996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help Needed: Recently purchased car does not have...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 02:23 PM
B4WRND is infamous around these parts
Help Needed: Recently purchased car does not have...

Post cat 02 sensors!

I recently purchased an 02 Turbo with an aftermarket exhaust, tune, turbos, etc. As I was doing coil packs and plugs, I noticed my car literally does not have post cat 02 sensors. This is obviously a bit concerning. I know these don't have the range of the pre-cat sensors, and on most OBD2 cars are largely to make sure the catalytic converters (my car does not have cats) are functioning properly.

My question is two fold

1.) Would a tune eliminate the need for after cat 02 sensors?

And, if that is not the case...

2.) besides, the obvious of putting them back on the car and welding a place for them, is there anything else I should be aware of?

Old 02-17-2017, 02:52 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
They are tuned out, no big deal.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:58 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by brnrdtns
They are tuned out, no big deal.
It could be a big deal for emissions testing in IL. They do an OBD test here and if the sensors show up "unsupported" (which is what usually happens when they are "tuned out") the car will fail since the emissions computer knows that the car is supposed to have post cat sensors.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:24 PM
brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !brnrdtns Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vogz
It could be a big deal for emissions testing in IL. They do an OBD test here and if the sensors show up "unsupported" (which is what usually happens when they are "tuned out") the car will fail since the emissions computer knows that the car is supposed to have post cat sensors.
Well he doesn't have cats so he isn't passing jack ****. You should have gotten a stock exhaust with the car along with access to the stock tune so you can swap back and forth to pass emissions tests. I pass even with the wrong injectors for the tune this way.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:54 PM
vogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond reputevogz has a reputation beyond repute
Well he doesn't have cats so he isn't passing jack ****. You should have gotten a stock exhaust with the car along with access to the stock tune so you can swap back and forth to pass emissions tests. I pass even with the wrong injectors for the tune this way.
I passed emissions tests multiple times without cats on my 350Z. All sensors active and no codes = pass in IL. No visual inspection for cats. The easiest thing would probably be O2 simulators and turn sensors back on in ECU.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:06 PM
No sniffer test in IL?

Old 02-19-2017, 08:27 PM
No sniffer test in IL?

Not since the early 2000s.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:46 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
No sniffer here but they plug in and even normal inspections check for cats - and I've had them counted even when the car blew clean to a sniffer when they still used them. We do now have roadside drivethru tests that I hope to use - you just drive thru and it reads your emissions and tag. If that works I'll be DAMN happy!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.