996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Considering going back to stock and sell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 04:25 AM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
Considering going back to stock and sell

What do you think guys, should I sell my car modded as is or just go back to stock first?

I have mild built engine+mods(turbos,intake,ICs,etc)+fuel system+ECU tune that can just exchange with stock one, build 997gt2rs trans+brand new gt2rs clutch and flywheel etc

And a lot of mods that can be removed from the car or let there - roll cage, gt3 wheels, wavetrack, suspension components, meth kit, etc..., I feel going through stock might be the better idea, what is your opinion?

Old 09-28-2016, 06:13 AM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
in the us a clean documented stock car will always hold its value. mods are typically sold at approx .50 on the dollar. if you have all the parts to go back to stock and want to either do the labvor yourself or eat the transfer costs stock is better. if not be prepared to give a lot of the cost of the mods away when selling.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:13 AM
Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !Jeanmarcboilard Is a GOD !
I can't imagine someone wanting a stock car being ok with a previously modified and returned to stock car. If they're not part of the community then they might not know but a quick search brings up all your posts. If you have a very well built car, you might be able to find the right buyer who would want to build it like that anyways and save them some money and effort.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:42 PM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Fadi, please let us know (or just PM me) how your season has went so far and what could be your plans? Would like to know why are you considering selling the car? If you are becoming serious circuit guy changing/upgrading the car could be a good idea.. The only problem is the relatively low value of our cars..

Old 09-28-2016, 04:37 PM
Fadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond reputeFadi has a reputation beyond repute
I got scared of this car, managed to cook the brakes using slicks... was considering either to make it a dedicated race car - make it lighter, put bigger brakes, better suspension, etc (not sure the best idea) or sell it and get another Pcar more suitable for track. I own also an old E36 BMW racecar - gutted, full cage etc and a "street" 1000whp gtr.

The problem with modded 996tt, as you said, is we are never going to get too much over stock 996tt value, so guess the only way is to try to exchange somehow the built engine,trans, suspension, etc for stock ones, or keep those and just sell some of the parts etc or find another 996tt and exchange engines and setups, sell the stock one and build the other one to a light racecar with fiber parts. Gtr times on track are close on MPSS to 996tt on Cup2 (2-3seconds difference or so on 2min track, so having same tires might be quite the same times imo) but the driving is so different...I really like what Porsche built for us

Old 09-30-2016, 11:42 AM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Fadi
I got scared of this car, managed to cook the brakes using slicks... was considering either to make it a dedicated race car - make it lighter, put bigger brakes, better suspension, etc (not sure the best idea) or sell it and get another Pcar more suitable for track. I own also an old E36 BMW racecar - gutted, full cage etc and a "street" 1000whp gtr.

The problem with modded 996tt, as you said, is we are never going to get too much over stock 996tt value, so guess the only way is to try to exchange somehow the built engine,trans, suspension, etc for stock ones, or keep those and just sell some of the parts etc or find another 996tt and exchange engines and setups, sell the stock one and build the other one to a light racecar with fiber parts. Gtr times on track are close on MPSS to 996tt on Cup2 (2-3seconds difference or so on 2min track, so having same tires might be quite the same times imo) but the driving is so different...I really like what Porsche built for us
I totally hear you.

If you are wise, you get a GT3/Cup car for track instead of building a monster 996TT. Whatever the forum gurus tell, Turbo is quite expensive to run compared to anything...so many inferior parts compared to GT/Cups and more power to get you in trouble. Crashing is not rare with these cars if you are really going for the impressive lap times.

But indeed, the attractiveness of Turbo is that it is very fast with relatively low initial investment...that's why I have kept driving and spending with my car the past 10 years....Has been one expensive Turbo with 10 years of modding, maintenance and lot of track miles.

Old 09-30-2016, 03:45 PM
stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !stevemfr Is a GOD !
The slope is just as slippery on the GT3 side...

Most of the people I know who are seriously tracking their GT3's are doing everything we consider to be good for our cars: suspension-replace, brakes-replace, motor-modified. Plus all the little things, like aero over and under the car, etc, etc.Once you get to that point there is virtually no difference to our cars anymore. The 2 big differences to our cars is that a GT3 works on track very well right out of the box and the lack of any lag whatsoever.

Kaizu, with a GT3 you'd have spent just as much and been 30 seconds slower around the Nürburgring.

Fadi, you didn't explain why the car scared you? If you are absolutely set on selling and going back to stock, PM me. There may be some parts we can swap.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:49 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
If I bought a car not knowing it had a ton or mods and the snot beat out if the short block I'd be pissed. People want stock because they don't want stuff messed with. Stock is all I will buy and do things myself, because let's face it...85% of things done is half ***.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:13 PM
For sure will tell that the car was modded to the next owner, we dont even have a huge market here, so we know each other more or less, not trying to hide anything, but looking to get back some money from the $$$$ investment. My setup was very reliable and used only good quality parts or exchanged them when find them poor quality, but I do agree with you regarding the 85%..

Old 10-03-2016, 11:02 AM
REDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud of
Might as well try selling it modded first. If you can't get the price you want, then look into selling mods separately. Sounds like you will have a lot of labor cost involved in returning to stock.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:31 AM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
+1, if you have a little time it sounds like this would be worth a shot. I know we usually count all labor at $0 when we sell but it really doesn't cost $0 even if we do it ourselves. Here you would be eating labor to install and to uninstall. Sounds like a very well sorted car. Good luck!

Originally Posted by REDLINER911
Might as well try selling it modded first. If you can't get the price you want, then look into selling mods separately. Sounds like you will have a lot of labor cost involved in returning to stock.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:38 AM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Your best chance is selling it to someone you know. If you run around with some car guys, a friend or acquaintance must be familiar with your car and may be interested in purchasing it. I sold my last Porsche to a guy I knew. He was actually a customer of mine and knew how I care for my stuff. He willingly paid me high book, more than I could have hoped to get when we were coming out of recession in '09.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:09 AM
So....for now ...decided to keep it but as 99% race car and 1% street

Car weighted 1500kg with full tank of gas RWD, considering to do the following:

- add better brakes, considering OEM 997 gt3rs brakes and new 997 pump
- add some over fenders so being able to run wider tires:
1. semi slick - something like 275/335 hoosier/r888r maybe
2. slick pirelli 265-285f and 325r
Problem is I would like to try again AWD as might use the car for hillclimb events too but wondering if the AWD will work ok if front tire might be just a bit smaller
rims will be 10/13J probably or at least 9/12J

- remove almost all interior, carpets etc
- remove almost all of the stereo if not all
- remove airbags
- remove door interior and do custom light panels
- ??? carbon/fiber frunk, lightweight battery
- put back straight pipes instead of 2.5" cargraphic exhaust
- maybe use lexane rear windows

- keep A/C ??? still have to make up my mind if loosing 20kg will worth the lack of comfort
- add full cage? (now half cage)

Bottom line, is AWD going to be such a big problem for track? I know car will understeer more, but in the end will be safer I guess and will really help for hillclimb or poor grip track days

Are there any ways to put another final ratio for our cars? I will change anyway the Wavetrack for something more track oriented and this might be an option, or just do regearing, I run now 1-3 gt2rs and 4-6 stock 996tt, one option might be to put back
1st 996tt (shorter)
2nd 996tt (shorter)
3rd 997gt2 (stronger)
4th - custom
5th custom
6th - oem 5th 996tt

would this work?

Old 10-18-2016, 02:04 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fadi
So....for now ...decided to keep it but as 99% race car and 1% street

Car weighted 1500kg with full tank of gas RWD, considering to do the following:

- add better brakes, considering OEM 997 gt3rs brakes and new 997 pump
- add some over fenders so being able to run wider tires:
1. semi slick - something like 275/335 hoosier/r888r maybe
2. slick pirelli 265-285f and 325r
Problem is I would like to try again AWD as might use the car for hillclimb events too but wondering if the AWD will work ok if front tire might be just a bit smaller
rims will be 10/13J probably or at least 9/12J

- remove almost all interior, carpets etc
- remove almost all of the stereo if not all
- remove airbags
- remove door interior and do custom light panels
- ??? carbon/fiber frunk, lightweight battery
- put back straight pipes instead of 2.5" cargraphic exhaust
- maybe use lexane rear windows

- keep A/C ??? still have to make up my mind if loosing 20kg will worth the lack of comfort
- add full cage? (now half cage)

Bottom line, is AWD going to be such a big problem for track? I know car will understeer more, but in the end will be safer I guess and will really help for hillclimb or poor grip track days

Are there any ways to put another final ratio for our cars? I will change anyway the Wavetrack for something more track oriented and this might be an option, or just do regearing, I run now 1-3 gt2rs and 4-6 stock 996tt, one option might be to put back
1st 996tt (shorter)
2nd 996tt (shorter)
3rd 997gt2 (stronger)
4th - custom
5th custom
6th - oem 5th 996tt

would this work?
Safety Devices has a good cage that you can weld in plates and bolt the rest. Much easier to go back to stock, it's what I'm running. Or the bolt in Porsche cage which is super expensive.

What fluid did you have when you boiled your brakes? I like Motul 660 (even over SRF), with PFC Pads. Add some cooling ducts (both through the radiator shroud and the control arm snap on) and the stock brakes should work, but if not, then upgrade to 6 pistons from a 996 GT3 or GT2. If you overheat those, you are riding the brakes too much.

AWD would be better for hillclimb almost certainly. I have some gutted doors if you want to buy them and keep yours in tact. Some things are expensive to do and hard to undo.

Straight Pipes, 4lb Shorai Battery, race seat, Doors, CF hood and you are looking at substantial weight savings.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:58 PM
I had Castrol SRF - but not quite fresh to be honest... maybe the 3rd-4th track event and 6 months old or so, Carbotech XP20 pads, girodisc 350mm F+R, stock 996tt red calipers..

brakes were cooked in the front, rears still looked good

You still think AWD to be better for track? Yes, pls PM me details regarding the doors

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering going back to stock and sell