996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Nothing like an 85º day in March at the track...

Old 03-19-2017, 11:23 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Nothing like an 85º day in March at the track...

A summer like day made it hard to say no to a day at the track. 1st time out at the local track in almost 6 month. With this weather, it was a huge turn out with all types of cars making it a great day and a perfect excuse to burn up a set of tires. Tons of traffic, lots of yellow flags, no point by's, just let it rip. A friend of mine had his 991Cup out and it was fun to give him a good hard chase starting on lap 4. The video is pretty good when you select HD 720P. I'm still trying to find the right spot for the microphone to eliminate the wind noise but its not easy.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 03-20-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:11 AM
spiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to beholdspiderman is a splendid one to behold
Awesome video! I can't wait for the season here to start up (WA, still raining almost every day). Also, your video makes my track day videos look like a Sunday cruise. Any build thread on the car you are in?

edit..forgot to ask, where do you have your mic currently? Is that it by the rear view mirror? I've never used an external mic, so I got a fair amount of wind noise with both windows open.

Last edited by spiderman; 03-20-2017 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:40 AM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
John at what point do you become concerned with water and oil temps?

Old 03-20-2017, 11:14 AM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
John at what point do you become concerned with water and oil temps?
I have my water temp alarm set at 230F, engine oil at 270F, and gearbox temp at 245F. No issues. Keep in mind I'm at an elevation of 5500' where the air is thinner and thus provides less cooling. It's rather significant. We've run 24hr endurance races in our spec 986 and we are seeing similar temps. When I ran at COTA a couple of weeks ago which is basically at sea level, I was seeing a peak of 203F on the coolant and 256F on the engine oil. Granted, COTA is a faster track but the altitude has a significant effect.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by spiderman
Awesome video! I can't wait for the season here to start up (WA, still raining almost every day). Also, your video makes my track day videos look like a Sunday cruise. Any build thread on the car you are in?

edit..forgot to ask, where do you have your mic currently? Is that it by the rear view mirror? I've never used an external mic, so I got a fair amount of wind noise with both windows open.
I have the mic tucked away at the base of the roll bar. There may be a lot of air swirling around there however. I'm going to experiment with other areas in the car. Just need to find one where the air is not swirling around so much with the windows open.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 03-22-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:03 PM
SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !SeattleTurbo Is a GOD !
Great driving John, that track looks like a lot of fun!

Originally Posted by spiderman

It's already started I'm doing my 2nd one of the year next weekend. Hope to see you out there at some point this year

Old 03-20-2017, 12:17 PM
REDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud ofREDLINER911 has much to be proud of
Watching this makes me realize I should really learn to left foot brake

Old 03-20-2017, 01:30 PM
nicknaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Awesome vid! I started my season yesterday at Sears' Point, and realized it's going to take me a while to get used to pushing hard in a 911 (previously tracked cars were WRX and various BMWs)

thanks for sharing info regarding water temps. It is good to know what is 'normal' (looking at your build, it looks like you are using the stock radiators?)

Old 03-20-2017, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by nicknaz
Awesome vid! I started my season yesterday at Sears' Point, and realized it's going to take me a while to get used to pushing hard in a 911 (previously tracked cars were WRX and various BMWs)

thanks for sharing info regarding water temps. It is good to know what is 'normal' (looking at your build, it looks like you are using the stock radiators?)
Yes. Stock. My shop has found these to be excellent and use them on all our race cars. No matter what you use, the key is to maintaining clean cores. Once they start getting plugged, the efficiency will drop. I would say that a 5 year change out interval is probably good on the radiators to keep their efficiency high. When I replaced my 15 year old OEMs with new, coolant temps dropped 10-15 degrees. The hot/high environment we run in is about as hard as it gets on the cooling system.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 03-20-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
here you go john. run this thru the the tailight bundle into the cabin. clip it onto the license plate so you get the exhaust note and not the wind noise
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231527551394...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Old 03-20-2017, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
here you go john. run this thru the the tailight bundle into the cabin. clip it onto the license plate so you get the exhaust note and not the wind noise
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231527551394...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Thanks Steve. Haven't looked at it but where is the easiest way to route it into the cabin from the license plate area?

Old 03-20-2017, 03:06 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
Thanks Steve. Haven't looked at it but where is the easiest way to route it into the cabin from the license plate area?
behind the plate /bumper up thru the engine bay on the passenger side is a grommet that has all the wiring. fish it thru there into the cabin.

heres a video i found way back when that gave me the idea

Last edited by 32krazy!; 03-20-2017 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:48 PM
roseylv is a name known to allroseylv is a name known to allroseylv is a name known to allroseylv is a name known to allroseylv is a name known to allroseylv is a name known to all
Great Vid!!!! Makes me want to consider turning mine into a dedicated track car. What would it take financially to get er done? PM if preferred. Would appreciate an honest answer. I'm getting bored w/ Golf :-)

Old 03-21-2017, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
behind the plate /bumper up thru the engine bay on the passenger side is a grommet that has all the wiring. fish it thru there into the cabin.

heres a video i found way back when that gave me the idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxp_1FK_VAM
Assuming that's a license plate mounted mic? Seems like a decent amount of wind noise in the video considering he's not going very fast. How would it would at 100+ mph?

Old 03-21-2017, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by roseylv
Great Vid!!!! Makes me want to consider turning mine into a dedicated track car. What would it take financially to get er done? PM if preferred. Would appreciate an honest answer. I'm getting bored w/ Golf :-)
Honestly, it all depends on the level of modification. From fully stock, about a minimum of $5-7k for basic track prep which would include roll bar, seats, harnesses, brake pads, brake cooling, and tires. $20-25k will get you a pretty good track prep. On the upper end, $50k+. Just depends how crazy you wanna go and how much you wanna spend...

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.