996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Upgraded aero and brakes for 996tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 01:54 PM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks guys for you feed-back

Our local track on its short version has like 3300m or a bit more than 2miles, quite slow track as was designed by a former bike champion

One 458 challenge ran 1:25-1:26 easily driven by a former ferrari challenge driver
A friend of mine who is a semi-pro driver, ran this car first time, did 1:25 and said it has potential for 1:20 or low 20s anyway .. wow!!!

997.2gt3 on slicks runs like 1:33
radical sr3 and cayman cup(slicks) runs 1:35
the new amg gts ran high 1:38 oem tires
gt-r 600-650hp R888 - 1:37/1:38
m3 e92 ess625 semi-slicks, semi-pro driver 1:37
very fast bikes (race bikes/slicks/etc) 1:24(till 1:32 or so) driven by our national champion
When I had huge gt30s not the best for road racing, rwd and R888 my best was 1:42
Switching to gtx2863 and 4wd, but low boost(too low maybe) I did 1:39

Now I run only the long version (using higher boost) and harry laptimer estimates virtual best 1:36, but it takes into consideration only 3/4 of the short track for time improvement, I estimate to run like 1:34 now
This was done with only 225/295 tires (MPSC2), oem camber, toe, etc

For 2016, planning to convert back to RWD, add full gt2 oem-ish aero, add 245/305 tires and a lot of camber/toe, some fine tuning of hp (boost by gear) and power delivery too along with upgraded girodisc rotors 350mm F/R. Pads were and will remain carbotech xp20, weight will be quite the same as going to install a roll-bar.

Really curious how much time I am going to cut, the circuit has only 2nd/3rd gear turns and guess the upgraded suspension will help a lot keeping the car planted

Running the long version (4.3km or 2.65miles) of the track I did 1:52 with traffic
stock 991 turbo S 560hp w OEM tires ran 1:55 driven by a time attack driver (traffic too)
some ferrari f430 and 458 scuderia ran very bad times due to what heavychevy said... poor drivers..1:59 to 2:04... like VW Golf R with few mods on good tires.. LOL

but this racecar ran 1:44.9 http://motorsport.sincars.co.uk/ these guys run in the gt4 championship, guess the 458s challenge are gong to be even faster than that
fastest race bikes ran even high 1:43s and lots of 1:44s
radical sr3 ran 1:50

track is just finished(long version) and nobody is faster yet as they will come to race this year, really hope to have some cars to stand those 458s, its going to be fun this year anyway

Old 01-11-2016, 02:34 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
An SR3 is way faster than a cayman cup and a 997 GT3 on slicks. That's a poor driver. Should be well into the 1:20's on a twisty track.

2nd gear? 2nd gear is pretty much useless if you have stock gearing. I absolutely never use it, no matter how slow the turn. not even autocross.

You are only going to get so far on MPSC. The mods you have listed aren't going to gain you much time. Do you have an LSD?

Old 01-11-2016, 03:58 PM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
I have just used a list from Kaizu's car and modified it (thanks kaizu), my new mods not yet tested on the car, marked with "2016 -"

Suspension:
KW V3
2016 - KW stiffer springs for v3
2016 - KW uniball top mounts
2016 - RSS Front Lower Control Arms
2016 - RSS Rear Lower Control Arms
2016 - RSS Front Bump Steer Kit
2016 - RSS Rear Toe Steer Kit
2016 - RSS Rear Toe Steer Lock Out Plates
2016 - RSS Dogbones
Designtek sway bars (F+R)

Brakes:
OEM calipers 4pots
2016 - Girodisc 350/350 F/R
Castrol SRF
Carbotech Xp20 pads
2016 - GT3 brake lines
2016 - GT3 Cup front and rear brake cooling ducts
2016 - Deleting Porsche Stability Management

Engine:
Rods Pauter
Studs Raceware
HeadGasket Cometic
Light manual heads porting
Garrett Gtx2863 AR.64 Garrett housing
External gates 44mm TIALs
Bosch Motorsport fuel injectors 80lb
E85 compatible fuel system 2x044 in parallel and surge tank
upgraded fuel lines
big Y pipe, gt3 82mm TB and plenum
Upgraded diverter valves
Cargraphic catless exhaust
2016 - INEQUAL (new) headers
Markskituning 4.5" intercoolers
Air filters above Intercoolers
2016 RSS engine mounts
CSF radiators
Protomotive tune for 91+meth running up to 1.35bar on pump94
Mafless tune
Aquamist HFS4 with dual injectors
Plex boost controller being able to ramp boost by rpm, gear, IAT, EGT, etc

Drivetrain:
2016 - RWD, switched back and forth, decided to keep RWD
997 GT2 gearbox (strengthened internals & better gear ratios for taller 19" tires vs. 996 Turbo gearbox)
Wavetrack LSD/TBD
Sachs sports clutch kit (custom) rated 1000Nm
Numeric Short Shifter

Wheels:
2016 - 997 gt3/gt2 8.5x19" ET53 & 12x19" ET51 wheels
2016 - 5mm front spacers, 15mm rear spacers
2016 - 245/35/19 & 305/30/19 Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires

have also OEM and might try some slicks, have also some other tires in my garage: 225/295 MPSC2; 235/315 R888 etc

Exterior:
2016 - DP motorsport GT2 body kit - working aero
rear wiper delete

Interior:
2016 - Wiechers roll-cage (half)
996 GT2/GT3 carbon seats (8kg each)
Schroth 6-point seat belts
Rear seats and rear seatbelts delete

Weight reduction
removed tools, spare wheel, carpeting, etc
rwd, no front
deleted rear seats, belts, rear wiper
light seats - carbon
no subwoofer
added weight - meth kit, roll cage, bigger turbos, intercoolers etc
maybe 19"wheels might be heavier, tires etc

Car should weigh about 3280lbs including 1/3tank of fuel, I weight about 215-220lbs. Car was and will be kept lowered bellow gt2 specs

Still having A/C, stereo and ALL functionalities of the oem car. What else do you recommend to improve my times ?

Last edited by Fadi; 08-06-2017 at 07:56 AM. Reason: added text
Old 01-11-2016, 04:00 PM
You are right, I use 2nd gear just in a single turn, otherwise all are 3rd gear turns (only, no 4th), straight line using up to 5th gear, had 151mph gps verified at the end and have to break till 50mph

Old 02-18-2016, 01:24 PM
Work in progress

Guys just two quick Qs to you:

1. Please take a look at my new headers, dont know why (this shop works a lot on Subaru's too) they did the headers INEQUAL, will go back to them and try to improve a bit, but quite sure in the end those wont be 100% equal between them... so should ALL 6 cylinders have equal corresponding runners or a small difference is ok?

2. GT2 owners, please let me know if the whole under the back wing, that routes air to the engine I supose, should be painted on the same color with the rest of the car, including interior of it... please take a look at last 3 pics

thanks

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-18 17.35.12.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	440590   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-18 21.54.11.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	440592   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-18 17.34.41.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	440593   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-09 22.51.21.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	440594   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-02-18 17.35.19.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	440595  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Au6XJTyjsz36JXrdkRg_kb-6Se8Xm7Cl1ragi5zXo5O5.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	367.7 KB
ID:	440596   Click image for larger version

Name:	ArnJHuaGN_uv9afdjWCFgB1YmybOGBrZuXPidQt8b1ZA.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	440597  
Attached Images    
Old 02-18-2016, 01:37 PM
Note material thickness differences, more pics of the inequal headers lol

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AslH0o5iBNn8UZgczZbOGrhrYVNHr0g5P77mYjarFLoS.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	440598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aufjbnb9bbF2TQLcif77iC1LU8ClVVOJOlNIiBRMuITP.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	440599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ap8yYjG9ihJ9FZvMGAZXCAvanv7xVIBrgx6ltiZzKYxt.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	440600   Click image for larger version

Name:	ApJbPtlPpc5fqpoTbLzPEE8SSkTqBLhj85amAT5vJY1P.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	440601   Click image for larger version

Name:	ApZ0TS6xeVSXbWbuGHuaGnc0UrIzva1zYzSl9_nbijph.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	440602  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aj2cn35nbcpfEEtIlIU9UtY7PGUGSyElDbad02hAGJgu.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	440603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ak9nObXDbr2BaF52rkGK8Z8p954qpbPVpjcNSx4zEQLv.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	440604  
Old 02-18-2016, 01:39 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Couple of things Fadi. The rear Tarett drop links you have are the short ones designed for PSS10 or shock shocks. You will want to install the longer ones (listed by Tarett for Moton/JRZ) as the attachment point is higher on the KW shocks. The longer drop links will also provide better geometry as you change the attachment to the sway bar (stiffer to softer). In other words, the drop link will maintain more "vertical" as you change sway stiffness settings thus placing less torque on the lower rubber shock bushing. You want the drop links as long as possible. That is why the Tarett front extended length drop links are such a good product.

The headers concern me as they hang very low (especially on the passenger side) on the car thus making them susceptible to damage especially on track with a lowered car. A good impact on the headers during an off track or contact with curbing can easily damage your header and also the engine case as a result. I would not put those on my car but that's just me. Why are you going with headers? The OEM ones are double walled and proven very very good especially if you port them. I would not mess with aftermarket headers.

Is the rear wing angle adjustable? You will want that.

Good luck with the project...looks like it's coming along nicely..

Last edited by pwdrhound; 02-18-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:44 PM
John, didnt know that... ohhh there is so much to learn about this car LOL
Will try t change them, hope will be able to, otherwise guess will have to keep them

I did headers as my old turbos were huge gt30s and already had the setup ready, bought smaller turbos (gtx2863) and after that headers cracked again and again and decided to rebuild them. Will modify them for better clearance, but dont know if the runner difference should worry me or not. I supose till 1.6-1.7bar (more than track use) will not be a problem but if I ever decide to run 2bar for fun once or twice, not so sure its ok

Old 02-18-2016, 01:51 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fadi
John, didnt know that... ohhh there is so much to learn about this car LOL
Will try t change them, hope will be able to, otherwise guess will have to keep them

I did headers as my old turbos were huge gt30s and already had the setup ready, bought smaller turbos (gtx2863) and after that headers cracked again and again and decided to rebuild them. Will modify them for better clearance, but dont know if the runner difference should worry me or not. I supose till 1.6-1.7bar (more than track use) will not be a problem but if I ever decide to run 2bar for fun once or twice, not so sure its ok
Yeah, the devil is in the details. lol. I've been down this path before. Yeah, definitely get the longer drop links especially if you're using a 3 or 4 way adjustable sway bar.

I would not worry about having the header length perfectly equal. The stockers have been proven to 1000hp or so without issues. The ground clearance is what would seriously concern me for track use.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:12 PM
stockers are inequal? they seemed pretty equal to me.

having external wastegate setup and boost controller allows me to run almost any turbo set-up I want without the necessity to retune, otherwise OEM headers rock!

any gt2 owners here?

Old 02-18-2016, 04:23 PM
Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !
I think you should be able to come up with a better exhaust header design than that. I have these Agency Power external wastegate headers and they're great. Markski tuning also makes a nice set.

Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2016, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Couple of things Fadi. The rear Tarett drop links you have are the short ones designed for PSS10 or shock shocks. You will want to install the longer ones (listed by Tarett for Moton/JRZ) as the attachment point is higher on the KW shocks. The longer drop links will also provide better geometry as you change the attachment to the sway bar (stiffer to softer). In other words, the drop link will maintain more "vertical" as you change sway stiffness settings thus placing less torque on the lower rubber shock bushing. You want the drop links as long as possible. That is why the Tarett front extended length drop links are such a good product.

The headers concern me as they hang very low (especially on the passenger side) on the car thus making them susceptible to damage especially on track with a lowered car. A good impact on the headers during an off track or contact with curbing can easily damage your header and also the engine case as a result. I would not put those on my car but that's just me. Why are you going with headers? The OEM ones are double walled and proven very very good especially if you port them. I would not mess with aftermarket headers.

Is the rear wing angle adjustable? You will want that.

Good luck with the project...looks like it's coming along nicely..
Hey John, seems Tarrett has only longer drop links available for FRONT not back ?

they have 3 models for FRONTS

stock suspension
pss9/10
ohlins

I guess should pick the ohlins version for both front and back, right ?

For BACK only one model

thanks

Last edited by Fadi; 02-22-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:12 AM
Hey John, seems Tarrett has only longer drop links available for FRONT not back ?

they have 3 models for FRONTS

stock suspension
pss9/10
ohlins

I guess should pick the ohlins version for both front and back, right ?

For BACK only one model

thanks
Fadi,
Refresh my memory, but I think you are running KW shocks. These Tarett drop links you want for the rear are those designed for GT3/Moton/JRZ. Those are longer than the ones you have (Stock/PSS9/10). Part number is GT3RDLNK of the longer ones. Here is the link to them. They show if picture of the short ones (the ones you have). You must select the longer GT3 version from the drop down menu.

http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...lnk-detail.htm

For the front, Tarett offers the regular drop links or the extended version drop link which utilizes their mounting brackets that thread onto the shock body. The extended versions are the best as they will offer the least amount of binding as you turn the steering wheel due to their geometry. The longer the better. I run the extended version as you can see pictured below. If you are running GT3 upright, I'd opt for the extended version. With AWD uprights, I'd stick with the regular ones. I am not very familiar with KW shocks so you will need to check with Tarett on the proper version of each. I know JRZ/Moton/MCS/GT3 use the same size and thread pitch of the shock body but I'm not sure about KW. Ira should know. Hope that helps.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/n5YYfX]

Old 02-22-2016, 11:41 AM
Yes running Kw v3 and adding also top mounts

FRONT - I just did the RWD conversion, classic job. Didnt buy new upgrights, so I should leave the short ones, right? They are still like 1inch longer than stock

So would leave the short ones

BACK - I understand GT3RDLNK are compatible with Turbo and should change

Did I understand right?

Old 02-22-2016, 11:52 AM
Yes running Kw v3 and adding also top mounts

FRONT - I just did the RWD conversion, classic job. Didnt buy new upgrights, so I should leave the short ones, right? They are still like 1inch longer than stock

So would leave the short ones

BACK - I understand GT3RDLNK are compatible with Turbo and should change

Did I understand right?
The AWD upright in the front makes positioning the extended drop links very tricky due to the goofy geometry as the AWD upright rotates. Stick with the regular length Tarett drop links in the front.

Yes, in the rear, go with the longer GT3 versions. The center piece is slightly longer on the GT3 versions, about 1" or so if I remember.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgraded aero and brakes for 996tt