996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Speaking of wastegates...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Ruiner is on a distinguished road
Speaking of wastegates...

While changing my oil the other day (that will be a different thread and updates), I noticed that the exposed threads on my stock, K-16 wastegates were of different lengths. I have never touched them, but they were definitely off a few mm (few turns?).

What should they be at in the stock form? How many turns? mm? I'd like to make both of them even if at all possible; perhaps even tune them, slightly.

thanks in advance

Old 04-03-2006, 09:37 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ruiner
While changing my oil the other day (that will be a different thread and updates), I noticed that the exposed threads on my stock, K-16 wastegates were of different lengths. I have never touched them, but they were definitely off a few mm (few turns?).

What should they be at in the stock form? How many turns? mm? I'd like to make both of them even if at all possible; perhaps even tune them, slightly.

thanks in advance
Markski told me to mark where both are at, and do a full turn to turn and a half, i havent done it yet but will be soon

Old 04-03-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Markski told me to mark where both are at, and do a full turn to turn and a half, i havent done it yet but will be soon
But mine are uneven to begin with... Think of it this way:

One has 1/2" of thread exposed while the other has 1/4" exposed...

Old 04-03-2006, 10:12 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ruiner
But mine are uneven to begin with... Think of it this way:

One has 1/2" of thread exposed while the other has 1/4" exposed...
Hmm weird yea i missed that, i would say even it out both to 1/4, then do one full turn!

Old 04-03-2006, 10:21 PM
scslite is on a distinguished road
Somebody should put up a simple DIY on this the right way.

Any volunteers?

Old 04-03-2006, 10:42 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
One of your turbos is working hader than the other one. I would at least even them out.

Sorry not sure of the measurements.

Keep an eye on your boost. Cranking the wastegates increases both boost and boost response.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by ari
One of your turbos is working hader than the other one. I would at least even them out.

Sorry not sure of the measurements.

Keep an eye on your boost. Cranking the wastegates increases both boost and boost response.
Right. I figured that one was working harder than the other. "Tightening" them in will increase boost/response, yes? Letting them out will slow things down and allow the wastegates to open sooner, right?

I guess what I am asking is if I am going to adjust them, adjust the one that has the least amount of thread exposed so that it is even with the one that has the most?

Old 04-03-2006, 11:22 PM
Mark should be tuning in shortly

Old 04-03-2006, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Mark should be tuning in shortly
I look forward to the answer...

Old 04-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Wow, it got moved back?

Old 04-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Ruiner - I would assume the "tail" should be the same lenght on both. Your uneven lengths sound wacky. I think you will need to use one of those "Use a hand pressurizing pump with a gauge (mightyvac) and properly test them" as Sharky mentions in my thread https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=45973 .

It's probably pretty important to not screw this up much.

Good Luck - Mike

Old 04-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Zippy
Ruiner - I would assume the "tail" should be the same lenght on both. Your uneven lengths sound wacky. I think you will need to use one of those "Use a hand pressurizing pump with a gauge (mightyvac) and properly test them" as Sharky mentions in my thread https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=45973 .

It's probably pretty important to not screw this up much.

Good Luck - Mike
Yes, the "tail" (good word) should be the same I would think/assume. Now, the actual length of the tail is still a mystery...

Old 04-04-2006, 05:29 PM
ruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to beholdruffinit is a splendid one to behold
I had a thread on this a while ago.....all I have to say is make sure that they are even and at the right place. They make a HUGE difference if they are not where they are supposed to be. I bought my car and it felt underpowered....took it to the porsche shop and he tweaked the bolt on the wastegate and it added around 40hp to the wheels (yes, i know this bc it was dynoed). I may be wrong, but there is no "right" spot....kind of just have to play around with it to see where your sweet spot is. All the above pertains to a stock car with k16's

Old 04-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by ruffinit
I had a thread on this a while ago.....all I have to say is make sure that they are even and at the right place. They make a HUGE difference if they are not where they are supposed to be. I bought my car and it felt underpowered....took it to the porsche shop and he tweaked the bolt on the wastegate and it added around 40hp to the wheels (yes, i know this bc it was dynoed). I may be wrong, but there is no "right" spot....kind of just have to play around with it to see where your sweet spot is. All the above pertains to a stock car with k16's
I was worried about that. Care to explain any specifics of what I should "look" for in terms of tuning? How much "tail" you have on yours? Should I still retain stock boost or might it jump up a hair? Down? What did you notice differently (in terms of boost) when yours was tuned?

Thank you for your input.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:52 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Can one just go about playing with the waste gate? I was going to get the "waste gate spring upgrade" is that the same thing and is that a good idea or not?
TIA

Ruiner, good luck and even those poor turbos out!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Speaking of wastegates...