996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Vivid racing ripped me off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 09:19 AM
e8_pack is a jewel in the roughe8_pack is a jewel in the roughe8_pack is a jewel in the roughe8_pack is a jewel in the rough
Vivid racing ripped me off

Just a heads up guys. Dont buy anything from Vivid for your Porsche.

i bought a block from them on here, advertised with new parts. 4.0L stroker kit, liners, pistons, new casings etc.

They also offered me some Inconel head studs to go with them, great i thought, we use inconel at work and it is a stronger material. We also agreed that they would assemble the pistons and liners and screw down some temporary packing to hold it all together - i paid for the workshop hours to have this done.

When i received the engine (months later, they were late). Nothing has been assembled other than the new studs.

I found the liners were also rusty - ok, not the end of the world and it will clean off - but they rusted very very specifically. Only 2 liners were rusty, which i am told is typical of used liners where the water enters the cylinder jacket. i informed Vivid right away and the denied it - but ok, it can be cleaned off, i will continue.

I got some cash back for the work that hadn't been done but they charged me for the fitting of the studs - bit cheeky i thought but never mind.

So i used the cash to buy a clutch with specific instructions to make sure the plate was sprung - it arrived solid. At this point i'm still building up parts for my build. Another strike.

I work offshore so only spend a short while at home, so months pass between access to my garage and parts.

I come to gap the rings and notice the liners have dinks and marks in the top flange - where the gasket seals. I realsie this is a big problem so i check the pics they sent when i was buying the parts - the marks can be clearly seen.

No one can machine these cylinders and they are also bored to match the pistons at 102mm. i ask Vivid to replace them - they go back to Darton.

Darton say deck the block, vivid advise me this. i go back to Darton to tell thm this is a turbo, it is not possible, he asks me if i bought these from Vivid which i did, he then says the last time Vivid bought liners was 2 years ago and they were drop shipped to a customer - they were also incorrectly stored outside of the wax paper, so they are not new parts.

Vivid goes back and forth with Darton and they (Vivid) eventually say this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I
Sorry I'm not disputing the fact that the sleeves had marks when they arrived. I'm saying that is how we got them from Darton. I talked to them and since they were purchased 18 months ago they won't exchange them.

I can sell more at cost but that is the best I can do. Again you saw the marks from the start. Not sure why it was an issue much later.

R
Vivid Racing
P: 480.966.3040
"To Exceed our customers expectations through continuous improvement and customer satisfaction"

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2016 12:44 PM
To: RR
Subject: RE: Fw: 996 forged engine

Hello R

You've completely missed the point about the ARP. They were sold to me as inconel. I did not make the request, they were offered as new additional items. They are not inconel, but standard material. It is for that reason I want a refund.

I refute your claim regarding damage not caused buy yourselves. Leo sent me a picture of the liner's with my name on it, I forwarded that to you last week, the marks can be clearly seen. It is for that reason I want them replaced.

Much time has passed, I have been pursuing this claim for a good 6 months.

I
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I
Sorry for the response taking almost a week. I had to dig through past invoices notes etc.

Regarding the sleeves I'm sorry the parts were sold as is. No damage had occurred on our end. In 4/15 last year we had credited you for the motor work that was not completed (assembly). Nothing was mentioned about sleeves at this time. I can get replacements however they are $190 each (my cost).

Regarding the arp studs (204-4210) I'm not sure what can be done, they were purchased and installed in the block as you requested back in Nov 14. I understand there was terminology that was incorrect but it has been 18 months. You had tons of time to review the invoice etc. I believe you only want to exchange them because you sourced 12mm studs to use instead.

I am very sorry that you are unhappy with the transaction that took place but you basically were buying a clearance item and unfortunately much time has past.

R
Vivid Racing
P: 480.966.3040 X:227
"To Exceed our customers expectations through continuous improvement and customer satisfaction"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The clutch which was rasied the moment i got it has still not been changed.
The ARP studs were not inconel - they dont even make inconel.
The sleeves were damaged before i received them and they wont change them
The block is oozing silicone at the seams and needs opening anyway

In short, a bad experience.

hope no one has to go through the same.

Now sourcing LA Liners.

More emails if anyone is interested:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
S
Tue 19/01/2016 20:21

Hello I
I have reviewed your images with our Operations Manager who is more familiar with these items with his past experience building Porsche motors. These sleeves are an untreated bare steel, handling these parts with your bare hands or storing these in any humid area would potentially cause surface rust like you have now. These 100% have not been installed and the sleeve can be rehabbed with a clean rag, brake cleaner, and we would recommend these stored in an oil coating to prevent any further rust. Upon installation the cleaned and lubed sleeve should prove to have no issues at all.

-S

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, December 21, 2015 12:11pm
To: Vivid
Subject: Re: 996tt

Hi S
If you see below Leo's original comments regarding the liners below. I have enclosed the pics from when I received them and some taken last week with Dink's in the sealing area. Also pics sent to me before I bought them with my name on, you can see some of the Dink's if you look carefully Also there are what look to be the outline of the head gasket on one of them.
I can probably get rid of the rust but I can't do anything with the damage in the gasket sealing areas.
Thanks
I
Sent from my Cyanogen phone

On 6 Mar 2015 11:35 am, (me)
>
> On 23 Feb 2015 18:10, L
> Hi (me)
>
> The parts that were sent with the block are all new. They have been sitting in the shop for a long time but I assure you there were never used. I unfortunately don't have any documents for it since it was build before I even joined the company. I do know the oil pump had to be modified to create room for the 4.0 stroker and all of our customer with a 4.0 kit did the same.
>
> How much power are you looking to be running? That will help me figure out what Clutch you need.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> L
> Vivid Racing
> Tel: 480-966-3040
> Web: www.vividracing.com

>
>
> Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 00:23:02 -0700
> Subject: RE: 996 forged engine
> From: l
> To: i
>
> I
>
> Just like promised, I took a few pictures with my cellphone and I put your name on a sticky note to show that all the pictures are up to date. The block is in perfect condition and all the parts are brand new. If I had a 996tt myself this would be going into my car but the wife wont allow such thing. I do recommend getting the upgraded bolts just to get it all done right the first time. I attached the pictures to this email.
>
> Just to break down the numbers again:
> 10k for block
> 930 for shipping
> Will claim package as a boxer engine for you at $2500 (I can take the ARP parts out of the box and put it into another unmarked box for you)
>
> Optional
> 850 for ARP Inconel
>
> Total: $11780 (with ARP Inconel bolts) Without its $10930
>
>
> Sincerely,
>
> L
> Vivid Racing
> Tel: 480-966-3040 ext 246
> Web: www.vividracing.com

>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: "I
> Sent: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 2:25pm
> To: @vividracing.com
> Subject: RE: 996 forged engine
>
>
> Hi L
> I want the block but I need some assurances as I've been stung way to many times in the past, I've not had much luck with cars and engines so I'm more cautious these days. Too good to be true deals rarely turn out so for me, so hopefully this will be the one where it actually works out.
> If you can just confirm the head stud's pictured are uprated, as it will just add to the cost if not because as you know, they are a must on high horsepower mezgers. They surely must make up some of the rest of the 3k of parts not listed, then we can get this engine out your way and finish the deal.
> The shipping cost is also added to the duty payment, so I might get stung here and still find myself buying parts to finish it, so I hope you understand where I'm at.
> Let me know the final shipping cost you come up with. Do you have apx weights and dimensions because I might yet be able to arrange pickup from here.
> Cheers, I

Old 05-09-2016, 10:36 AM
brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear this. It sucks for both parties when this stuff happens. I always had great luck with Vivid a couple years ago. Dan was very helpful. I hope middle ground can be reached!

Old 05-09-2016, 11:05 AM
e8_pack is a jewel in the roughe8_pack is a jewel in the roughe8_pack is a jewel in the roughe8_pack is a jewel in the rough
Vivid won't replace and I can't afford to spend anymore with them.

This was the reply from Darton:

Sent: 09 March 2016 20:37
To: I
Subject: RE: FW: RE: FW: SURFACE RUST

I,

You would need to contact Vivid about having them replaced. The last time they purchased those was 2 years ago and they were drop shipped to a customer. They may have been returned to them so there is no telling what happened between then to now. They may have been removed from the package and the lubricant to keep them clean was removed. They may have also been dropped somewhere within that time.

We could offer you a discount for some replacements but we would not replace them at no charge.

Let me know what you would like to do.

Thanx,

J

Darton International Inc
2380 Camino Vida Roble Bldg. K
Carlsbad, Ca. 92011
760-603-9895
760-603-9629 Fax
www.dartonsleeves.com

Old 05-09-2016, 11:09 AM

Old 05-09-2016, 11:48 AM
0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute0396 has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear...yes, the sealing surface would be an area of concern. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:38 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
This thread will be locked soon. IB does not like it when you call out their paying vendors.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:50 PM
johnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud ofjohnny.dangerous has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Gunther
This thread will be locked soon. IB does not like it when you call out their paying vendors.
Thats fair ..............................not

Old 05-09-2016, 12:52 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear, hope it gets resolved. They post about 100 times a day, hopefully they are reaching out for a quick resolution.

Good luck.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:10 PM
levinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to beholdlevinsje is a splendid one to behold
Very sorry to hear about this.
Several months ago I ordered some Recaro sport topline seats from them and all went fine.
They had to be special ordered from Recaro and the communication went very well until I received the seats.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:16 PM
Experiences are usually good when a problem is not encountered. It's how a vendor treats you when one occurs becomes the measure of them.

They admit the liners were damaged when they sold them to me but won't replace them.

Their vendor (darton) states vivid don't hold stock, so they are infact second hand sold to me as new. I can't quite get my head round it.

Is OK to ship defect parts to your customer, then admonish responsibility by blaming your vendor?

Old 05-09-2016, 01:22 PM
It was advertised on 6 speed!

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...gine-sale.html

See the silicone oozing out. Funny how you don't see it in the pics and no one commented either. So I'm not there only one, nuts missing etc..

Old 05-09-2016, 01:28 PM
GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !GT3Fan24 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by e8_pack
Experiences are usually good when a problem is not encountered. It's how a vendor treats you when one occurs becomes the measure of them.
Totally a true statement. Anyone can get in the business and sell stuff, its the customer service when dealing with adversity that makes a company great. Thats why Nordstrom has been so succesful. It isn't their high prices that attract people, thats for sure. Its how they handle customers and customer complaints.

Again good luck.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:36 PM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
so it looks like they shipped to you defected parts, and they went back and forth with emails, time went by, and they can't do anything, what a rip-off I did order few things from them, not anymore. thanks for heads-up.

Last edited by MadWhip; 05-09-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:10 PM
TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !TabooPc Is a GOD !
Vivid has always been a sketchy company imo... They just seem to be dishonest.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:45 PM
white out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to beholdwhite out is a splendid one to behold
Over a decade ago, when I was sponsored by Vivid, they sold me some Vivid modified OEM injectors (before Agency Power was a thing.) One of the injectors was improperly modified, stuck open and hydrolocked a cylinder with fuel. Needless to say, they did nothing and I rebuilt the motor on my own dime.

It's amazing what a nice website can do, glosses over all the people that have been screwed by Vivid.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.