996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Engine noise normal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 05:50 PM
cporterfield is on a distinguished road
Engine noise normal

Guys, I have complained twice to the local dealer about a "noise" that is coming from my engine at idle. I just had a 15K service done and asked to have the noise fixed. Its is a clattering sound that is particlarly bad if you are next to a wall. And it just makes the car sound cheap. The car still makes the noise after my service, and the service invoice reads "normal intermediate shaft chain noises."

The car runs fine, but just sounds like a piece of crap and certainly not like a $125K car.

Does anyone else have this same sort of noise? Is it really normal? Can it be remedied?

Last piece of info. -- my car is stock.

Old 01-22-2004, 05:58 PM
ee996tt is on a distinguished road
Can you reproduce the noise if you are parked at idle in your garage? If so, does the noise remain or go away when you depress the clutch at idle?

My car has some shaft noises that go away when the clutch is depressed. It is normal.

Old 01-22-2004, 06:02 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
I have complained twice to the local dealer about a "noise" that is coming from my engine at idle.
Unfortunately, the noise is normal.

Old 01-22-2004, 06:03 PM
Banned
MTBR is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately, the clattering during idle is normal.

Old 01-22-2004, 06:13 PM
luting_chen is on a distinguished road
i have the exact same problem...
it's like small click click click noise that you have when parked at idle right?
when you cold start your car, the noise won't come out... but after you drive it for some miles... and when stopped at a light... the click click noise just comes out from the back of the car.
It bothers me sooooo much...
I don't know if when the clutch is depress then it'll go away or not... but I'm pretty sure when the car start to move, the noise goes away...

I sent it to Pacific Porshe, they said it's normal shaft chain noise...
I then sent my car to McKenna (yesterday morning), and they phone me today saying that they're pretty sure the sound is from my aftermarket exhaust (not sure if that's true, but i'll give it a try)... Or I'm not sure if they're only saying that b/c that's the only aftermarket part on my car so far... =_="...
They'll give me a call later or tomorrow... And I'll just see what they have to say...

I've never had this problem before... but had it after I sent it in for service... then it occurred when I picked it up....

Old 01-22-2004, 06:21 PM
just got a call...
they told me it seems to be the cat that's causing the noise on my car...
emailed europipe as well...
i'll hope to hear their answer quick...

cporterfield:
do you have exhaust upgraded anyhow?

Old 01-22-2004, 06:40 PM
Turbo Racer is on a distinguished road
timing chain rattle at idle is normal. if it persists at a higher than idle rpms there's probably a problem. the same thing happens to my car.

Old 01-22-2004, 06:46 PM
YSITSMN is on a distinguished road
Mine make the noies when I start it up and after a drive. I thought that it had somthing to do with the oil lifters in the motor.

Old 01-22-2004, 06:59 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
"I then sent my car to McKenna (yesterday morning), and they phone me today saying that they're pretty sure the sound is from my aftermarket exhaust (not sure if that's true, but i'll give it a try)..."

luting_chen,

If they really said that, then they are idiot's.

Old 01-22-2004, 06:59 PM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
While some cats meow, the ones on our cars have great difficulty making any noise at all beyound the normal exhaust note....and especially not the type of noise you describe. It is simply not possible...I would not let such monkeys even sit in my car.

dave w

Old 01-22-2004, 07:28 PM
yeah i just finished talking with them...
they told me they're pretty sure it's form my europipe...
it's the cat that's making the noise...
I decided to pick my car up tomorrow... w/o them doing anything to it...
I'll first listen to it though... then make decision...
=_=" damn...i've written europipe already...

i wonder what's making the noise though...b/c if it's the chain thing in the engine, it should sound louder when cold started it...
but mine comes on after I've driven it for a while... if you just let it sit there to warm up... it takes a long time for the noise to appear...

btw...i think i'll get charged for that inspection...haha...i hope it's not too much... or i'll be pissed...

Old 01-22-2004, 07:55 PM
msindi is on a distinguished road
thats so funny Dave

Old 01-22-2004, 09:48 PM
cporterfield is on a distinguished road
To answer some of the questions:

I do not have an aftermarket exhaust. I thought the noise might be one of the the cats, but the shop says no. The noise is not dependent on whether the clutch is pushed in, and it goes away at about 1000 rpms but does not go away when the car is warmed up.

Everyone's reports indicate this is completely normal, although I do not think it should be. I would realy like my car to sound more like the F360 I see at my kids' school occasionally. That's how our cars should sound! Not like some piece of crap that's about to fall apart. Perhaps an exhaust change is in order to drown out the "clatter."

Collin Porterfield

Old 01-22-2004, 09:55 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Perhaps an exhaust change is in order to drown out the "clatter."
Not a bad idea, although you can hear the clacking on the Turbo with the Stage II quiet on the Europipe site (video).

The mechanic at my dealer said the 993's made the same noise, it was just that there was so much other noise coming from the engine you didn't hear it.

Old 01-22-2004, 10:00 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Isn't there a baffle of flap kinda thing in the exhaust that alters the internal flow (in the exhaust) at higher RPM's. If this is true, mabey that is what is flapping. I've heard this same sound on a buddies X50 at our AutoX last summer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine noise normal