996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

To sell or not to sell...With or without Mods?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 11:49 AM
clsund will become famous soon enoughclsund will become famous soon enough
Again, well put Rick.

I think this discussion has encapsulated all the pros and cons of selling modded or returning to stock. Some/most people want an original vehicle for various reasons- the main one being, they don't want a car that's been beat up/abused. A modded car is more likely to be abused. Some people, especially those on these discussion boards, are more willing to buy a modded car. but those are fewer and farther between because it takes experience and knowledge to be comfortable with buying a modded car.

Then you have the conundrum of whether to return the car to stock to get a buyer who wants a "stock" vehicle. As others have already pointed out, returning a vehicle to stock is not the same thing as a stock vehicle. Then, whether you reveal the car was modded and returned to stock is determined by the integrity of the seller.

If you're truly wanting to sell, sell it modded here or on one of the other sites. but it kind of sounds like you don't want to sell. Tough call.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:12 PM
magoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by rickw30
Selling a car as " brought back to stock " and a " stock VIRGIN " are totally two different things with these types of cars.
What do you say to a potential buyer when he asks about history and what has been done to the car. Do you tell them it was modded and returned to stock or do you side skirt and not reveal the transformation. If you hide it and it is picked up under close inspection then what do you do. You have lost all trust. If you don't hide it, what do most people start to think. Who did the work ? Was it done correctly ? Are they the original parts that came with the car ? Why did you mod it ? How long was it modded ? Thinking to myself " was it beat on ? ". The list of questions and self thoughts goes on as the potential buyer.
A car that has been modded by any means will never ever be a stock VIRGIN. Even if returned to stock form.
You must put yourself in the aforementioned situation as a buyer and ask yourself what would you do/think.
The OP sounds like an honest guy and by the description of his vehicle it sounds like a gem. I don't think he would represent his vehicle in any manner than what it truly is and was.
So you must ask yourself do I leave it as is. A perfectly running modded animal ( with all the stock parts on the side ) or put the stock equipment back on.
Just my thoughts !
Good points. I believe in full transparency, I have my car listed on line as moded with the option to return it to stock if desired. I offered this because I had a potential buyer express to me that the car was "to fast" and that he didn't need/want all that power after a test drive. If I were to return it to stock, I would certainly disclose the car's history.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:25 PM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by magoochi
Good points. I believe in full transparency, I have my car listed on line as moded with the option to return it to stock if desired. I offered this because I had a potential buyer express to me that the car was "to fast" and that he didn't need/want all that power after a test drive. If I were to return it to stock, I would certainly disclose the car's history.
can you post his name? We will need to get the correct authorities to remove his man card and give him a pair of skinny jeans.

Old 03-24-2017, 01:28 PM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
can you post his name? We will need to get the correct authorities to remove his man card and give him a pair of skinny jeans.
YYYYEEEESSSSSS!!!!! Well played.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:31 PM
magoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Haaaaa!! Funny...He is not a member. The weird part is he has a Shelby Mustang GT 350. No slouch. Come to find out, he only opened it up once or twice. He was clearly shook up as a passenger when I opened the TT up a little.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:58 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Opp- you have a great built car with the right mods. I was looking for this last fall and found one with quite a bit more. I trusted the build and documentation history and bought sight unseen. Much preferred over stock. Different stokes as they say.
Glws

Old 03-28-2017, 09:58 AM
Daytonaman has a spectacular aura aboutDaytonaman has a spectacular aura aboutDaytonaman has a spectacular aura about
My 05' TTS is the most amazing car ever; even after the fuel pump failed 2 blocks from my garage. 2 nice guys helped me push this $160,000 down the road into the garage.
Now have to fix it and get it back on the road.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:54 PM
Kendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to beholdKendall993 is a splendid one to behold
I would prefer a modded car as long as it's well documented and passed a PPI from a shop that really knows what they are looking at. The way I look at it is I can save A LOT of money buying it after its been built and that's a good thing.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:40 PM
techweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant futuretechweenie has a brilliant future
First time 996TT buyer: stock

Repeat 996TT buyer: 'desirable*' mods

* definition of desirable is highly variable

Note: mods removed will likely bring more $$$ than mods left on car...

Old 03-29-2017, 05:14 AM
arjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kendall993
I would prefer a modded car as long as it's well documented and passed a PPI from a shop that really knows what they are looking at. The way I look at it is I can save A LOT of money buying it after its been built and that's a good thing.
what he said
stock P car is no fun at all

Last edited by arjayr33; 03-29-2017 at 05:21 AM. Reason: typos
Old 03-29-2017, 06:31 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by techweenie
First time 996TT buyer: stock

Repeat 996TT buyer: 'desirable*' mods
exactly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.