996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT2 Clutch Conversion first impressions 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 09:31 PM
spmorgan is a jewel in the roughspmorgan is a jewel in the roughspmorgan is a jewel in the rough
GT2 Clutch Conversion first impressions 996TT

So, I had the leaking slave and decided to get the GT2 Clutch conversion from EVOMS. I had it installed at my local Indy, who spent ~10 hours (only charged for 8) putting it in. They said they had done it before, but I'm unsure whether that was the case.

Anyway, my first impression is that the clutch is 3x as heavy. I'm a pretty strong guy, so it isn't overly heavy for me, but it is definitely much heavier then the stock setup.

As for feel, the clutch release definitely is more progressive, ultimately being fully engaged about the same point as the old clutch, but starting to catch/slip much earlier. I don't know that it is that much better then the stocker though, and given the additional cost of parts and labor, I'm up in the air (at first impressions) whether the change was worth it.

Shawn

Old 03-04-2015, 10:43 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
It won't fail like the accumulators in the older setup but yes you lose some boost.

Old 03-04-2015, 11:28 PM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
Except the heavier clutch pedal feel i cannot tell any negatives. The Clutch feels precise no big range of slipping the gears in or out. Its like connected or not. Not much in between. I drove a turbo with the normal clutch and i hated it right away. Too soft und felt like wax.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:13 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
interesting to hear a contrarian take on it, since all anyone ever hears is WOW "transformed" etc etc. it should feel just like a gt2/3 non assisted clutch. i have like everyone else had to change out a few accumulators over the years on a cpl different cars, but in spite of the fact i know the feel of the clutch post conversion...and i have NO issue whatsoever with the stock clutch engagement is consistent always.

changing out an accumulator every cpl years or so for an hour and 140 bucks just has never seemed that daunting. good to hear an honest review questioning the wisdom/cost of the mod. though i DO lean toward doing it occasionally, i've always just dropped in another 140$ part!

( slave is more costly and only replaced once current car

thx for posting .. rep pts.

Last edited by '02996ttx50; 03-05-2015 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:31 AM
BenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to behold
The soft factory clutch with assist is tough to modulate. I once the conversation was done on my car I got the feel I'm used to in a clutch. When you do the conversation it's how the car should have left the factory. I think the clutch pedal effort in not hard by any means. It's a great upgrade if you are willing to spend the money.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:44 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
I've been hearing this "tough to modulate" for years, and i still haven't a clue what guys mean when they say that. i've been driving MT's for over 50 years albeit I've only had 4 mt 911's.

but it seems simple enough to me and my engagement point NEVER changes and i'm able to disengage on a flat surface without ANY slippage by simply disengaging "slowly". as i've said before, the ONLY time i EVER dropped the clutch was at a stoplight after 20+ miles of stop/go and i think my leg just momentarily gave out! and/or i forgot i had just engaged the clutch as the light was nearing "go" status lol

now THAT was both funny, painful to feel, and embarrassing to be sure

Old 03-05-2015, 06:49 AM
BenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to behold
With my stock set up my engagement point on the clutch would be different every time. Could've been the fact that my master cylinder was on the way out. The pedal feel with the conversion is amazing.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:00 AM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
IMO removing that damned spring doesn't make it heavier at all - that spring pulls UP on the clutch pedal, makes it harder to press down, and when it seems to pull the hardest is right where my engagement point was on my car I swear. Removing that stupid spring made my car so much better to drive that I decided to go ahead and sink money into mods for it. Otherwise I'd have kept it the way it was until I finally got sick of it! Stalling it at least once every time I drove it and seeing friends who were also experienced with clutches ***** was painful - no more!

Old 03-05-2015, 01:02 PM
ghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to beholdghostofpain is a splendid one to behold
I got used to the heavy clutch pedal. Even in a congestion (i guess you guys say traffic jam? ) i dont mind.
Oh and i do have the GT2 slave cylinder and the Gt2 clutch installed. Dont know about the spring though.

And yes its called bonnet not hood..

Old 03-05-2015, 08:15 PM
pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !
I don't agree that the stock clutch setup is vague or hard to modulate. If that's what you're feeling, then the stock setup is failing like mine was when the slave had failed.

When in spec, and working, it's a thing of beauty. Precise, analogue, and just the right effort for DD, because that's how I really use my car. It's gravy on top that it works as effortlessly as it does, yet is capable of holding 600 ft lbs of torque with my 999 764 PP.

And to me, that's what the turbo is all about. Porsche got it right. A no compromise luxury GT car.

If my car was a track car first, I'd be first in line to adopt the non-boosted setup.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:13 PM
itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !itguy Is a GOD !
I don't see why people don't go straight to the tilton twin disk/steel FW setup that comes with

For under 3k, the clutch slave, line, fittings are included and you delete all the nonsense with the accumulator. So when the cost of a gt2 conversion is almost 1k, for under 3k, you are getting a complete clutch kit that holds a lot more, billet steel flywheel and better clutch pedal feeling than the gt2 setup. Mine does not chatter at all and pulls away from a stop i'd say as smooth as stock with a little pedal finesse.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:22 PM
How high or low does that engagement occur? I've heard some who have clutches that engage high, some who have different ones that engage low, I'd like one that's somewhere in the middle and doesn't require me to put a shackle/clutch stop on the pedal :O It would be very nice to find a way to adjust engagement point on these cars!

Old 03-06-2015, 02:29 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by itguy
I don't see why people don't go straight to the tilton twin disk/steel FW setup that comes with

For under 3k, the clutch slave, line, fittings are included and you delete all the nonsense with the accumulator. So when the cost of a gt2 conversion is almost 1k, for under 3k, you are getting a complete clutch kit that holds a lot more, billet steel flywheel and better clutch pedal feeling than the gt2 setup. Mine does not chatter at all and pulls away from a stop i'd say as smooth as stock with a little pedal finesse.
my gt2 conversion was under 700$

Old 03-06-2015, 04:42 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
i have tried both and the tt setup with a lwfw is hard to modulate, you need to try a GT2 conversion to realise how easy to start from a stop. You get used to it but with the lwfw it makes things harder.

On the other hand, the GT2 conversion makes the pedal so freaking hard with an aftermarket pressure plate that this was way too much for me, maybe i am weak, but i certainly didn't want to get stuck in traffic with such a hard pedal so i kept the stock system and prefered to look a little strange on startup rather than needing to take a day off at work because my leg is killing me (ok maybe not that much but you get the point)

i prefer to change the accumulator once in a while, which i changed only once in my 7 years of ownership and it wasn't even bad, just for preventive maintenance trying to find a trouble which ended up not being it.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:58 AM
Ursoboostd is a name known to allUrsoboostd is a name known to allUrsoboostd is a name known to allUrsoboostd is a name known to allUrsoboostd is a name known to allUrsoboostd is a name known to all
I have a stage 2 southbend clutch with the stock tt slave. Engagement happens at the top of the pedal and the window is pretty short. Can be annoying at take off.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT2 Clutch Conversion first impressions 996TT