996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Fault code P0444???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 02:43 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
You are the man my friend. Thank you!! That has to be it then. Reps to you!

So it looks like it's the valve that is peeking out behind the vacuum check valve (with the zip tied rubber cap) in the pic below of the top of my engine. Must be it as it has a plastic pipe going to it.

Yes it is in this area. Lowering the engine will help you a lot to reach it and see if the plug came off or a wire is damage......

Old 03-16-2017, 02:53 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
John. I was just reading about this valve and looks like they incorporate a filter within this housing. May be you should look at it in case it is plugged.... Item#5:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 16.50.42.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	472047  
Old 03-16-2017, 03:11 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jpflip
John. I was just reading about this valve and looks like they incorporate a filter within this housing. May be you should look at it in case it is plugged.... Item#5:
Thank you JP. Great info. Where did you dig up the info about the filter in the housing? Very interesting. I just looked it up in PET and the number for the valve (which includes the plastic pipe) is 996.110.129.73. If I need to change it out it should not be too difficult to access if the engine is lowered a couple of inches. That will be a must. You can see it clearly on my car where the plastic pipe (with the clear tubing) is routed just to the left of the oil filter housing and above and aft of the diverter valve visible.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LgJD8C]

Last edited by pwdrhound; 03-16-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:25 PM
My PET is out of date and I cannot see this part# but did some research and it look good!!!
The pipe alone is 996-110-129-72, Atlantaauto parts cat does not show the part# for the valve .... Strange....

Old 03-16-2017, 04:57 PM
pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !pwdrhound Is a GOD !
My PET is out of date and I cannot see this part# but did some research and it look good!!!
The pipe alone is 996-110-129-72, Atlantaauto parts cat does not show the part# for the valve .... Strange....
The plastic vent line that is attached to the valve is part of the valve JP. The most recent number in PET has been updated to -73.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-996-...-/191732722840

Old 03-16-2017, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by pwdrhound
The plastic vent line that is attached to the valve is part of the valve JP. The most recent number in PET has been updated to -73.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-996-...-/191732722840
Ok thanks for this info John....

Old 03-22-2017, 06:52 PM
While looking at your other question about the #16 check valve I end up in the OBDII manual and I was looking at the fault P0444. The first picture you post of your Durametric mention tank vent valve which as to be the one near the engine intake mention in my previous post. But looking at the OBDII manual they mention the canister purge valve is at fault if you got the P0444 fault???? See Wross answer post#5.... In that case the canister purge valve is in the right wheel well.... Item#6...Why this discrepancy???? We cannot blame Durametric because in another section of the OBDII manual fault P0444 is related to the tank vent valve (see diagram) ....

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 20.55.06.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	472453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 21.16.53.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	472464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 21.38.31.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	472465  

Last edited by jpflip; 03-22-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:38 PM
While looking at your other question about the #16 check valve I end up in the OBDII manual and I was looking at the fault P0444. The first picture you post of your Durametric mention tank vent valve which as to be the one near the engine intake mention in my previous post. But looking at the OBDII manual they mention the canister purge valve is at fault if you got the P0444 fault???? See Wross answer post#5.... In that case the canister purge valve is in the right wheel well.... Item#6...Why this discrepancy????
I know!!!! This is why I'm confused as to which valve is actually the EVAP purge valve. In other words, which valve is the maintenance manual referring to regarding P0444. Look at the P0444 PDF I attached in post #11 JP. Which "purge valve" is that referring to? I was set on #14 on the engine but now I'm starting to lean to #6 now as per your post above. Ugh...

**In post #7 Macster is referring to valve #6 but it's a different #6 than the one you are pointing to.

Last edited by pwdrhound; 03-22-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:44 PM
Hope you will physically see something wrong once you are around the valve or the valves.... Wires, connectors, lines etc.....

(See correction on previous post last sentence)

Old 03-22-2017, 07:59 PM
Hope you will physically see something wrong once you are around the valve or the valves.... Wires, connectors, lines etc.....

(See correction on previous post last sentence)
Thanks JP. Tomorrow I'm going to look at the stuff in the right wheel well to see if something obvious jumps out. I gave up on doing that since I thought the problem was with #14 at the engine. Back to square one. It's aggravating that the maintenance manual give trouble shooting information yet they do not make it clear which "valve" they are talking about. I'm going to drop by a local dealer where I have a good friend that is the service manager. Maybe they can shed some light on it.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:28 PM
With all the research you did and information you have, you got a good start. Keep us inform of your findings and good luck!

Old 03-25-2017, 12:35 AM
While looking at your other question about the #16 check valve I end up in the OBDII manual and I was looking at the fault P0444. The first picture you post of your Durametric mention tank vent valve which as to be the one near the engine intake mention in my previous post. But looking at the OBDII manual they mention the canister purge valve is at fault if you got the P0444 fault???? See Wross answer post#5.... In that case the canister purge valve is in the right wheel well.... Item#6...Why this discrepancy???? We cannot blame Durametric because in another section of the OBDII manual fault P0444 is related to the tank vent valve (see diagram) ....
[url=https://flic.kr/p/SEjVnN]

Quick update JP. I removed the valve housing behind the passenger headlight and took out both valves #6 (tank vent) and #7 (shutoff). Interestingly, #6 is the valve that you hear click when you push on the metal flapper in the filler neck. This valve is connected to a tube that terminates right behind the forward part of the filler door behind the door hinge. Fresh ambient air can gets drawn into the EVAP system this way. #6 is the valve that the dealer pointed me to as being the one mentioned in the P0444 PDF. When I tested it however, it appears to be working fine as it clicks and opens when the filler in the neck is deflected. When I measured the resistance of the valve, it measured just under 18 Ohms. According to the P0444 PDF, it should be 26 +/-4 ohms. If this IS ACTUALLY the valve in question in the P0444 PDF, the resistance is low. That's a big if however. The other valve #7 measures at 26 Ohms. Hmmm.

I'm still a little skeptical as to the #6 being the correct valve. I have both #6 and #7 ordered and will have them to replace next Friday. In my gut, I'm still thinking that #14 at the engine is the problem. JP, what exactly in the OBDII manual lead you to believe that #6 is the correct valve as you stated above?

Old 03-25-2017, 06:38 AM
At the beginning of my research (post#8) it was Loren (Renntech) answer for the evap purge valve location (see https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...evap-canister/")...I know it is for the Carrera but the valve is very similar physically.... Plus if you look at the thread further down, Tac27 found the valve unplug in the engine compartment and seems to fix his fault... Unfortunately , later, I have found "wording issue" with the P0444 fault....This is only speculation related to the "word" they are using to define the P0444 fault. Confusing isn't it! In one part of the OBDII manual (the diagram) they are referring the fault at "tank vent valve" which is to me the one in the engine compartment. And in the other section, the fault itself, they show the P0444 fault related to the "evap canister purge valve"... Sorry about such confusion John but I am trying my best.. But if I was in your shoes and because nothing obvious was found in the front wheel well I would look at the one in the engine compartment.

Last edited by jpflip; 03-25-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:52 AM
Update!!!! First my car is a 2002. I went and hook up the PST2 and after the Durametric to them OBDII port. Got the DME menu and went to "drive link" and select fuel evaporative valve. I heard a click and it was from the engine compartment the valve # 14!!!! I put a long screwdriver on it and it is coming from this valve. The funny thing with the PST2 the valve click on and off continuously and on the Durametric it click only once when the switch is depressed.... Hope you will try this

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 08.42.21.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	472652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 08.42.42.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	465.2 KB
ID:	472653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-03-25 at 09.09.24.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	472655  

Last edited by jpflip; 03-25-2017 at 07:11 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:59 PM
Update!!!! First my car is a 2002. I went and hook up the PST2 and after the Durametric to them OBDII port. Got the DME menu and went to "drive link" and select fuel evaporative valve. I heard a click and it was from the engine compartment the valve # 14!!!! I put a long screwdriver on it and it is coming from this valve. The funny thing with the PST2 the valve click on and off continuously and on the Durametric it click only once when the switch is depressed.... Hope you will try this
Thanks JP! I believe that finally settles it. I indeed have a faulty #14 valve, hopefully not the wiring. When I tried to cycle it with durametric, nothing happened when I pressed "start" on the "fuel evaporative valve". It showed as "signal sent successfully" at the bottom of the screen but no click, nothing. Everything else on the activation menu I tried worked. When I selected "start" on the "charcoal shutoff valve", I could hear continuous clicking and verified that it was indeed valve #7. I was easy to see it working a I had both #6 and 7 plugged in and hanging outside of their housing. Everything I selected on the durametric menu would run or click continuously until "stop" was selected.

So it looks like my friend who originally pointed to #14 was right and the master Porsche mechanic at the dealer was mistaken when he pointed to #6 as the problem. Incidentally I spoke with another tech at another Porsche dealership and he said #14 is 99% the culprit with P0444. He said he's never seen #6 or 7 fail. Basically the exact opposite of what the tech told me at the other dealership. He also told me there is no document from Porsche that would actually precisely point out what valve the P0444 document is referring to. He said it's pretty much up to people to figure out.

I'll have a final verdict this coming week as I have #6,7, and 14 on order. I'm just going to swap them all out since 6 and 7 are already out. I do have a better understanding how this whole convoluted EVAP system works and the bottom line is, it's not simple. Thanks again JP for putting in the time to help me out with this!

Last edited by pwdrhound; 03-25-2017 at 05:01 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.