996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

800whp winter project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 06:04 AM
krikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud of
In the process of making shopping list with OEM parts needed when putting the engine together.
Was surprised to find that Porsche doesnt suggest renewing the main bolts..
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  91.4 KB
Wouldnt you guys renew these?

Old 12-15-2016, 07:42 AM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by krikra
will probably use standard headers with the SRM7163 setup, it is proven at much higher hp level than my goals..
But will probably be porting them, looks like just removing most of the inside welds will open up a lot..
What have you guys running high hp on standard headers done? ported?
welded outside to compensate for removing inside welds..?
here are a few pics from when I ported my headers for ya. Also through a pic of a ported turbine housing in for ya.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:47 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
I did not replace them. Careful not to spin those bolts when tightening. Put a little oil on the seals that go with it. You don't want to tear the seal or the oil could leak out and overheat a bearing. The seals in the EBS kit seem better quality than the red ones that came out, hopefully you have those too.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:56 AM
krikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud ofkrikra has much to be proud of
Thanks Flewis,

Did you weld on the outside? To compensate for the inside welding being removed.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
I did not replace them. Careful not to spin those bolts when tightening. Put a little oil on the seals that go with it. You don't want to tear the seal or the oil could leak out and overheat a bearing. The seals in the EBS kit seem better quality than the red ones that came out, hopefully you have those too.
Thanks,
Will be carefull not to spin.
I am buying all seals, gaskets, bolts, nuts from FVD, so we will receive oem parts.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:05 AM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
nice thread, I want to see the outcome - subbed

Old 12-15-2016, 08:14 AM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
You are supposed to get new bolts that tighten the cams to the sprockets, I just used my old ones however. I doubt it will be a problem.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:24 AM
The crank pulley needs a new bolt also if you took it off. Those a known to fail and spin the pulley so definitely replace that.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:24 AM
Those cam sprocket bolts are on my shopping list.
It is a rather time consuming job to gather all the part numbers that is needed for the rebuild..
Does any of you guys have a list containing all the part # needed for rebuild? (according to Porsche recommendations)
Not so much thinkning about the gaskets and seals because FVD has put together a complete gasket kit.
But there is rather many bolts, nuts, washers and the like so if one of you guys has a list it would be much appreciated. Then I can start from there and add if anything more I want to change.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:58 AM
flewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond reputeflewis763 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Flewis,

Did you weld on the outside? To compensate for the inside welding being removed.
no I didn't. I don't see a need to. Just have to not quite port all the may through the weld. Lots of what you see opened up is on the flange. Also the stock manifolds are dual walled.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:02 PM
I didn't replace any bolts or nuts except for the crank pulley. My kit came with new washers for the perimeter bolts. You will need:
main bearings
rod bearings
nose bearing
IMS bearings
cam bolts
crank bolt
Loctite 574
valve cover sealant I used Yama bond 4
anaerobic sealant with activator spray I used Permatex
timing chains
​red Loctite on crank pulley bolt

Old 12-15-2016, 02:55 PM
Banned
996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute
Those cam sprocket bolts are on my shopping list.
It is a rather time consuming job to gather all the part numbers that is needed for the rebuild..
Does any of you guys have a list containing all the part # needed for rebuild? (according to Porsche recommendations)
Not so much thinkning about the gaskets and seals because FVD has put together a complete gasket kit.
But there is rather many bolts, nuts, washers and the like so if one of you guys has a list it would be much appreciated. Then I can start from there and add if anything more I want to change.
I would start ordering your fuel system from SRM, big injectors, fuel rails. That alone will cost 5k. Plus alot of labor not fun. Also You need a FPR or hobbs switch to run the second pump.

Then build your trans It will run 6k and up with labor. Don't wait on the trans i did and wasn't smart on my end.

Last edited by 996tt550hp; 12-27-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:45 PM
greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !greekc6 Is a GOD !
If your a hp junkie knowing your going to want more power like myself. if your going to rip appart the motor do everything possible so your not gonna rip apart the motor 10 months later chasing more power and more effeciency.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:17 AM
Putting together list of the special sealants I need when putting together the engine:

Cylinder headgasket - Factory MLS gasket with Permatex copper spray a gasket on both sides..
Cylinder base gasket - Factory single layer gasket with Permatex copper spray a gasket on both sides..
Engine Case - Loctite 574
Oil cooler / heat exchanger - Anaerobic sealant, Permatex with activator spray? (what type??)
Valve covers - Silicone dreibond or Yamabond 4

Please comment or let me know if I have forgotten something..

Old 01-11-2017, 10:28 AM
Putting together list of the special sealants I need when putting together the engine:

Cylinder headgasket - Factory MLS gasket with Permatex copper spray a gasket on both sides..
Cylinder base gasket - Factory single layer gasket with Permatex copper spray a gasket on both sides..
Engine Case - Loctite 574
Oil cooler / heat exchanger - Anaerobic sealant, Permatex with activator spray? (what type??)
Valve covers - Silicone dreibond or Yamabond 4

Please comment or let me know if I have forgotten something..
No do not put copper spray on the head gasket. Just get that good and clean and install the MLS head gasket. I put the copper spray on my base gasket but I cannot confirm to you if it works as I am a few weeks out from running my engine, it was my own idea. I've heard of people using a fine coat of 574 for this as well.

For the oil filter bracket I used this: https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...-gasket-maker/

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.