996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Wheels in the Rain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 06:57 PM
ritchieswimwear is an unknown quantity at this point
Wheels in the Rain

Which wheels were giving people trouble in the rain? Was it just one brand or anything with a certain lip on it?

Old 10-13-2006, 07:08 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
I think Shank had something like this on one of his wheels......

Can't remember which wheel but maybe he will chime in here.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:10 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
it effects wheels with reverse lips, HRE, DPE, and I-forged were some that were effected. If you don't get the Reverse lip, you'll be fine.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:35 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
i don't have the vibrations others have said but my car is a death trap in the rain - 19" OZ Superleggera III w/ 325 Pilot Sports.

when you hit standing water, you have no control over the car. it will hydroplane and you are helpless.

it is *extremely* stressful driving this way (as you can imagine) and you have to slow down to 40-45mph.

i also have motons but it acted this way w/ the JICs too.

i think i will go down to 18" so i can get better tires for the rain - Goodyear GS-D3's. i had them on my supra and i could drive through a lake w/ no issues.

- chuck

Old 10-13-2006, 07:41 PM
M3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura aboutM3CAB has a spectacular aura about
Yep, anything with the reverse lip. Basically the inside drum retains water and causes the wheels to shake. Kinda like a wheel that has not been balanced.
I have the 19" Champions RG5's with PS2's and have never had any vibration issues in the rain, but do agree with carendt242 about hitting large patches of water and hydroplaning the rear end. Very unsettling feeling.

Old 10-13-2006, 08:24 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by M3CAB
Yep, anything with the reverse lip. Basically the inside drum retains water and causes the wheels to shake. Kinda like a wheel that has not been balanced.
I have the 19" Champions RG5's with PS2's and have never had any vibration issues in the rain, but do agree with carendt242 about hitting large patches of water and hydroplaning the rear end. Very unsettling feeling.
Cant comment on hitting puddles because i dont drive it in the rain, but with the water retaining in the inner barrel, its most known to be on the HRE's and that's it , weird!

Old 10-13-2006, 09:47 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Cant comment on hitting puddles because i dont drive it in the rain, but with the water retaining in the inner barrel, its most known to be on the HRE's and that's it , weird!
you sure, because i've definately heard of stories for DPE and Iforged as well. The only people who don't have problems are those from cargraphic (from what i've read)

Old 10-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
Cant comment on hitting puddles because i dont drive it in the rain...
*****!

Old 10-13-2006, 10:56 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
haha.. i never knew about this rain issue... but will 19" make that big of a difference than 18"s in the rain??????

like, i've driven my car pretty hard with stock 18"s with pilot sport ribbed in the rain and it seemed fine....

is it the rim size or the tire brand? that makes 19"s bad in the rain?

Old 10-13-2006, 11:20 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zippy
*****!
LOLLLLLLLLl F-U I have no need to, unless i feel like going drifting or get caught up in it, which is rarely believe me, out of most people i drive it like i stole it!

Old 10-13-2006, 11:57 PM
carendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the roughcarendt242 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by angldrkns9
haha.. i never knew about this rain issue... but will 19" make that big of a difference than 18"s in the rain??????

like, i've driven my car pretty hard with stock 18"s with pilot sport ribbed in the rain and it seemed fine....

is it the rim size or the tire brand? that makes 19"s bad in the rain?

19"s have to be that bad - if my car came like this stock, porsche would have a million lawsuits... hit water - hold steering wheel, and the car goes wherever it wants... i've changed 3 lanes a few times... way too dangerous....

- chuck

Old 10-14-2006, 12:20 AM
tme
tme will become famous soon enough
HRE shake but it just feels like they r out of balance........... if u hit the brakes it will usually clear them

Old 10-14-2006, 01:40 AM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
...believe me, out of most people i drive it like i stole it!
... unless it's raining.

Old 10-14-2006, 02:14 AM
Originally Posted by Zippy
... unless it's raining.
Exactly

Old 10-14-2006, 04:01 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Fat tires plus standing = trouble. The fatter the tire, the less weight per SQ inch compouded with more trouble channelling the water. Even cars with stock 295s whould use caution, especially when the thread sare not at full depth (slightly worn).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheels in the Rain