996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rear main seal leak?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 01:16 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
Rear main seal leak?

I was reading Excellence and their Market update section features Boxster and 996. In discussing the problems these cars face they mentioned that the RMS is a big problem for possibly 50-100% of the 996s! They go on to say that the RMS can be replaced so long as the crank assembly is still centered in the crankcase. Porsche has a gauge to measure( tool # 9699/1) if it is still centered and if so the RMS can be replaced, otherwise if the tool doesn't fit, the ENGINE SHOULD BE REPLACED. I like how they ran right through that part like it was a brake pad! I'm assuming there aren't too many of these going down or we'd hear about it big time. Anyone have RMS problems on their cars? Maybe this only applies to regular 996 engines?

Old 07-26-2006, 01:19 PM
PMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to behold
I haven't heard of it being a problem with the TT, just the NA 996. Also, it seems as though it afflicts the 6-speeds more than chicktronic (supposedly related to the weight of that honking great flywheel hanging off the crankshaft).

Old 07-26-2006, 02:11 PM
Griza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud ofGriza has much to be proud of
That is a problem for the NA 996 engines. Thankfully we have those two little snails to help us out!!!

Last edited by Griza; 07-26-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:01 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
It's much more common on m96/97 motors but not unheard of on m64's or derrivatives(996TT,GT3). I've seen it on a 996TTx50 and GT3 myself. It's a potential design flaw in any flat six with a clamshell style block that puts the greatest stress on the rear mainbearing, hence seal failure. Porsche has looked at several fixes, bigger seals, lighter flywheel, and even less counterweight on the crankshaft at that position.
There are a hell of a lot more NA m96/97 motors than GT3's and TT's, that's why you see it a lot more imo.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Evan333 will become famous soon enough
As said, it is not as common on the 996TT and GT3 motors, much more common on the 996 N/A motors, however, it does still happen to TT's and GT3's!
Evan

Old 07-26-2006, 03:20 PM
qfix is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Red Devil
I was reading Excellence and their Market update section features Boxster and 996. In discussing the problems these cars face they mentioned that the RMS is a big problem for possibly 50-100% of the 996s! They go on to say that the RMS can be replaced so long as the crank assembly is still centered in the crankcase. Porsche has a gauge to measure( tool # 9699/1) if it is still centered and if so the RMS can be replaced, otherwise if the tool doesn't fit, the ENGINE SHOULD BE REPLACED. I like how they ran right through that part like it was a brake pad! I'm assuming there aren't too many of these going down or we'd hear about it big time. Anyone have RMS problems on their cars? Maybe this only applies to regular 996 engines?
I labored over the RMS issue before purchasing my '01 996. I had a friend (technician at a Porsche dealership in the area) put it on the rack (pre-purchase). It was bone dry. I bugged him incessantly about the RMS what-if's, and he mentioned that there has been an updated RMS kit the obviates the need for engine replacement. Furthermore, he stated that Porsche is not replacing engines anymore for the RMS issue since introducing the updated RMS fix. I'd be curious to hear to some feedback from people on the board. Has anyone had an engine replacement recently due to the RMS issue? Can a kit address a crankcase defect of this nature?

Old 07-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
As soon as they figure out a "cheaper" fix they stop replacing engines of course. The fix is probably as good as the cylinder-sleeve "fix" for the 98-99 Boxsters.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:55 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The problem was the tool they sent out to dealers was overly tight and 'over-read' alot of RMS as being loose tolerence when in fact they were within spec and just needed a seal replaced. They also now have a 4 stage grading system, 1- moist at tranny/engine junction visually, no drips on floor, 2-wet junction, minor drips on floor,3- wet junction significant leakage less than 1 qt/ 1000 miles, 4- overt leak with leakage exceding 1qt/1000 miles. They only consider engine swaps at stage 4 with a failed tolerance test now, that's why you seldom see a new engine for an RMS leak.

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 07-26-2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 07-27-2006, 12:57 AM
qfix is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
The problem was the tool they sent out to dealers was overly tight and 'over-read' alot of RMS as being loose tolerence when in fact they were within spec and just needed a seal replaced. They also now have a 4 stage grading system, 1- moist at tranny/engine junction visually, no drips on floor, 2-wet junction, minor drips on floor,3- wet junction significant leakage less than 1 qt/ 1000 miles, 4- overt leak with leakage exceding 1qt/1000 miles. They only consider engine swaps at stage 4 with a failed tolerance test now, that's why you seldom see a new engine for an RMS leak.
Thanks for the info. I had a feeling there might be more to the story.

Old 07-27-2006, 12:15 PM
orijinal_poser is on a distinguished road
sounds like a little bit of crankwalk??