996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

help me 2002 (45000miles) vs 2004 x50 (92000miles)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 01:06 PM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
Nice! Interested in seeing what you find. Good luck.

Originally Posted by uwrasta993
It will be thoroughly checked out and driven next week. It's in the shop right now having warranty work. 3 owners clean carfax and yes there are records from day 1. We will see how it pans out.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:18 PM
uwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 911mhawk
Drive it them PPI if you want it.
I'll take your tip
cleaned your throttle body today. get ready to slap down the cash) I even installed a new stereo and back up camera

Old 02-05-2017, 12:32 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
i don't get what's alarming about that recent parts replacement list? how old are these cars again, anyway!?

fuel pumps can go at ANY time, and its usually the fuel LINE that ruptures and replacing the whole pump is just what "we" do.

plugs/coils? a clutch at 82k?! these are friggin wear/maintenance items. not red flags. oil sender units? and fpr?! another big wow.

the only thing i'd be in the least concerned about would be lifters. all else is.. whatever

maybe there is just too much bph in the water these days?! because folks sure seem to scare easy lol
Well, all I have to go on is my experience with my 2003 Turbo with now over 151K miles.

While the car is "old" it is on its original fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and still has its original clutch.

The plugs get replaced every so often. They are as you say wear items. The coils have been replaced once and even though there were no problems associated with the coils the engine ran noticeably better afterwards. At some point coils too are wear items. But in my car's case they lasted to over 140K miles.

O2 sensors were replaced at 132K miles after one started triggering a CEL. The water pump and RMS also had to be replaced but way after 92K miles in fact around the 120K mile mark.

A lifter replacement is often (always?) prompted by misfires that are found to *not* be related to something else, like plugs, coils, fuel supply/fuel pressure issues.

The car may be ok but I'd have to check it out *after* the lifter replacement to make sure it didn't manifest any noises/misfires or other problems which would suggest then the problem still exists.

And I'd want the lifters to be replaced by a qualified shop/dealer and with a transferrable warranty.

Last edited by Macster; 02-05-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:17 PM
uwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud ofuwrasta has much to be proud of
I agree I will definitely make sure that I'm covered in that front if I decide to purchase. I'm just psyched that I got someone holding and x50 for me that I might be able to get for 30 grand. Everything will be checked thoroughly. Ind I wanna drive it for 100 miles or so. He's pretty accommodating so we shall see.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:26 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Macster
Well, all I have to go on is my experience with my 2003 Turbo with now over 151K miles.

While the car is "old" it is on its original fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and still has its original clutch.

The plugs get replaced every so often. They are as you say wear items. The coils have been replaced once and even though there were no problems associated with the coils the engine ran noticeably better afterwards. At some point coils too are wear items. But in my car's case they lasted to over 140K miles.

O2 sensors were replaced at 132K miles after one started triggering a CEL. The water pump and RMS also had to be replaced but way after 92K miles in fact around the 120K mile mark.

A lifter replacement is often (always?) prompted by misfires that are found to *not* be related to something else, like plugs, coils, fuel supply/fuel pressure issues.

The car may be ok but I'd have to check it out *after* the lifter replacement to make sure it didn't manifest any noises/misfires or other problems which would suggest then the problem still exists.

And I'd want the lifters to be replaced by a qualified shop/dealer and with a transferrable warranty.
i'm also in the +100k mile club and i've replaced everything on your list in two different tt's, with the exception of the wp. i consider all of those items to be wear items. except the lifters!

knowing what i ( purport and/or pretend ) to know about these cars, i'd say that our pal here is potentially onto a steal. as someone said, a putty knife will remove the badging lol. assuming the new lifters properly lift

i will say though, you may have an even lighter clutch foot than i if you're still on the original clutch. and though i'm sure were both heavy in the loafers mine went 100k also and was worn but ok still, and i only replaced it because i dropped my gearbox.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:33 PM
Clutch and flywheel were replaced at 82000 miles or so.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:38 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
more good news for any potential buyer.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:14 AM
911mhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uwrasta993
cleaned your throttle body today. get ready to slap down the cash) I even installed a new stereo and back up camera
[IMG]
Did you get the 6sp?

Old 02-15-2017, 10:44 AM
It's still at shop. They are finishing repairs. I guess the weather delayed some parts. Was supposed to have Cantrell do ppi this Thursday but likely will be next Thursday. They are supposed to have it buttoned up by end of the week.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:59 AM
zlikezebra is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep them both

I finally decided to upgrade from my 2003 C4 Cab with Tip (48K miles). Getting the tip had always been a compromise (so the wife can drive it too) that has bugged me ever since.

So last month I brought a 2005 TTS Cab home (22K miles) that has the 6 speed (X50, sport clutch, Tubi exhaust etc.) I wanted. Now - I do admit that I paid way more than $30K for my unicorn.

Still I haven't been able to part with the 2003 C4 - ie.., given that I sunk close to $4K in the last 6 months into it (service, cupholder, sun shade, leak, car seat control etc,).

Right now i am trying to convince the wife that she wants to drive it (the car goes so well with your purse, you look so great when the top is down - with moderate success as she really preferred the Cayenne she had as a loaner while the C4 was in the shop.

Long story short - i am keeping the C4 at this stage - to have a car that I can put miles on it - as I am somewhat inhibited to do so with the Turbo S (the curse of having a low mileage car).

Old 02-16-2017, 09:27 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by zlikezebra
I finally decided to upgrade from my 2003 C4 Cab with Tip (48K miles). Getting the tip had always been a compromise (so the wife can drive it too) that has bugged me ever since.

So last month I brought a 2005 TTS Cab home (22K miles) that has the 6 speed (X50, sport clutch, Tubi exhaust etc.) I wanted. Now - I do admit that I paid way more than $30K for my unicorn.

Still I haven't been able to part with the 2003 C4 - ie.., given that I sunk close to $4K in the last 6 months into it (service, cupholder, sun shade, leak, car seat control etc,).

Right now i am trying to convince the wife that she wants to drive it (the car goes so well with your purse, you look so great when the top is down - with moderate success as she really preferred the Cayenne she had as a loaner while the C4 was in the shop.

Long story short - i am keeping the C4 at this stage - to have a car that I can put miles on it - as I am somewhat inhibited to do so with the Turbo S (the curse of having a low mileage car).

Want to get rid of the Tubi exhaust?

Old 02-16-2017, 09:35 AM
Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by zlikezebra
So last month I brought a 2005 TTS Cab home (22K miles) that has the 6 speed (X50, sport clutch, Tubi exhaust etc.) I wanted. Now - I do admit that I paid way more than $30K for my unicorn...

Congrats on the Turbo S Cab. I'm sure it sounds amazing topless with the Tubi exhaust.

When I bought 2 years ago, I was looking at 20K mile cars and 40K mile cars that were priced only a few thousand dollars apart, but ended up deciding based on the car's overall condition and specs and not the miles--granted there were more choices 2 years ago before the market started to take off. So I got the 43K mile bone stock car, now at 51K miles and I'm not concerned about putting the miles on (and thus affecting value). I don't have much time to drive it as it stands, since I don't commute, but I am trying to work it into the week occassionally.

I would say don't let your 22K miles keep you from enjoying the car and 'saving it for the next guy'. They're way too much fun to drive and the more seat time you get the less you'll be driving your C4.

Congrats again, and post some pics, maybe a new thread?

Last edited by Road King; 02-16-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:41 PM
zlikezebra is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by s65e90
Want to get rid of the Tubi exhaust?
Not specifically. I like the sound

Old 02-16-2017, 11:58 PM
Pacileo01TT is a name known to allPacileo01TT is a name known to allPacileo01TT is a name known to allPacileo01TT is a name known to allPacileo01TT is a name known to allPacileo01TT is a name known to all
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
i'm also in the +100k mile club and i've replaced everything on your list in two different tt's, with the exception of the wp. i consider all of those items to be wear items. except the lifters!

knowing what i ( purport and/or pretend ) to know about these cars, i'd say that our pal here is potentially onto a steal. as someone said, a putty knife will remove the badging lol. assuming the new lifters properly lift

i will say though, you may have an even lighter clutch foot than i if you're still on the original clutch. and though i'm sure were both heavy in the loafers mine went 100k also and was worn but ok still, and i only replaced it because i dropped my gearbox.
I'm also in the 100k+ club. Very similar wear and tear items above as you both have stated. Around 98,xxx- Clutch/Flywheel, slave, clutch accumulator and water pump- all done right before my purchase. Still on my original fuel pump at 112k-now. I have records from Day 1 as well.

I have done some DIY preventative work after I purchased the car. Full boost leak test (zip tied some lines, new #16 check valve, turbo check valves-preventative.) new throttle body gasket-preventative- new F hose (Forge) w my aftermarket DVs, new Bosch plugs, 997 Coils, power steering flush, trans and diff drain and refill, brake fluid flush, new serp belt- (all quite easy DIYS). Furthermore, I picked my car up under that price (not an X50 however)- have next to nothing into it- 1 Owner prior to me in South Florida) has never seen the winter elements and wont under my ownership.

In my opinion as others have stated- if the lifter situation is resolved, you wont be disappointed moving to an X50 6 speed at that price point. Some items as well are more of an age issue rather than mileage related. If you decide to sell yours, put the difference in your pocket, keep a little back-up for items as needed- even if you spend a little more then you like, but keep this car long term 10+ years, it would be worth it in my opinion (gaining the manual gear box at a great price point.)

These cars are robust- Excellence has a guy with over 550k on his turbo. My next items I'm going to tackle are some B8 Billsteins to complement my H&R springs- then my car should be set for awhile- its not a daily... Good luck with your decision!

Last edited by Pacileo01TT; 02-17-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:46 AM
the b8's will go well with the springs. sounds as if you know your way around the car. enjoy it.

Originally Posted by Pacileo01TT
These cars are robust-
they most certainly are

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.