996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help! Car wont go in gear after clutch booster spring removed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 11:20 AM
Vespoli is on a distinguished road
Angry Help! Car wont go in gear after clutch booster spring removed

Hi guys,

I had my indy take out the clutch booster spring as they were doing an oil change and I drove the car home about 6 miles no problem.

Fast forward to this morning and when the car is turned on it wont go in gear at all. There is no way this can be a coincidence.

One thing I noticed is that instead of just taking the spring out they took the assembly out (see picture below)

Click image for larger version

Name:	17kyatq.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	503.0 KB
ID:	540348

Did they take out too much? If so, have I likely damaged anything by driving the car 6 miles? And if they look to have removed the spring correctly, any ideas what the problem is?

I am hesitant to have the car towed from my house until I have a better understanding of the issue because the car is lowered and the last tow truck driver caused about 3k of damage which they ended up paying for.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Justin

Old 07-29-2015, 11:34 AM
03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute03EvoIII has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like the spring is out....correctly. Can you snap a pic from under the dash?

Old 07-29-2015, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by 03EvoIII
Looks like the spring is out....correctly. Can you snap a pic from under the dash?
Thanks for the quick reply. Here are a couple of quick shots from under the dash. Is there something you want me to get a better picture of?

Name:	AVoxZOy.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	540346

Name:	DFNnLs0.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	540347

Old 07-29-2015, 12:13 PM
Added pictures

Old 07-29-2015, 12:16 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Can you get it into any gear? For example, maybe it won't go into reverse to pull out of the garage but it will go into 1st. Put it in first, inch forward a couple inches, then try to put into reverse.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:20 PM
The car will go into gear if it is turned off strangely enough. It will not start in gear though. And when I start it in neutral it wont go into any gear.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:32 PM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
let me ask you this, when you picked the car up, was it running? when you hopped in. \ btw, do you still have clutch switch? I'm attaching image, so you can compare. which parts are missing. because clutch switch should be there left alone (unless I'm blind) #9 part

have the car in neutral - try to start the car, without pressing the clutch in. see what happens -

Last edited by MadWhip; 07-29-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:33 PM
sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !sinKing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vespoli
The car will go into gear if it is turned off strangely enough. It will not start in gear though. And when I start it in neutral it wont go into any gear.
Is there anything blocking the clutch. It sounds like it's not depressing all the way because (1) you can't get the transmission into gear with the engine running and (2) it sounds like the clutch switch isn't being activated allowing you to start the car in gear.

Is there any kind of clutch stop that has been added?

Old 07-29-2015, 01:19 PM
So strangely enough as I was fiddling with things and got back in to test it, it is magically working again. So weird. I turned the car off and on multiple times and rowed through the gears. I think it was stuck on something earlier as the clutch throw seems much further now than when it wouldn't go in gear.

I do have one last issue which is that my fuel gauge is showing empty even though I know I have about half a tank left. As I was trying to start it in gear and it was having trouble, the fuel gauge dropped suddenly to zero and the computer is showing 0 miles left on the tank. Lol. Any ideas as to what this is? I'm thinking maybe disconnecting the battery might reset it?

Thanks for the help with this everyone.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:44 PM
Added pictures

Old 07-29-2015, 03:07 PM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
clutch feel will be different now with spring removed, ie: on my car, it was worse when shifting through gears, (with spring removed) felt like clutch engaged slowly, (maybe do to my harsh aftermarket clutch ) I didn't like that, so i slapped spring back in.

as far fuel gauge if you disconnect the battery> sometimes fuel gauge freaks out, with 1/2 a tank or below, drive to the gas station, get full tank of gas, see if that helps

Last edited by MadWhip; 07-29-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:37 PM
Fuel gauge fixed itself and we are back in business!

Thank you everyone for all the help it is awesome to have the community chime in with suggestions so quickly when these annoying issues come up.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:20 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
clutch sping won't have anything to do with the car going in and out of gear. its only function is to make depressing the pedal easier. sounds like a possible clutch fork bearing is going south hanging the clutch fork or possibly the throwout bearing is going bad.
as for the fuel gauge the float may be hanging up on the side of the fuel cell, or it may not be reading the lower half as the needle gets a half life ground into it if the car has half tank and refilled regurally never allowing the needle to wear evenly

Old 07-29-2015, 05:04 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
You guys say it makes the clutch easier but I swear on my car pressing the pedal stretched the spring, like it better without it!