996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GIAC - Race File - Should I do it (any other programs?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 01:07 PM
zlikezebra is an unknown quantity at this point
GIAC - Race File - Should I do it (any other programs?)

So I recently got a 2005 Turbo S Cab that supposedly has a GIAC flash.

Unfortunately I didn't get any paperwork with the car so I was very happy that GIAC was actually able to confirm that in fact the car has been flashed for a 996 Turbo X50 - albeit it hasn't been updated since 2007.

GIAC referred me to a local tuner in Scottsdale - and they recommended that I not only update the program I have (they say they will do that for free) but in addition get the race files ($150 for the Flash Tool and $400 for the race program).

Is it worth getting? I am not specifically planning to track the car but the extra HP might be fun to have.

I was wondering whether I should get the stock program as well ($200) but was told that it wasn't worth it.

Any thoughts?

ZlikeZebra

Old 02-17-2017, 01:13 PM
Oh - and here a couple of pictures I lifed from the Dealer Site

Old 02-17-2017, 01:20 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
if you have a stock clutch in the car and do a race file that clutch wont last. so your 400$ file just turned into a 3000$ file. if thats good for you get it. if not then do the free updated file and drive the car for a summer and see what you want to do next. and fwiw there are better tunes out there than giac. protomotive, and cobb tunes are better and actually cheaper in the long run

ask the shop if the updated file has the rear O2 sensors turned off. if you have to pass emissions and the sensors are turned off you fail. you need the stock file so you can do emissions if that applies to your location

Old 02-17-2017, 01:29 PM
The Car has a stage 1 Clutch by Clutchmaster (I think) - car fax indicated a new clutch 3,000 miles ago and the shop listed on Carfax confirmed that they installed a Stage 1),

Old 02-17-2017, 01:51 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
somewhat better than stock . still a single disk sprung clutch plate. a protomotive tune would kill it in weeks. about the only way a mild clutch lasts on a tuned car if you dont use the boost. and what fun is that?

its your car to do with what you want. personally after modding mine weeks after buying it i wish i had just enjoyed the car for a summer then decided on the hp route i wanted to go. just my .02 (theres no single mod that does it all. these are expensive to mod and maintain so time ,research and the ability to decide how far you want to go are needed when modding or you wil;l spend a huge amount of cash)

Old 02-17-2017, 01:57 PM
REDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud of
Nice looking car. I would go ahead and get the free update, but not spend more money on GIAC. If you want to upgrade the tune further, I would go COBB.

Which tuner in Scottsdale did they point you towards?

Old 02-17-2017, 02:15 PM
GIAC pointed me to Parts Score (7707 E Acoma Drive, Scottsdale, AZ 85260).

Ok - I am hearing that I better stick with just getting an update on my current tune. So assuming I can pass emission with the update - there isn't a point to be able to flash to Stock?

At this stage I am not really planning to do any additional modifications - the car has been lowered and has a sports (tubi?) exhaust

Last edited by zlikezebra; 02-17-2017 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:19 PM
Banned
as long as they dont turn off the post cat o2 sensor you should be fine with emissions as long as your exhaust has cats

Old 02-17-2017, 10:49 PM
gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !gophaster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
its your car to do with what you want. personally after modding mine weeks after buying it i wish i had just enjoyed the car for a summer then decided on the hp route i wanted to go. just my .02 (theres no single mod that does it all. these are expensive to mod and maintain so time ,research and the ability to decide how far you want to go are needed when modding or you wil;l spend a huge amount of cash)

Good advice here. I had big mod plans for mine even before I bought it. Purchased the car totally bone stock and decided to enjoy her for one year before doing anything. Glad I did, after getting to know her for the year I've decided to keep it simple. Full exhaust, Coilovers, wheels, and seriously considering a Cobb AP and calling it a day

Old 02-18-2017, 09:01 AM
Ok-thanks a lot. I will just update the flash and then call it day. I had to pass emissions when I registered the car here - so I would be surprised if the new software would change that - but I will ask.

Z.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:00 AM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Not every test is as strict about sensors coded out, I know the testing here doesn't notice either. Some states have tightened up though so just know it's a possibility. I'm hoping to do a drive thru test with no plug-in at all.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:15 PM
rxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond reputerxbike has a reputation beyond repute
I have a GIAC tune and have not had any smog issue in CA. My smog person even knowing my car is tuned said that smog readings only changes when you are at full WOT. The current OBD-2 testing done in CA can't tell anything with the tune or exhaust and 200 cel cats I run on there. Its sees the numbers as clean or even better than most cars out there.
Just my 0.02 cents.
BTW, I like how everyone has opinions on which tuning company is better than another when I've not seen anyone actually running same vehicle with multiple tunes from all tuners to really truly compare. Not saying that there are people with more knowledge than me but until anecdotal evidence is presented on same vehicle setup and tune vs " my car felt faster after the tune" or even dyno runs tell me much as the dyno doesn't go very fast anywhere at all.
Ok, flame suit on

Old 02-23-2017, 05:57 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by rxbike
I have a GIAC tune and have not had any smog issue in CA. My smog person even knowing my car is tuned said that smog readings only changes when you are at full WOT. The current OBD-2 testing done in CA can't tell anything with the tune or exhaust and 200 cel cats I run on there. Its sees the numbers as clean or even better than most cars out there.
Just my 0.02 cents.
BTW, I like how everyone has opinions on which tuning company is better than another when I've not seen anyone actually running same vehicle with multiple tunes from all tuners to really truly compare. Not saying that there are people with more knowledge than me but until anecdotal evidence is presented on same vehicle setup and tune vs " my car felt faster after the tune" or even dyno runs tell me much as the dyno doesn't go very fast anywhere at all.
Ok, flame suit on
no flame but my experience was this. car came woith a giac 91 and 100 oct files. i paid to have the giac files updated to 93 and 105 octane files. couldnt feel any difference at all. changed to a epl file. from the outset i had misfires. after months of trying countless tunes i went proefi and misfires went away. hope that helps

Old 02-23-2017, 06:39 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
file, schmile. although my 1.3 tune is as old as dirt, we cant even get 93 fuel over here in odessa west

Old 02-23-2017, 07:55 PM
911mhawk is on a distinguished road
I'd be tempted to leave well enough alone and enjoy driving it unless you want to spend more. Things you'll discover are needed with more HP creep on the project, like any.
If you're regularly pushing the capability of the car, maybe then you start changing stuff?
Speed=$, how fast do you want to go.

​​​​​
​​​

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.