996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

How many miles from your original stock clutch?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:37 AM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
How many miles from your original stock clutch?

I'm at 21k and starting to feel some slip during full acceleration, right after gear changes. I don't have any considerable "power adders", just updated OEM parts: plugs/coilpacks/clutch accumulator plus an aftermarket x-pipe exhaust... was considering a tune but I guess a Sachs 2.5 w/ DMFW is next instead... just curious what kind of miles you guys got out of your stock clutches before they started to show signs of letting go.

Thanks in advance!

Forgot to mention they are all street miles. No track time.

Last edited by Stebo; 01-16-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:01 AM
Highlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond reputeHighlander has a reputation beyond repute
36k on my car and I'm experiencing clutch slip at WOT. Time for a new one!
I have an FVD Tune, but otherwise stock.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:15 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
65K, bought it with 55K on it. It's original, but the tune i have on it now may be eating away. Have a new clutch ready to go in when the day comes.

This will be the first car ive had to replace a clutch on. I put 90K on my last GTO on stock clutch.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:25 AM
bansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to allbansasn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Stebo
I'm at 21k and starting to feel some slip during full acceleration, right after gear changes. I don't have any considerable "power adders", just updated OEM parts: plugs/coilpacks/clutch accumulator plus an aftermarket x-pipe exhaust... was considering a tune but I guess a Sachs 2.5 w/ DMFW is next instead... just curious what kind of miles you guys got out of your stock clutches before they started to show signs of letting go.

Thanks in advance!

Mine is slipping when rev passed 3k rpm 2nd through 6th. OEM clutch and it's at 80k mile.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:57 PM
rickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud ofrickw30 has much to be proud of
22,262 miles. Slips when coming off clutch at 5k shift plus.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
I upgraded mine around 55k, never had any slipping on the original and I intentionally tested for it. This was on stock tune.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:18 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
100k miles. trans bearings were toast before the clutch was. replaced during the trans drop.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:35 PM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rickw30
22,262 miles. Slips when coming off clutch at 5k shift plus.
Rick, are you on a stock ECU like me?

Old 01-16-2017, 03:30 PM
HardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to allHardHitter is a name known to all
So in summary, if I'm looking for a car with tune + exhaust or greater...find one with an upgraded clutch haha.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:00 PM
For sure!!

Old 01-16-2017, 04:45 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
or not. my car's had 16/24's and other asst bolt ons for at least! 90 of its 138k miles. never an issue. just dont feather the left pedal lol

Old 01-16-2017, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
or not. my car's had 16/24's and other asst bolt ons for at least! 90 of its 138k miles. never an issue. just dont feather the left pedal lol
Wait... I'm not supposed to hold the left pedal down half way the whole time I drive?!? THATS what I've been doing wrong!!

Old 01-16-2017, 05:20 PM
lol. i know i know. i rev match and dont use the clutch either

Old 01-17-2017, 01:43 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Stebo

Thanks in advance!

Clutch life is highly dependent upon type of use and this includes to what degree (if any) the clutch is abused, or misused. (This ignores the rather rare mechanical failure that is generally not the fault of the driver.)

My experience with my 2003 Turbo is the Turbo requires very little RPMs above idle and very little clutch slippage to get the car moving from a dead stop and smoothly, too. (Smooth is important to long clutch life.)

Once moving I can then fully release the clutch pedal and give the engine as much throttle as I want without having to slip the clutch. Tires might slip depending upon how aggressive I am with the gas pedal but the clutch doesn't slip.

At 120K miles when the transmission was out -- for an RMS repair -- the clutch disc showed no measurable wear. This wasn't eyeballed wear either. I measured the disc friction material wear myself with a depth mic as per the factory manual.

Now with 151408 miles the clutch gives no signs of any problems.

As an aside, while I have never seen the clutch in my Boxster the original clutch still works just fine with over 307K miles on it. Like the Turbo, in fact even a bit better in this regard than the Turbo, the Boxster requires very little RPMs above idle and very little clutch slippage to get the car moving.

I managed similar big miles out of my '96 Mustang GT. At approx. 150K miles the clutch went out but it was not the disc or any of the friction components but the throw out bearing that seized. Except for the Mustang the only other time I had any clutch problems was years ago with an '88 Tempo. The clutch went out -- was slipping -- at 18K miles. There was a known problem with these clutches and the clutch was replaced and when I sold the car (traded it in) with nearly 80K miles on it, 62K after the clutch was replaced, the replacement clutch was fine.

Old 01-17-2017, 03:43 PM
FWIW I've been driving stick continuously since before I could drive legally and I'm 33 now. Never had any other car/truck do this at such low miles. I have been through clutches but usually just did them preventatively at approx 85-100k miles while I was in there doing other maintenance items... and they usually needed it. I can't leave well enough alone!!! I know you guys can identify with that.

Granted the p-car drives fine under normal conditions, but if I hammer it, not all of my power is getting down right after I shift and get off the clutch. It definitely gives up grip at the top of the rev range. Its not the tires- no chirps, no traction control lights. My engine is overpowering my clutch. I know that smell from my teenage years and from years of towing and off-roading in a stick truck.

I'm no Kimi Raikkonen (my personal favorite driver of all time!), but I am familiar with what's good and bad for a clutch. The fact that I am experiencing this is strange to me and that's why I am reaching out to see if it has happened to others. So far, it seems like only one other member has spoken up about a similar situation.

Bottom line: I am not going to blame this on my driving style.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.