996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Suspension creak/noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 07:52 AM
BenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to behold
Suspension creak/noise

I have a 03 with 51k miles. I have the x73 suspension and the car has developed a mean creaking noise from the front end. My indie replaced the top shock mounts and after he lubricated everything the noise stopped for a week. I can be driving down the road at low speeds and hear the creak. I can turn the wheel when stopped and hear it. I can also hear it if I back off the gas.
I can spray the entire shock assy with wd40 and it will temporarily be silent.
I tried to isolate the noise by spraying the lower suspension bits and the noise was still there. I'm thinking it's an upper suspension issue Any ideas?????
My indie thinks it's the shocks themselves but I don't agree.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:10 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
the top mounts need to have the bearing backing plates replaced at the same time. they wear out usually at the same time and are part of the top mount assembly component parts. ask to ensure he changed them as well. if not, that'll be your cause.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !
Suspension creak/noise

Sorry to rant but most indy shops don't know **** about these cars. For these cars, this is by far the most knowledgable group of guys I've ever been a part of. Listen to the advice you're given here and ditch the indy. I did months ago and learned so much about my car, and saved a ton of money. Just a quick search here will likely get you any info you need.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:56 PM
BenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to beholdBenTT is a splendid one to behold
My indie says mounts and bearings replaced

Old 09-06-2015, 02:56 PM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
if they replaced upper mounts and bearings, you should jack the vehicle up and wiggle the wheel, passenger side and drivers side, while off the ground. If you feel deflection or movement. check all the bolt joints. ripped rubber or maybe lower bolt joint is rusted, needs to be replaced,

how much they charge you for upper mounts and bearings?

Old 09-07-2015, 06:44 AM
Fishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Jeanmarcboilard
Sorry to rant but most indy shops don't know **** about these cars. For these cars, this is by far the most knowledgable group of guys I've ever been a part of. Listen to the advice you're given here and ditch the indy. I did months ago and learned so much about my car, and saved a ton of money. Just a quick search here will likely get you any info you need.
So, this might be the worst information I have ever read. A Indy shop can be excellent or it can be bad just like everything else in life it depends on the individual. However, a car forum is no replacement for having trained eyes physically look at the problem.

That being said like all good internet gurus, with absolutely no way of diagnosing your car over the internet except the information your providing. I mean, like absolutely no way to put your car in-front of me on a rack and turn it loaded on slip plates to track the noise and stethoscope the location to pin-point the cause. I am going to throw out an accurate diagnosis!

So, with the powers invested in me as an Internet Guru... You need to replace your Swaybar Endlinks.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/por...11-37643017381

Your Pal
-Fishey

Last edited by Fishey; 09-07-2015 at 06:46 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:45 AM
rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !rmc1148 Is a GOD !
I know I will be hated for this comment but most problems I see here and on the other forum are easy 101 things you run into the first few years of doing your own repairs. It is nice to get ideas/help from members and we all need it from time to time but fishey is correct that you cannot tell much from behind a screen.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:28 AM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
thats bulls*it. too. some issues and problems are so common to these cars that some of "us"/"them" have had "them" many times! the fix is usually always the same! so,..why not share from ones experience?! all one needs to hear are the symptoms and a bit of background to properly make an internet diagnosis and though not always right ( duh ) they are ( mostly ) educated "guesses" based upon others previous real world experiences with similar issues and their "solutions" so. no, it's not web md! and sure, they too will warn you against taking what you read vis a vis "advice" with a grain of salt and not treat it as "gospel" for legal reasons. but these aint MEDICAL diagnosis! none of anything said does ANYTHING to diminish the FACT the counless guys here get correct advice daily regarding issues with their cars, or what parts go best together etc etc.

there is no one definitive "answer". there are merely EDUCATED guesses. some better than others, and should be treated as such, and sure, maybe little more than that even if they DO tend to be correct MORE often than not. sheesh. so what ELSE is the joint for, beyond whose wing is baddest?! or "gee, what tires should i get?!"

unfrickincredible

Old 09-07-2015, 09:31 AM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Sway bar bushings have been known to be one of the major creakers on all 996 models.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by nick49
Sway bar bushings have been known to be one of the major creakers on all 996 models.
control arm bushings fail, made outa rubber and creak like any worn rubber bit's are prone to do! thats why vertex ( crap? made the bushings outa poly ) control arm links, sway bar drop link, inner & outer tie-rods, and yes... sway bar bushings.

check every one of those parts. "some"where in all that there hopefully you''ll find your creak(s), and hopefully someone here has given you a paddle.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Jlang is on a distinguished road
I'm having the exact same issue on my 01' 996 TT. I took the car to an indie shop and replaced both of the top mounts. I even looked at the lower control arms which were still fine. I ended up replacing the front shocks with HR coil overs and mounts. I'm still hearing the same creaking noise.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:22 PM
^ your shop ( and perhaps more importantly ) the OP's shop has to check EVERY connected bit. my shop ( when my tech doesn't do house calls ) has NEVER given me my car back after performing something or other and not have the issue at least pinpointed! and then advising on a course of remedy or repair..if not in fact have it already sorted.

if that's the kind of shop you are forced to endure, i pity the fool. one other thing, if EVERY time you don't leave that shop KNOWING more about your car, than you did prior to bringing it in to sort whatever issue brought you back in?

you should find another shop. geography permitting. my 02.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Fishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to beholdFishey is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
thats bulls*it. too. some issues and problems are so common to these cars that some of "us"/"them" have had "them" many times! the fix is usually always the same! so,..why not share from ones experience?! all one needs to hear are the symptoms and a bit of background to properly make an internet diagnosis and though not always right ( duh ) they are ( mostly ) educated "guesses" based upon others previous real world experiences with similar issues and their "solutions" so. no, it's not web md! and sure, they too will warn you against taking what you read vis a vis "advice" with a grain of salt and not treat it as "gospel" for legal reasons. but these aint MEDICAL diagnosis! none of anything said does ANYTHING to diminish the FACT the counless guys here get correct advice daily regarding issues with their cars, or what parts go best together etc etc.

there is no one definitive "answer". there are merely EDUCATED guesses. some better than others, and should be treated as such, and sure, maybe little more than that even if they DO tend to be correct MORE often than not. sheesh. so what ELSE is the joint for, beyond whose wing is baddest?! or "gee, what tires should i get?!"

unfrickincredible
Sure, the internet is helpful and even as a professional technician I often browse the forums for helpful information. However, the internet is no replacement for a professional especially when most owners are not what I would call mechanically inclined.

As I mentioned earlier I still suspect the swaybar endlinks.

This is very easy to test as you can remove the swaybar endlinks and feel if they are sticky. It is very common that they will start to make noise but if your not convinced you can drive the car with them disconnected. If you want you can just remove the entire swaybar assembly but in the end you will know for sure if something in that system is the source of the noise. At the very least you will be able to eliminate it as a cause and its only an hour or so of labor.

Old 09-07-2015, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Fishey
Sure, the internet is helpful and even as a professional technician I often browse the forums for helpful information. However, the internet is no replacement for a professional especially when most owners are not what I would call mechanically inclined.

As I mentioned earlier I still suspect the swaybar endlinks.

This is very easy to test as you can remove the swaybar endlinks and feel if they are sticky. It is very common that they will start to make noise but if your not convinced you can drive the car with them disconnected. If you want you can just remove the entire swaybar assembly but in the end you will know for sure if something in that system is the source of the noise. At the very least you will be able to eliminate it as a cause and its only an hour or so of labor.

i agree fully. it just helps many of us who are novitiates to learn as much as one possibly can as i have found over my MANY years of living, the more you "know" when you do consult with an expert, the less painfully you theoretically get bent over.

my first 100k porsche they tried to claim I made 2nd gear pop out and having had FIRSThand prior dealing with PCNA"s obfuscation and lies and generally evasive behaviors that concur usually about the time a major claim against them for damages or repairs is sought, that ANY info you bring levels the playing field.

i got much of that info right here. now ( idiot that i am ) i share what i can and am hopefully right more often than a clock.

but i still agree with your clarification, and recognize you have more "firsthand" experience in repairing sh*t. but i've gained enough valuable info over the years to fool many a pro and save many ducats in the process! carry on, and cheers.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:00 PM
Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !
Suspension creak/noise

Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
i agree fully. it just helps many of us who are novitiates to learn as much as one possibly can as i have found over my MANY years of living, the more you "know" when you do consult with an expert, the less painfully you theoretically get bent over.

my first 100k porsche they tried to claim I made 2nd gear pop out and having had FIRSThand prior dealing with PCNA"s obfuscation and lies and generally evasive behaviors that concur usually about the time a major claim against them for damages or repairs is sought, that ANY info you bring levels the playing field.

i got much of that info right here. now ( idiot that i am ) i share what i can and am hopefully right more often than a clock.

but i still agree with your clarification, and recognize you have more "firsthand" experience in repairing sh*t. but i've gained enough valuable info over the years to fool many a pro and save many ducats in the process! carry on, and cheers.
I guess my rant was about my specific "Indy" shop who had a giant Porsche sign out front of their shop but totally messed up my car and the terrific people on this forum helped me fix every issue I had.
Sorry to thread jack but I'm having the same creaking issue and I'm sure the average shop would come up with some bull**** diagnosis when all I need is the oem plate. Which, I learned about right here on this forum.

Last edited by Jeanmarcboilard; 09-07-2015 at 07:04 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suspension creak/noise