Pros this winter and going to their 12.31 Triple adjustable Race shocks which will allow me to run 1800# springs. The Pros might be up for grabs in a month or two if one of the local guys doesn't grab them.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:45 PM
PUN42 is on a distinguished road
Finished installing Ohlins R/T for my AWD 996TT, along with Rennline drop links (curved front, straight rear), which I had installed 8 months ago). But the car is still in the shop for other things. Should be ready to drive next week. I'd imagine that the car will feel much different since the old suspension set is stock, from 2002, totally worn out.

In the attached photo, you can see the rear Rennline drop links. And that thick spacer is RUF.

Should I go for the following items as well?
(Would be lowering no more than 25.4 mm or 1 inch since my drive way is steep)
(track maybe 4-5 times a year)

-toe links with bump steer
-upper rear control arm links
-sway bars

If yes, should I go with Tarett or Rennline? Any other brand I should consider? Is there a big difference among these brands (suspension accessories)?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1841855837.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	409159   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2267134350.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	368.2 KB
ID:	409160   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3901023112.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	409161  

Last edited by PUN42; 12-05-2014 at 02:49 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Who's tried Ohlins R&T on their AWD turbo?