996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Bought a 996tt, now I need to answer a few questions

Old 02-16-2017, 09:59 AM
Gberg996 will become famous soon enoughGberg996 will become famous soon enough
Bought a 996tt, now I need to answer a few questions

1) The car came with a few mods. It has some blue DVs on it. Anyone know who makes blue DVs?

2) The car came with a Fab speed exhaust, I am probably going to pull it off and sell it and buy a different exhaust that is a little quieter in the cabin and doesnt have drone below 2800 rpms. Anyone have suggests or want the Fab Speed Exhaust?

3) The car has a lot of oil vapor residue on the drivers side turbo's inlet pipe. Any idea where that is coming from?

4) I am having Freed Performance put in a new clutch because the current one is slipping like a mother F'er when you even barely get into it. Should I do the GT2 conversion at the same time? I am going with the Sachs Stage 2 which was a suggestion by Freed.

5) Car will need front struts soon. Any suggestion on where to get stock or slightly better than stock struts? What are my options?

6) Any way to tell if the car is tuned? And also, which tune it has one it?

Car is:
2004 X50 with the Aero Package
Black
63k miles

Old 02-16-2017, 10:11 AM
Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !Road King Is a GOD !
a lot of us have Kline exhausts..they're modular so you can go with 100 or 200 cell cats, or de-cat. I can tell you that with 200 cell cats its very quiet at idle and cruise.

Stock X50s are good for .9 bar...if you're seeing 1-1.2 bar it's probably tuned. Given that your car has an exhaust, upgraded DV/DV hoses and a slipping clutch, it's probably tuned (or driven hard / poorly to wipe out the clutch)

Regarding shocks and struts, I'm still stock but will probably do this in the future:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...r-springs.html

Post pics soon!

Last edited by Road King; 02-16-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:12 AM
Former Vendor
SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !SamboTT@ByDesign Is a GOD !
Congrats. You are in good Hands with Sean at Freed Performance. He can tell you if it has been tuned likely on a test drive. Sometimes if it's an old one it's hard to tell so most go new anyhow. Prices have become very reasonable on the new stuff like the Cobb AP.

- Blue DV's may be AP. A pressure test and you will know if it's all good.
- Lots of exhaust options he can help you with.
- A little oil vapor is normal. But it's not un-common to have a bad check valve or over-filling cause some oil consumption. Easy fix.
- A good talk with your your shop and you can pin point what is best for you. Lots of suspension options.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:15 AM
s65e90 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gberg996
1) The car came with a few mods. It has some blue DVs on it. Anyone know who makes blue DVs?

FVD makes blue valves, not sure if it's them

2) The car came with a Fab speed exhaust, I am probably going to pull it off and sell it and buy a different exhaust that is a little quieter in the cabin and doesnt have drone below 2800 rpms. Anyone have suggests or want the Fab Speed Exhaust?

I have a Remus exhaust (catless) that is pretty mild with zero drone inside and rather on the quiet side. I would be interested in trading. PM me if you want.

3) The car has a lot of oil vapor residue on the drivers side turbo's inlet pipe. Any idea where that is coming from?

Crankcase blow by which is normal for a turbo car. There will be oil in the pipes and maybe intake tract. You can eliminate it by running a catch can as that will send the oil into the can versus the intake tract.

4) I am having Freed Performance put in a new clutch because the current one is slipping like a mother F'er when you even barely get into it. Should I do the GT2 conversion at the same time? I am going with the Sachs Stage 2 which was a suggestion by Freed.

Yes, may as well as they are working on it. Do the OEM gt2 slave conversion.

5) Car will need front struts soon. Any suggestion on where to get stock or slightly better than stock struts? What are my options?

You sure it's the struts and not the strut mounts? I doubt the struts are bad. If so, look into bilsteins if just replacing the OEM, or look into coilovers as they are a better upgrade.

6) Any way to tell if the car is tuned? And also, which tune it has one it?
Your car should be boosting .9 on the dash gauge being an x50. What makes you think it's tuned?

Car is:
2004 X50 with the Aero Package
Black
63k miles
sssssss

Old 02-16-2017, 12:59 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
ask sean freed if he is pulling the motor along with the trans for the clutch. if he is now is the time to replace all the rubber hoses, boost hoses and vacuum lines . everything is 13 yrs old. change it while the engine is out. also have the coolant lines welded.this will put you in a position for a clean well maintained car that will respond well to mods down the road

Last edited by 32krazy!; 02-16-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:04 PM
brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !brockster Is a GOD !
What 32 said ^^^! Do a boost leak test as well!

Old 02-16-2017, 05:44 PM
While all of these things are great to do, I could easily be looking at 10k here in parts and labor... seems aggressive.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:28 PM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
While all of these things are great to do, I could easily be looking at 10k here in parts and labor... seems aggressive.
Yup thats about how much it costs, (or cost me for clutch, gt2 conversion, fitting pin, intake tubes, all new engine rubber, etc.) but it will cost even more a week after you get the new clutch and the fittings let go. Just something to consider.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:36 PM
arjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond repute
loved this community so many helpful folks

Old 02-16-2017, 08:46 PM
While I agree it would be prudent to do all that... and thank you to everyone who added their .02.

The engine is not being pulled. So the just the clutch and gt2 conversion will happen. There was no evidence of leaks anywhere beyond that blown by stated in the original post. So we should be good to go... famous last words right???

Old 02-16-2017, 09:30 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
While I agree it would be prudent to do all that... and thank you to everyone who added their .02.

The engine is not being pulled. So the just the clutch and gt2 conversion will happen. There was no evidence of leaks anywhere beyond that blown by stated in the original post. So we should be good to go... famous last words right???
if your not pulling the engine then its a roll of the dice. fittings have no rhyme or reason as to when they let go. its a fitting thats glued into a cast housing. 8 of them. any one of them can blow out at any time with zero warning. just be aware

Old 02-17-2017, 12:48 AM
Banned
996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute996tt550hp has a reputation beyond repute

I highly recommend you get your coolant lines welded and pinned. They will let go and when they do you could spin out on the road. Engine needs to come out unfortunately. I had no leaks until I was WOT down a street and one of my coolant hoses let go from the adhesive glue they use for lines.

You will have a lot of maintenance on these Porsche turbos. $$$$

Old 02-17-2017, 01:19 PM
I am going to ask Sean what it will cost to pin the lines and if he is pulling the motor to drop the transmission when he does the clutch.

Thank you all of your concern. I am aware of the costs of these cars... as there were 150k new. Maintenance prices dont change with purchase price.

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2017, 01:24 PM
Banned
I am going to ask Sean what it will cost to pin the lines and if he is pulling the motor to drop the transmission when he does the clutch.

Thank you all of your concern. I am aware of the costs of these cars... as there were 150k new. Maintenance prices dont change with purchase price.

Thanks!
if you pin the lines the parts cost is about 5$ and a few hrs labor. welding the fittings is more labor intensive but a permanent fix. pinning keeps the fittings in but wont stop a leak. its a good alternative fix for peace of mind.

Old 02-17-2017, 03:28 PM
Third-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond reputeThird-Reef has a reputation beyond repute
If the fittings show no signs of leaking or movement then pinning is a 100% acceptable/preferable fix.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bought a 996tt, now I need to answer a few questions