996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Anyone move from a Z4M to 996 turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 06:27 PM
zerofighter is on a distinguished road
Anyone move from a Z4M to 996 turbo?

Hi All

I currently have an 06 Z4M Coupe and am considering selling it and picking up a 996 turbo. Has anyone done a similar move?

I would like to get some comparisons on the two in regards to driving experience, DIY'able maintenance, etc (I have not yet driven a 996 turbo, only really BMW/Audis). The plan would to DD during the nicer months.

Thanks in advance!
-Pearson

Old 10-24-2014, 08:58 PM
LQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond reputeLQQK has a reputation beyond repute
I did. Moved from modified m coupe to a 996.

To summarize - do it and don't look back.

I really liked my m coupe. But the 996 turbo is a big improvement. I enjoyed being able to slide the m around, and being over the rear axle you could really feel it. The 996 doesn't slide. The weight and rear wheel width just has so much mechanical grip.

Power in the turbo is much improved. The m you really had to rev it to get it to move, the turbo just pulls from any rpm

As a daily, it's also more comfortable and more "solid" feeling

The only thing I don't like, is the engine sound. The s54 is a little rattle compared to most engine, but the gt1 engine just rattles. It's the only thing I don't like.
Maintenon is about the same - except I feel I spend more time under the 996. Both engines just need good oil regularly.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:09 PM
MBH
MBH has a spectacular aura aboutMBH has a spectacular aura about
I believe "Daffy Duck" has (or however he spells it), z4m coupe to 996 gt2

Old 10-25-2014, 06:22 PM
Punko is on a distinguished road
Do it, do it, do it.

I did it....love it.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:34 PM
REDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud of
I test drove a Z4 M coupe before buying my turbo. It didn't do anything for me and was just not very exciting to drive. I was pretty disappointed with it considering I had driven a couple e46 and always liked those.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:46 PM
FI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond reputeFI_FTW has a reputation beyond repute
No M but I went from a supercharged Z3 (~ 300hp) to a 996TT. Two very different cars. The turbo feels much larger and is really built for speed; you're doing 100+ before you know it.

Driving around town, the Z was more fun. On twisty roads, both are a blast but I do prefer the longer high speed sweepers in the turbo.

Long distance fwy, the turbo definitely wins. A lot more comfortable.

So, it depends what you're looking for. One is more Miata like, the other is close to a GT car but still with great handling because it has loads of grip.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:03 AM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
When you drive a turbo it will be obvious how you feel about the choice, the cars are very different. My buddy has a z4m, he tracks it somewhat regularly and we drive in the mountains. Hes always thinking about ways to get more power out of the car and aside from S/C there don't seem to be many options without spending a ton of money. Turbo has more effortless power, a ton of modding potential, and instant fun during normal driving but I'm sure z4m is just as or more fun to drive just under more specific conditions (driving it hard and fast).

Old 10-26-2014, 08:20 AM
DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !DSCOFF Is a GOD !
Shoot a message to "daffyduck" on here, he recently went from Z4M to a 996 GT2

Old 10-26-2014, 06:35 PM
split71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond reputesplit71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DSCOFF
Shoot a message to "daffyduck" on here, he recently went from Z4M to a 996 GT2
came here to post this, can vouch I know him personally.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, it has given me some good insights. I am pretty much looking for a GT car per say. I keep on hearing that the 911 in general is quite balance which will be a nice change from tail happy M Coupe. As much as I enjoy the M Coupe, I think it is time to move on.

Just need to take turbo for a test drive to see if it meets my expectations. If it does, I'll probably put the M Coupe up for sale in the spring so I don't take a beating on resale value.

I'll shoot a PM over to daffyduck shortly to get his feedback.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:30 PM
daffyduck is a jewel in the roughdaffyduck is a jewel in the roughdaffyduck is a jewel in the rough
I got the bat call! thanks guys for thinking of me.

OP - In short, what LQQK said is very true, and I'm trying to commit to that advice as well. "Do it - and don't look back".

I adored the S54. I started in the M family with with a competition package E46M3 and had 2 Z4M coupes afterwards - in succession. I caught a lot of flak on M3Forum with my review of the Mcoupe because I thought it was the perfect upgrade/transition from the M3 for a more track oriented focus. It's a legend of a car, and until the F80/2 M3/4 came out, it was the most torsionally rigid car BMW ever produced. Something to the tune of 32k Nm/deg. I spent a lot of time on the track with the car and got extremely comfortable with maneuvering it at high speeds...eventually felt comfortable enough with the traction limits and drove DSC off around 9/10ths. The only thing I ever felt the car needed was more power. SO if you're having reservations about making the switch, might I recommend looking into the VF or ESS bolt on + tune? The car is literally bulletproof. I tried to break mine - it didn't.

Onto the PCAR

There's nothing like the feel of a 911, it feels more rigid, sturdy, (and while it may not necessarily be - feels heavier in a good planted sort of way). I believe the 996tt is right about equal in weight to the z4mc, with the GT2 being a couple hundred lbs lighter at ~3150? So imagine equal weight but with 120+ whp and more meat in the tires for added grip. The z4m liked to dance in a predicable kind of way. It's not easy to get the 996tt/gt2 to slide, and I'm still getting used to finding where the limits of adhesion are...the learning curve is more difficult than on the mcoupe which is a little frustrating because I can't dive onto the track with the prowess I once had.

Motor: Both are pretty much bulletproof with preventative maintenance. You know the story with vanos. With the GT1 motor, I guess all you have to look out for is the coolant hose issue - but if you're not tracking, I don't think adhesive failure is as prevalent. You'll get addicted to boost, I don't miss the flat torque curve of the S54 ...BUT I do miss how predictable the power band was where it mattered on high speed corners/esses on track.

Transmission: The ZF tranny in the mcoupe is horrendous. I had to get vibra technics motor mounts, new tranny mounts, auto solutions short shift kit, and royal purple or some other fluid I forget to get rid of the tranny slop. There was also that 1-2nd and 3rd-2nd grind or denial which my car never got over. The transmission is a beautiful mechanical movement in the 996. No ifs or buts, but I've read some people get 2nd gear pop out...hasn't happened to me yet.

Brakes: My ceramics failed after a couple track days. The ceramics only have a mm or so of ceramic coating which must've weakened over the decade as they were exposed to the elements..and disintegrated basically. They're pitted, and the contact patch to my pads grows smaller every day. Do a steel conv if your prospective tt has ceramics.

Diff: TT guys chime in here...my GT2 diff is due for a rebuild already. I guess a couple track days destroyed it? I'm not sure what the verdict is on your front/rear, but I know the M diff was indestructible.

I'd say naturally the maintenance is on the costlier side with the PCAR.

That was probably really long winded, but to close...if you're not trying to wring this thing out on track, the 996tt will be a great upgrade and transition. If it's for track use, it still is an upgrade, but be prepared to relearn how to drive. That's how I feel after doing ~30+ days in the z4m...I feel like a complete noob and nancy taking the 996 to the edge.

Hope this helps a little!!

Old 10-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by daffyduck
I got the bat call! thanks guys for thinking of me.

OP - In short, what LQQK said is very true, and I'm trying to commit to that advice as well. "Do it - and don't look back".

I adored the S54. I started in the M family with with a competition package E46M3 and had 2 Z4M coupes afterwards - in succession. I caught a lot of flak on M3Forum with my review of the Mcoupe because I thought it was the perfect upgrade/transition from the M3 for a more track oriented focus. It's a legend of a car, and until the F80/2 M3/4 came out, it was the most torsionally rigid car BMW ever produced. Something to the tune of 32k Nm/deg. I spent a lot of time on the track with the car and got extremely comfortable with maneuvering it at high speeds...eventually felt comfortable enough with the traction limits and drove DSC off around 9/10ths. The only thing I ever felt the car needed was more power. SO if you're having reservations about making the switch, might I recommend looking into the VF or ESS bolt on + tune? The car is literally bulletproof. I tried to break mine - it didn't.

Onto the PCAR

There's nothing like the feel of a 911, it feels more rigid, sturdy, (and while it may not necessarily be - feels heavier in a good planted sort of way). I believe the 996tt is right about equal in weight to the z4mc, with the GT2 being a couple hundred lbs lighter at ~3150? So imagine equal weight but with 120+ whp and more meat in the tires for added grip. The z4m liked to dance in a predicable kind of way. It's not easy to get the 996tt/gt2 to slide, and I'm still getting used to finding where the limits of adhesion are...the learning curve is more difficult than on the mcoupe which is a little frustrating because I can't dive onto the track with the prowess I once had.

Motor: Both are pretty much bulletproof with preventative maintenance. You know the story with vanos. With the GT1 motor, I guess all you have to look out for is the coolant hose issue - but if you're not tracking, I don't think adhesive failure is as prevalent. You'll get addicted to boost, I don't miss the flat torque curve of the S54 ...BUT I do miss how predictable the power band was where it mattered on high speed corners/esses on track.

Transmission: The ZF tranny in the mcoupe is horrendous. I had to get vibra technics motor mounts, new tranny mounts, auto solutions short shift kit, and royal purple or some other fluid I forget to get rid of the tranny slop. There was also that 1-2nd and 3rd-2nd grind or denial which my car never got over. The transmission is a beautiful mechanical movement in the 996. No ifs or buts, but I've read some people get 2nd gear pop out...hasn't happened to me yet.

Brakes: My ceramics failed after a couple track days. The ceramics only have a mm or so of ceramic coating which must've weakened over the decade as they were exposed to the elements..and disintegrated basically. They're pitted, and the contact patch to my pads grows smaller every day. Do a steel conv if your prospective tt has ceramics.

Diff: TT guys chime in here...my GT2 diff is due for a rebuild already. I guess a couple track days destroyed it? I'm not sure what the verdict is on your front/rear, but I know the M diff was indestructible.

That was probably really long winded, but to close...if you're not trying to wring this thing out on track, the 996tt will be a great upgrade and transition. If it's for track use, it still is an upgrade, but be prepared to relearn how to drive. That's how I feel after doing ~30+ days in the z4m...I feel like a complete noob and nancy taking the 996 to the edge.

Hope this helps a little!!

do it, I still have my e46 m3 (not an M coupe but close) and 2 996tts (one with high HP), all fun cars. Good luck!

Old 11-02-2014, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the detailed response, that is exactly the kind of detail I was looking for!

Old 11-03-2014, 02:07 AM
daffyduck is a jewel in the roughdaffyduck is a jewel in the roughdaffyduck is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb

uff i miss this thing. legend of a car

Old 11-03-2014, 07:16 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by daffyduck

^ i wonder why might be needing rebuild or what you think the track has damaged?!

..and to the OP.. i know this won't help relative to any comparison since we're not talking z4m BUT i did come from a chipped 335i turbo and while i would call that VERY quick for a dd and fun. it isn't SERIOUS fun like my current ( 2nd ) and more modded 996tt. the one i have now is modded in the middle zone at about 550 rwhp and that is with some stuff that merely bolts on. ya gotta love that.

i DO wish at times i still had the 335 and hadn't dumped it for a ( still fun, sorta? lol ) gti as a dd, but agree with any/all that say "get it and never look back". the 96t, even if used as a dd, well it's handful, that's for sure. but do NOT discount the maint costs even though they are ten+ years old. god help the guys that need the dealer or an indie to fix all that you'll replace/repair as time goes on, as that IS costly but i flog the 996tt daily for the sheer joy of it if a weekend car? the costs won't be much more than any hi end sports car to maintain.

but hunt one down for sure!...and good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone move from a Z4M to 996 turbo?