996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Ever feel like a kid a couple days before Christmas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 04:20 PM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Tim941NYC here has a few front diffs... I think used they are sub $1000 if that is an issue

Old 04-23-2015, 06:22 PM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wolfhedge
Tim941NYC here has a few front diffs... I think used they are sub $1000 if that is an issue
put a used one in my C4S for around $200. Bought a low mileage one off the forum for $450, replaced the bearing on my old one and sold it for $950 on eBay. Rest was spent on labor for swap.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:35 PM
su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !
Im going to sleep on it. I called the dealership that had my second choice and am feeling very frustrated right now.

I saw there was a 996TT near where I was moving at a dealership. I called them up today looking to setup an inspection with the Porsche dealer which is also in the same town. I got the inspection scheduled for Tuesday called back the dealer to put down a deposit and talk terms. Suddenly the sales guy says his manager doesnt want to have the car on hold till Tuesday because "there is a lot of interest" and doesnt want to pass up a sale over the weekend.
At this point Im trying to not go ballistic. I told the guy that Im willing to talk terms and put down a deposit. If his manager comes in tomorrow and wants to move forward with that pending the inspection, all is good. If he wants to 'see what happens over the weekend' then Im out and he can try his luck.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:55 PM
DaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond reputeDaveCarrera4S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by su_maverick
Im going to sleep on it. I called the dealership that had my second choice and am feeling very frustrated right now. I saw there was a 996TT near where I was moving at a dealership. I called them up today looking to setup an inspection with the Porsche dealer which is also in the same town. I got the inspection scheduled for Tuesday called back the dealer to put down a deposit and talk terms. Suddenly the sales guy says his manager doesnt want to have the car on hold till Tuesday because "there is a lot of interest" and doesnt want to pass up a sale over the weekend. At this point Im trying to not go ballistic. I told the guy that Im willing to talk terms and put down a deposit. If his manager comes in tomorrow and wants to move forward with that pending the inspection, all is good. If he wants to 'see what happens over the weekend' then Im out and he can try his luck.
don't let them force you into it. How long has it been there?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:10 PM
su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4S
don't let them force you into it. How long has it been there?
Looks like a pretty recent listing so maybe only a couple days old.

I told him my terms. Im willing to talk money (which I have ready to go) and put down a deposit pending the PPI at the Porsche dealer down the street which is scheduled for Tuesday. My willingness lasts until tomorrow at which point they can see if they get that magical sale over the weekend.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:57 AM
I talked with the dealer for the black/black one today. He said that he had a chance to drive it for a bit yesterday and did note that there was a sound there that he didnt hear in the fall. He is going to have a tech put it on a lift tomorrow or Monday and see if he cant pinpoint where it is coming from.
This guy has been straight with me the whole time and seems very genuine so I told him that Im comfortable waiting while his guy looks at it. There is something to be said about dealing straight with people.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:33 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
Nothing kills the joy of a new car more than having to make immediate repairs. Take your time - there are swarms of 996TTs for sale, especially out in Arizona and California. Make sure you feel 100% comfortable with every single thing so you don't have buyer's remorse right out of the box.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by leftlane
Nothing kills the joy of a new car more than having to make immediate repairs. Take your time - there are swarms of 996TTs for sale, especially out in Arizona and California. Make sure you feel 100% comfortable with every single thing so you don't have buyer's remorse right out of the box.
Thats what Im thinking. Ill wait and see what the NY dealer says about the noise and go from there.

The AZ dealer's sales manager called me up after I told the salesperson that I wouldnt wait to 'see what happened over the weekend' before he would let me put down a deposit and get the PPI done. He tried to get me to go to this place called Auto Europa because they could fit me in today. Their yelp reads like a train wreck as they apparently are one of those shady buy here/pay here places that try to pawn off cars on their death beds.

Old 04-25-2015, 01:31 PM
turboGarrett is a splendid one to beholdturboGarrett is a splendid one to beholdturboGarrett is a splendid one to beholdturboGarrett is a splendid one to beholdturboGarrett is a splendid one to beholdturboGarrett is a splendid one to behold
Good to see some familiar names from v8 rx7 land. Take your time and find the right car for you.

When my wife gave me the green light I pretty much jumped on the first 6 speed car I found in my price range. I'm an impulsive buyer

Old 04-25-2015, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by turboGarrett
Good to see some familiar names from v8 rx7 land. Take your time and find the right car for you.

When my wife gave me the green light I pretty much jumped on the first 6 speed car I found in my price range. I'm an impulsive buyer
I guess we all have similar tastes lol

I had thought about doing another LSX7 but the value of even shells have skyrocketed so much that a completed one would cost just as much as the 996TT.

I decided to a VIN search for my old 7 last summer. It led me to a eBay add that was a couple months old. Lets just say that it was not well taken care of afterwards

Old 04-25-2015, 02:55 PM
turboGarrett is a splendid one to beholdturboGarrett is a splendid one to beholdturboGarrett is a splendid one to beholdturboGarrett is a splendid one to beholdturboGarrett is a splendid one to beholdturboGarrett is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by su_maverick
I guess we all have similar tastes lol

I had thought about doing another LSX7 but the value of even shells have skyrocketed so much that a completed one would cost just as much as the 996TT.

I decided to a VIN search for my old 7 last summer. It led me to a eBay add that was a couple months old. Lets just say that it was not well taken care of afterwards
Yeah I really miss the fd, such a great combination. Would love to find out where my old car is, hopefully it is being cared for.

The 996tt is perfect fit for me right now. Fast, fits my 2 kids in back and classy enough for an occasional date night with the wife.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:46 PM
REDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud of
If everything else other than the front diff issue is exactly what you want, then just try to get the dealer to take $1K off the price. I'm sure you can find someone who converted to RWD who has a front diff to get rid of.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:03 PM
Honestly, I just dont want to have to fix a car that I just bought, especially when Im paying a 4k premium for it with taxes and shipping. Right now, Im just going to wait for a car that I like to pop up in the SW in my price range. While that happens, Im going to enjoy the summer in my new town.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:50 PM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
Good attitude haste makes waste.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:44 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry it didn't work out man. The front diff thing isn't a huge deal because alot of owners do the 2wd conversion anyways. (I did too) But if the car makes you worry then probably a good idea to pass. Im sure there are some nice 996tt's in the southwest that will pop up for sale.