996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

PSS9 Not Rotating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:11 PM
su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !
PSS9 Not Rotating

So, I seem to have the same clunk that many have reported with PSS9s. I lifted up the car and checked to see that everything was tightened down and there was no binding or rubbing.

Everything was tightened down but one thing I noticed when turning the steering assembly was that the assembly was rotating the spring on the metal plate and not the bearing. This is causing it to pop when turning.

Am I missing something with the assembly?

This is how I have it set up..

Curved Metal Washer
\
Top Mount
\
Strut Bearing (One piece version)
\
Rubber Piece
\
Angled Metal Mount
\
Curved Metal Washer
\
Grooved Ring

Something is keeping the bearing from turning correctly. Am I missing something?

Old 09-02-2015, 04:23 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
I had this problem before I installed a roller bearing to release the bind. TC design in CA that sells a thin roller bearing that sits under the spring. It keeps the spring from binding. Added them when I converted to PSS9's. No squeaks since.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:12 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Bolting some coilovers on this car sounds like a real pita. Why don't this expensive kits come with what's needed? Looks like a vendor could clean up here.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:34 AM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
+1, I agree man, especially being that the platform has been around for quite a while. Should be mastered and simple by now but seems like lots of guys keep having issues with the coilovers themselves, bad instructions, and/or the supporting parts not gelling properly. I plan to do mine soon but all these issues guys are having seems pretty off.

Sorry can't help su_maverick, since I still have not done mine yet but hopefully you will get this resolved soon. I'm sure you'll get it sorted.

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Bolting some coilovers on this car sounds like a real pita. Why don't this expensive kits come with what's needed? Looks like a vendor could clean up here.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:18 AM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I don't have the instructs with me, but there are several components from the original suspension that must be reused for proper install...I do not have the issue you speak of.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:45 AM
su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !su_maverick Is a GOD !
I tried searching here, RL and RT for info and its spotty at best.

I did reuse a couple pieces from the original suspension but the Bilstien instructions are vague at best.

Stock pieces I reused:
#8 - 2x curved washers (top and bottom of top mount)
#12 - Top mount
#11 - Rotating spring bearing (new updated version)
#7 - Grooved washer (goes directly on top of shock)
#9 - Rubber gasket (that the previous two piece bearing sat in)

the only part that I didnt use was #10 which was the metal holder for the old two piece bearing.

There is obviously something locking up in the front so I want to sort this out before I drive it anymore. Id rather not lump out another 7-800 for a monoball setup in the front but Im pretty particular when it comes to suspensions.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:03 AM
Thats what has bugged me as well. Any other set of coilovers I have ever seen has come ready to be installed as a direct swap out. Im pretty sure most people would be fine paying 200 more or so to have a ready assembled kit versus one they have to piece together.

Im also really annoyed with Bilstien that they have not updated their instructions when they know that they are missing pieces in it that are pretty critical to proper assembly.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:51 AM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
This is interesting but sad as you have mentioned that they cant supply a working kit out of the box with good directions. This car has been around long enough for this to be well sorted. Good luck.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:25 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by su_maverick
Thats what has bugged me as well. Any other set of coilovers I have ever seen has come ready to be installed as a direct swap out. Im pretty sure most people would be fine paying 200 more or so to have a ready assembled kit versus one they have to piece together.

Im also really annoyed with Bilstien that they have not updated their instructions when they know that they are missing pieces in it that are pretty critical to proper assembly.
Yup. Nothing pisses me off more than doing a project to learn I need to buy something else I didn't know about. Not the money aspect, but figuring out what I need, then having to order and wait for it

Old 09-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Yup. Nothing pisses me off more than doing a project to learn I need to buy something else I didn't know about. Not the money aspect, but figuring out what I need, then having to order and wait for it
Exactly. I just want to know what I need to have a safe/functioning suspension and not have to dig through dozens of threads (some of which has conflicting information). I dont mind spending the money but I want to know that it will fix the issue. Id rather not have to shell out another couple hundred for monoballs if I dont have to.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:15 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
Some threads to look through:

Coil Bind

another

Old 09-02-2015, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by wross996TT
Some threads to look through:

Coil Bind

another
For the front, I do have the bearing they mention (its #11 in the diagram I posted up)

The second link is for the rear which is fine. No issues there.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:47 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
The TC Design bearing solved this problem on my car. Maybe you have a different problem?

Last edited by Gunther; 09-03-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:02 PM
Not sure to be honest. From what I can tell, my issue is that the top is not rotating as it should. Since the top is angled, it needs to rotate correctly to keep the geometry of the suspension intact.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:08 PM
AZ996TT is just really niceAZ996TT is just really niceAZ996TT is just really niceAZ996TT is just really niceAZ996TT is just really nice
I wonder if the rubber cup the bearing is in is binding it? Did you jack front end up and have some one turn wheel while you are watching it? I think you will need to try and reassemble with steel bearing retainer? Bottom of bearing is held in place and top rotates on strut mount?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PSS9 Not Rotating