996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Function First Shift Right Solution

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 10:13 AM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Thumbs up Function First Shift Right Solution

So tonight I installed Function Firsts Shift Right Solution and what a difference over my Schnell Short Shifter all the rattles the shifter made are gone and the gear changes have rifle bolt accuracy.

Wish I had done it on Saturday then the twit in the GTR at the track on Sunday wouldn't of had any chance as I wouldn't of missed 3rd gear

The install isn't hard but neither is it easy only because this shift upgrade is so well made and the tolerances so minute its a bit tricky to install buy still only takes a couple of hours.

Here are some pics of the install.

First remove the centre console and the oem shift cradle from the car if you have never done this, instructions come with the kit.

Next remove shifter from cradle as you can see I already had a schnell short shifter. Thats the shift right solution in the plastic bag on the left.

Next remove this white piece the oem shifter yoke by cutting the tabs with a stanley knife. This will be replaced by a metal shifter yoke with a roller bearing.

This is the white plastic shifter yoke that was just removed

Reading Lukas instructions, and make sure you read them as its not as easy as you think its going to be. As I just found out

Next install shifter back into crade and fit into shifter yoke, I didnt do this because I didnt read the instructions instead i fitted the shifter bushings into the cradle before fitting the shifter. Dont do this as you will have to remove the bushings which is very hard as they are a very tight fit. I found WD40 and a rubber mallet was the best way to fit the bushings.

[IMG]https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.6speedonline.com-vbulletin/2000x1124/80-20160627_184123_1884fae9efd346da4127223e8c81ffdd26 bc098d.jpg[/IM

The kit comes with circlips used to hold the shifter bushings in place, I forgot to put the circlips on the shifter before fitting to the cradle. Even if I hadnt forgotten, I would of found it almost impossible to keep the circlips on the shifter while fitted to the yoke and then fitting the bushings. Luckily the schnell shifter came with clips that could be fitted after fitting the bushings. These clips are pictured below alongside the circluip that comes with the kit. I will suggest Luka uses this type of clip in futyre kits as it makes things so much easier.

Now its time to bolt the rifle bolt action shifter back into the car and reconnect the shift cables etc.

Refit the centre console.

My new rifle bolt action extended height short shifter could not be happier no more annoying rattles from my shifter and smooth slick perfect shifts every time.

All installed in a few hours with a few beers along the way

This is the second upgrade I have purchased from Luka and Function First the first being the console riser kit, easily two of the best mods Ive done.

If your sick of the sick of the sloppy shifter or want the centre console in the position it should of been from the start, check out Function First the products fit perfectly and are of a quality far above OEM.

Last edited by timccloud; 06-27-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:28 AM
pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !pteck Is a GOD !
Looks good. Do you have the function first kit paired with a B&M shifter?

Old 06-27-2016, 12:18 PM
timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !timccloud Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pteck
Looks good. Do you have the function first kit paired with a B&M shifter?
Schnell Shifter

Old 06-27-2016, 12:27 PM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
added rep points :-) Thanks for taking the time to post detailed instructions. I wish i had the patience to do that to with all the stuff i have installed.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by awdbiturbo1
added rep points :-) Thanks for taking the time to post detailed instructions. I wish i had the patience to do that to with all the stuff i have installed.
I know what you mean, thanks for the reps.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:37 AM
JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !JimTT Is a GOD !
Congrats Tim, great job. You seem to have a lot of patients.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:00 AM
Thanks Jimbo I only have patience because I now have so much time on my hands.

You would love this shifter upgrade the shifts are so precise.