996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

To sell or not to sell...With or without Mods?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 09:34 AM
magoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant future
To sell or not to sell...With or without Mods?

So selling the old girl after 8 years. I love my TT, it looks like the day it came out of the showroom but I simply never get to use it anymore and looking at it in the garage does nothing but irritate me. I want to drive it, not look at it. I've put less than 2000 miles on it since 2015. I used to be able to use it as a DD on nice days but a different commute changed all that 1.5 years ago. The car has a lot of mods(billet turbos,1000cc injectors, larger IPD plenum, larger TB, larger intercoolers & hoses, larger intake, DV's Wastegates, Kline 3" exhaust, Sachs 2.5 clutch, Cobb AP and tune and so on). Big Thanks to Sam at ByDsign, you're the best.

I advertised the car on Cars.com as is with all the mods with the option to remove all the mods and return it to stock(at a discount).

Question #1: Do you guys think the car is more appealing to a grander audience stock or with all the mods? I realize the mods add very little value to the car so I certainly could remove them and sell them?

Question #2: Are the mods actually a deterrent? When I was looking for a TT, I wanted a stock one even though I knew I was going to do some mods. That said, I ended doing a lot more mods than I thought I was going to do when I bought the car. Looking back on it, I could have saved myself a lot of money had I bought a modded car.

Question #3: Has anybody out there sold their TT for the same reason as me(lack of use) and regretted it? It's paid for I don't really need the money but I'm sure I could find a way to spend it.

Thanks guys

Karl

Old 03-18-2017, 10:23 AM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
I think you're totally on point with question #2. When I was buying my car I wanted a stock one. That way I could do my build my way. Unless you sell to someone who already owned one, I don't think the buyer will understand that you've made solid "proven" mods via a reputable tuner. It takes a lot of dedicated research to arrive at those conclusions. Most buyers are reading about the cars as written-about in stock form so that's kinda what they expect. Of course there are exceptions to every rule - and I have pondered this myself- I almost always decide that when I sell I'll probably advertise it both ways and see which ad gets more calls... Just an idea. I haven't actually had to cross that bridge.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:28 AM
Sourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to beholdSourcerock is a splendid one to behold
Question #1: Do you guys think the car is more appealing to a grander audience stock or with all the mods? I realize the mods add very little value to the car so I certainly could remove them and sell them?

PM me if you want to sell the

(billet turbos,1000cc injectors, larger IPD plenum, larger TB, larger intercoolers & hoses, larger intake, Wastegates)

Old 03-18-2017, 12:30 PM
Aktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of lightAktavate is a glorious beacon of light
Agree with Stebo, unless you've done some research on the car most people are probably going to be driven away by a car that is even lightly modded. Even people who are posting on here sometimes are totally insane. I remember someone who was looking saying they turned down a car as an option because it had a gt2 'style' rear wing and so OBVIOUSLY the owner raced the car and was really hard on it... What?

That being said there are people looking for a correctly modded car and willing to pay a little extra for it, its just a matter of how much time you have and how much you're willing to deal on the price of said mods.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:46 PM
LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !LostMarine Is a GOD !
It takes a special person to buy a modded car. A person like me wants to see basic upgrades but no internal engine work ( makes me think something was pushed too hard and needed a rebuild).

Depending on labor rates, you may be better off going back to stock or close to stock and selling parts. Unless of course you want to sell the car for near or less than OEM value. Thats how I usually sell modded cars very very fast. If car+mods are equal or within a few $k of a stock car, its gone in a bout a week, maybe 2.

What car is it, im actually still in the market for a car

Old 03-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
are you going to do the oem parts install? if yes then bring it back to stock. if no leave them on the car and price the mods at .50 on the $. personally if its paid for i would keep it and make the effort to drive it mopre on the weekends and occasionally to work. i have seen many sell their porsche and regret it later

Old 03-18-2017, 01:32 PM
magoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant futuremagoochi has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by LostMarine
It takes a special person to buy a modded car. A person like me wants to see basic upgrades but no internal engine work ( makes me think something was pushed too hard and needed a rebuild).

Depending on labor rates, you may be better off going back to stock or close to stock and selling parts. Unless of course you want to sell the car for near or less than OEM value. Thats how I usually sell modded cars very very fast. If car+mods are equal or within a few $k of a stock car, its gone in a bout a week, maybe 2.

What car is it, im actually still in the market for a car
Thanks for you interest, send me a PM with your phone number and I'll call you. I don't want to make the post about advertising my car for sale or selling my mods

Old 03-18-2017, 04:44 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
first one i wanted "stock" with a warranty so i could learn all that breaks.

second car i wanted modded so someone else took the hit on costs.

sucks that you are selling. i would miss mine interminably. but i know the feeling. my motorcycle mostly sits in the garage, but i'd rather hang it from the ceiling and stare at it than sell it!

if you can put back to stock easily ( which you can't too many parts, then cool.. ) but that's just nuts. your car is about as far down the slope as to be past the point of an easy and fast return.

however, since you don't NEED the money ( today? ) wait for the right buyer ( someone such as myself that only wanted a modded 2nd tt..) and get your price.

the "right" person is gonna pay for the car fairly priced. the wrong person wont know the "value" of your carefully considered "mods". GL whatever you decide.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by '02996ttx50
first one i wanted "stock" with a warranty so i could learn all that breaks.

second car i wanted modded so someone else took the hit on costs.

sucks that you are selling. i would miss mine interminably. but i know the feeling. my motorcycle mostly sits in the garage, but i'd rather hang it from the ceiling and stare at it than sell it!

if you can put back to stock easily ( which you can't too many parts, then cool.. ) but that's just nuts. your car is about as far down the slope as to be past the point of an easy and fast return.

however, since you don't NEED the money ( today? ) wait for the right buyer ( someone such as myself that only wanted a modded 2nd tt..) and get your price.

the "right" person is gonna pay for the car fairly priced. the wrong person wont know the "value" of your carefully considered "mods". GL whatever you decide.
Thanks, you make some good points. Unlike yourself, looking at it but not driving it doesn't give me any satisfaction, it irritates me more than anything. I'm not typically attached to my cars and motorcycles(I've owned over 35 cars and probably around 20 motorcycles) this one is by far my favorite and the only car or motorcycle I've owned and kept for more than 2 years(I've had the TT for 8yrs)

I already have it listed for sale on line(testing the waters). I'm only asking about $3-5k more for it than if it was stock. I think that's more than reasonable considering that the mods probably cost me over $15k. Convenience wise, it would obviously be much easier to sell it moded.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:02 PM
Banned
32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !32krazy! Is a GOD !
listen to what your saying! irritated you dont drive it but its by far your favorite car. keep it and drive it. dont wait for that special sunny day, take it out sunday no matter the weather. drive it for a day and then try to sell it. you wont want to

Old 03-18-2017, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by 32krazy!
listen to what your saying! irritated you dont drive it but its by far your favorite car. keep it and drive it. dont wait for that special sunny day, take it out sunday no matter the weather. drive it for a day and then try to sell it. you wont want to
Good point, when I get back from driving it, as rare as that is, I never want to sell it.

Old 03-18-2017, 06:33 PM
'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !'02996ttx50 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by magoochi
Unlike yourself, looking at it but not driving it doesn't give me any satisfaction, it irritates me more than anything.
to your point, i can look at the bike I've had and restored several times over the 35 years I've owned it and its a one kicker whenever i get the urge. but i don't "jones' for it like i do the TT.

i could never just sit and "look" at the twin turbo either that one screams drive me daily up n down the mountain..

it's just that as get i older, i tend to favor the "cage"!

i agree that selling "modded" is the right decision. your car's dialed in, and as i said before, the parts are well thought out. someone will know. cheers.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:44 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by magoochi
Good point, when I get back from driving it, as rare as that is, I never want to sell it.
that tells you what you already know. now its up to you to make the effort to drive it more and enjoy the car.
just so you know my car has been on my lift or in the shop for 2 yrs now. today was the first day i did a 20 mile drive with it and even though i still have some transmission issues i was as happy as the first day i bought the car. selling it has never occured to me and im more excited now than ever that i may be driving it and racing it by years end

Old 03-18-2017, 08:40 PM
ponyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
TO MOD or NOT TO MOD?

Just like a home it is all about curb appeal when it comes time to sell. People love the upgrades but they usually do not buy for that reason. You sound like you have a pretty good knowledge in picking the right upgrades for the performance that meets your needs but the odds are that the majority of the market you are trying to attract is no where as sophisticated as you are and they would not know the advantage of any mods you have listed or if they are good or bad.

The buyer is always going to wonder why something was changed.

The fact is that they may be trying to buy a car that is well above their driving ability. Look at any exotic car crash video on you tube and the majority of them are caused because there is too much car and not enough driver.

Looks, sound, drivability and status are what you are selling. I was able to move my highly modified C4S because it was an absolutely beautiful car and that is what the buyer fell in love with fortunately I was also able to get top dollar for it. The best part was that the buyer owned an exotic car dealership but trust me I had to market the heck out of it to find the right buyer.

I would have never sold it using some trader magazine.

Your best bet is listing it on a site like Six Speed or PCA where the shoppers are educated or at least have a forum that they can become educated with the help of other members.

The value of the upgrades are in the quality and integrity they provide in regards to durability, safety and performance.

I look at every 1000 horse power Lambo I see and I think they are pretty cool but I sure would probably never buy one (Unless it was an incredible deal). I had to put that disclaimer in there, I love to be a buyer and hate to be a seller.

I have an unmolested TURBO CAB that is holding its value well but very low miles and a highly modified (BRABUS) MBZ sedan that I probably will take a severe beating on should I decide to sell but like you I had it built for the way I like to drive.

Spring is right around the corner and no time is better than now to start a listing.

Good luck on the process, it sounds like a great car!

Old 03-19-2017, 07:51 AM
VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !VGLNTE1 Is a GOD !
To me, I buy stock because most people and shops don't know what they are doing, or care. The damage that could be done has happened. If I knew something was done right by alot of research and tuned by the right people it would be OK. I would never buy a big modded cast that's been taken back to stock. Probably be slopped together to just sell.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.