996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New owner of a 996TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 03:35 PM
DOC_Race is an unknown quantity at this point
New owner of a 996TT

Hello guys,

I wanted to introduce myself as one of your newest members and owner of a 996 twin turbo. I picked up this 2001 with 60K mi completely stock, even has factory brake pads I flew 2000 miles to see it and had her trailered home. There were a few TT local to me but none were red and stock. This was the one!

I build turbo parts mostly for Supra's GTR's, and BMW's but I bought this TT as a personal weekend car. First off this car feels amazing from the factory. I didn't expect 420hp to feel so fast, you can definitely get in trouble real quick. As with any car you get comfortable with it and now looking for more.

These next couple of months I will be performing very tasteful mods, don't worry I will not be destroying this car. I have a set of custom sized Precision billet turbos on order that I plan to pair up with a set of manifolds and exhaust system I'll be fabricating. This setup should have stock spool characteristics but with twice the hp capabilities.

First up though I will be fabricating a dual 3" exhaust system using 4 straight through race mufflers. I will have detailed pics and info on this later this week.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:23 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
great looking car. if your not aware rods and studs are the weak link when building power and torque in these cars. address those and you have 1000 hp within your grasp with fueling clutch turbos and tuning.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:57 PM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
Nice looking car! Congrats.

Seems quite a few folks underestimate the performance of these cars stock. I bought mine stone stock as well and was really surprised by the overall performance...Had big plans for the car but for now Im happy with coil overs/alignment/exhaust. I live vicariously through the amazing builds on here though

Old 09-28-2016, 10:56 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Stock manifolds support pretty high power. Beware of drone when you build that exhaust, it can be head splittingly awful!

Old 09-29-2016, 04:50 AM
BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !BauerR Is a GOD !
If this isn't a daily driver, 4 mufflers is two too many. Hell, 4 is too many.

Welcome!

Old 09-29-2016, 05:25 AM
Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !Steve Jarvis Is a GOD !
Welcome to the club. Stock power is definitely more than sufficient, but the handling can be waaaaaayyyyyyy better than stock.

Later, Steve

Old 09-29-2016, 07:29 AM
mpevo8 is a jewel in the roughmpevo8 is a jewel in the roughmpevo8 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by BauerR
If this isn't a daily driver, 4 mufflers is two too many. Hell, 4 is too many.

Welcome!
I agree ! 3" straight x-pipe all the way.

Congrats on the car. Wasting no time modding !

Old 09-29-2016, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the input guys. The mufflers I am using are designed for lightweight applications so it's going to cut a lot of weight. I'm concerned about how loud its going to be with it being a straight throgh design exhaust.

As BLKMGK mentioned about the drone I'll be adding a couple anti-drone tubes to hopefully keep this car sounding good at all rpms.

Here are a couple pictures of the X-pipe I made. Mufflers will be in today.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	File Sep 29, 9 38 48 AM.jpeg
Views:	27
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	460190   Click image for larger version

Name:	File Sep 29, 9 52 14 AM.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	460191  
Old 09-29-2016, 10:56 AM
LilRichard is a splendid one to beholdLilRichard is a splendid one to beholdLilRichard is a splendid one to beholdLilRichard is a splendid one to beholdLilRichard is a splendid one to beholdLilRichard is a splendid one to behold
Damn dude, nice work!

Old 09-29-2016, 01:20 PM
mpevo8 is a jewel in the roughmpevo8 is a jewel in the roughmpevo8 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DOC_Race
Thanks for the input guys. The mufflers I am using are designed for lightweight applications so it's going to cut a lot of weight. I'm concerned about how loud its going to be with it being a straight throgh design exhaust.

As BLKMGK mentioned about the drone I'll be adding a couple anti-drone tubes to hopefully keep this car sounding good at all rpms.

nice welds! similar to my setup but i was lazy and bought a "ready made" x pipe.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:25 PM
Mit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant futureMit_Boost has a brilliant future
Doc Race on the P-car platform, this is great. Expect lots of incredibly high quality exhaust/header parts being available in the near future. Maybe even an intake manifold if you push it that hard

Old 09-29-2016, 01:27 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DOC_Race

that x creates a good bitn of backpressure due to the exhaust sides crashing into each other. try a window to equalize the sides instead

Old 09-29-2016, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
that x creates a good bitn of backpressure due to the exhaust sides crashing into each other. try a window to equalize the sides instead
Noted for next time.

Originally Posted by mpevo8
nice welds! similar to my setup but i was lazy and bought a "ready made" x pipe.
Looks very nice. How loud was it without any mufflers?

Originally Posted by Mit_Boost
Doc Race on the P-car platform, this is great. Expect lots of incredibly high quality exhaust/header parts being available in the near future. Maybe even an intake manifold if you push it that hard
I wish I could say I bought this car to produce parts but as of now this is just my weekend car that I'll be fabricating one-off parts on.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:16 PM
I've never been so happy to see mufflers Got them tacked up and so far we are at 9lbs.

Old 09-29-2016, 03:51 PM
Banned
2 to many!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New owner of a 996TT