996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 Turbo Oil Change DIY with Video

Old 05-02-2015, 02:30 PM
acoats36 has a spectacular aura aboutacoats36 has a spectacular aura aboutacoats36 has a spectacular aura about
996 Turbo Oil Change DIY with Video

Hope you guys find this video helpful. Love this car!

Old 05-03-2015, 06:11 AM
gt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of lightgt2rs is a glorious beacon of light
Great video :-) much appreciated .

Old 05-03-2015, 08:28 PM
pat
pat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond reputepat has a reputation beyond repute
Nice

Old 05-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Basic Sponsor
PelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond reputePelicanParts.com has a reputation beyond repute
Great video!

-Luccia

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-05-2015, 03:08 PM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
Nice but do you feel pulling the fuse is overkill?

Old 05-05-2015, 03:19 PM
acoats36 has a spectacular aura aboutacoats36 has a spectacular aura aboutacoats36 has a spectacular aura about
I think it could be considered overkill yes, but it is nice not to have the oil light come on for even a few seconds if you can avoid it. It really doesn't add much time to the process, just a couple of minutes. I am sure plenty of people have performed an oil change without doing it and experience no issues; just a little extra I wanted to include. Thanks for watching!

Old 01-13-2017, 06:23 PM
benaslan is a name known to allbenaslan is a name known to allbenaslan is a name known to allbenaslan is a name known to allbenaslan is a name known to allbenaslan is a name known to all
Just did my oil for the first time. Can't believe I haven't done it myself sooner...

Thanks for the vid and the fuse tip. I agree, the fuse was easy and worth the effort. Now, why didn't anyone on this forum warn me how much the oil from the tank splatters everywhere? (j/k, but holy crap I thought I was prepared for it and I wasn't. It splattered everywhere and was not fun wiping up. Good thing my floor is coated!

Old 01-13-2017, 07:05 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by acoats36
I think it could be considered overkill yes, but it is nice not to have the oil light come on for even a few seconds if you can avoid it. It really doesn't add much time to the process, just a couple of minutes. I am sure plenty of people have performed an oil change without doing it and experience no issues; just a little extra I wanted to include. Thanks for watching!
Pulling the fuse didn't help much if at all.

The oil light isn't on but the oil pressure is still low, less than 1 bar at start and shortly after.

Also, the oil wasn't hot. The engine should be up to temperature, or at least 80C (which is hot enough to check the oil level). When I've changed my Turbo's oil the engine is hot because I just drove the car 30 miles to the office where I would do the oil change.

The drain time is 20 minutes.

Because the engine is not hot when you change the oil when you add the fresh oil you have to run the engine longer in order to get the oil hot enough to check the oil level with the electronic oil level sensor.

You need to verify the oil level reading is correct based on knowing you put in the correct amount of oil. IOWs, you don't or shouldn't rely upon the electronic oil level sensor to tell you have the right amount of oil in the engine you rely upon the fact you physically put the right amount of oil in the engine. Porsche techs have a digital readout of the quantity of oil that is dispensed from the oil gun in the service bay. Thus they know how much oil was added to the engine and then that the oil level sensor reading agrees with this.

The drain plugs on the turbo-chargers get tightened to 30nM (22 ftlbs).

Old 01-14-2017, 09:26 AM
infinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to beholdinfinkc is a splendid one to behold
Nice diy, happen to have the part numbers for all the crush washers.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:40 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Turbo (one on each) crush washers: 90012314030
Crankcase: 90012311830
Oil tank: 90012301020

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...rt-numbes.html

Last edited by jpflip; 01-14-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-14-2017, 02:17 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
use this website for the crush washers. they cost pennies on the dollar compared to oem
http://www.koperformance.com

just search the part # on there and they will redirect you to the right washer

Old 01-19-2017, 02:05 PM
docboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond reputedocboy has a reputation beyond repute
Great video, thanks for sharing OP! I'm going to have to do this DIY one of these days. I just scheduled an oil change at an indy this week, who's going to do an inspection of the car as well, so I figure I'm going to keep the appointment.

Mind me asking where do you get the oil, filter, and O-rings?