996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

another rod bites the dust !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 10:05 AM
mtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond repute
another rod bites the dust !

This is the consequence when cooking a28s at 2.1 bar boost spike (huge low end tq) ! all rods are twisted ,like shown in the picture bellow no 3 is the worst twisted and the knocker ! no 1 and no 6 are less twisted ... this telling me bad distribution from injecting meth very close to the TB... since ive decide to change my nozzle further at the end of Ypipe...

My engine builder told me there is no signs of detonation and no other damage reported ! i guess i had good luck there...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150528_111957.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	421096   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150528_112020.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	421097   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150528_112140.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	990.4 KB
ID:	421098  
Attached Images  

Last edited by mtlsp; 05-28-2015 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:04 AM
Forrest Gump 9 has a spectacular aura aboutForrest Gump 9 has a spectacular aura about
Damn. At least the rods didn't let go. Hopefully the crank, pistons, and bores are ok.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:04 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear man!! Why would you have bad distribution from the meth nozzle? Do you not think it's atomizing properly? Or doing something weird in the Plenum?

Old 05-28-2015, 11:09 AM
Highlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond repute
Ouch, that looks nasty! Glad the rest of the mill survived.

Any special goodies going in on the rebuild?

Old 05-28-2015, 11:15 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Glad to hear it wasn't worse! Meth and A28 = S shaped rods

Now you can fix/upgrade and really let it rip!

Old 05-28-2015, 11:52 AM
mtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond reputemtlsp has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 03EvoIII
Sorry to hear man!! Why would you have bad distribution from the meth nozzle? Do you not think it's atomizing properly? Or doing something weird in the Plenum?
it is between bad distribution and or to much low end tq ....

from this experience i think (maybee)injecting meth between MAP(IAT) sensor and TB is risky imo!first it maybee not having time to atomize properly and secondly IAT(map sensor) is not reading the real temp

as you can see in the picture below i feel more confident injecting in smaller piping far from TB

2" 5/8 vs 2"1/8

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150528_132929[1].jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	421107   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140919_155014.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	421108  
Old 05-28-2015, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Highlander
Ouch, that looks nasty! Glad the rest of the mill survived.

Any special goodies going in on the rebuild?
nothing special mate very basic rebuilt as my goal is under 850hp

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Glad to hear it wasn't worse! Meth and A28 = S shaped rods

Now you can fix/upgrade and really let it rip!
yes sir! the only downside is the time to get your engine back and deal with shop! now 6 month waiting ....

Last edited by mtlsp; 05-28-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:54 PM
CBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to beholdCBRacerX is a splendid one to behold
A friend recently had his '01 apart that had not been running anything other than high boost and pump gas, his rods were also bent! He replaced with stock as he is detuning the car.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:04 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Amazing explosion must happen to bend the rods like that..It would be interesting to know the pressure needed on the piston to have such a result....Thanks for sharing Mike!!!

Old 05-28-2015, 03:06 PM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Having the nozzle pre-MAP/IAT would cause it to see a lower IAT and should compensate/add fueling. Which might helped to keep power down a tad or maybe just cause an over fueling/rich condition (probably not at 2bar). But if you don't see any detonation on the top of the piston faces..I doubt it was 'lean', probably just too much POWA! That meth is good stuff from the looks of it!!! Adds a bit of safety into the system as long as you aren't pushing the limits, etc. Good luck man!

Old 05-28-2015, 03:28 PM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
IN terms of basic Newtonian physics the lower rpm MASSIVE torque developed by A28 turbos and other low down boosters can also induce a "natural frequency" event in an engine like the 996TT

Amazing how tough the rest of your car's engine is though MIKE... I thought pushing 1.8 bars on the stock internals was tough

It seems from all of my research that the A28 at high boost and alpha 71's with smaller hot sides and K24 billets on E85 etc that do 5.2-5.4 or so 60-130 mph all seem to twist rods.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:29 PM
wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !wolfhedge Is a GOD !
Having the nozzle pre-MAP/IAT would cause it to see a lower IAT and should compensate/add fueling. Which might helped to keep power down a tad or maybe just cause an over fueling/rich condition (probably not at 2bar). But if you don't see any detonation on the top of the piston faces..I doubt it was 'lean', probably just too much POWA! That meth is good stuff from the looks of it!!! Adds a bit of safety into the system as long as you aren't pushing the limits, etc. Good luck man!
Pure torque without detonation will bend rods..... many rods are twisting in the wind on E85 cars with zero signs of detonation or any timing pull

Old 05-28-2015, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by jpflip
Amazing explosion must happen to bend the rods like that..It would be interesting to know the pressure needed on the piston to have such a result....Thanks for sharing Mike!!!
would not put my toe in that combustion chamber JP !

good statement ! but why would no3 had more bent than the other ?that put me a red light on...

Originally Posted by wolfhedge
IN terms of basic Newtonian physics the lower rpm MASSIVE torque developed by A28 turbos and other low down boosters can also induce a "natural frequency" event in an engine like the 996TT

Amazing how tough the rest of your car's engine is though MIKE... I thought pushing 1.8 bars on the stock internals was tough

It seems from all of my research that the A28 at high boost and alpha 71's with smaller hot sides and K24 billets on E85 etc that do 5.2-5.4 or so 60-130 mph all seem to twist rods.
its like injecting a 150shot NOS below 3000rpm! bin there before mate! what a mess...

Last edited by mtlsp; 05-28-2015 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:37 PM
I have a progressive Nitrous Express Meth kit... are they any good for Porkers... say I run E85 and 100% meth spray ?

Old 05-28-2015, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by wolfhedge
I have a progressive Nitrous Express Meth kit... are they any good for Porkers... say I run E85 and 100% meth spray ?
with e85 no need to run a meth kit!but better , get some gt42r and add nitrous to help these monster spool up...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: another rod bites the dust !