996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

It's a slippery slope...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 01:13 AM
FlyingLow is on a distinguished road
It's a slippery slope...

I can see this mod thing is going to be the never-ending story. These cars are so much fun to change! I've only had the car for a couple of weeks and I've already put new Michelins on it, B&M SSK, GIAC software, diverter valves, and the K&N filter. Next is the exhaust. This damn thing is so much fun to drive I can't even believe it. I can see the list just growing and growing.
Now I have to do:
sport exhaust
plenum
K24's
GT2 Intercoolers
PSS9 Suspension

I can see how this little "hobby" can consume you.

Last edited by FlyingLow; 11-17-2006 at 01:18 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:19 AM
Ray
Former Vendor
Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !Ray Is a GOD !
The mod list will never end, welcome to the dark side

Old 11-17-2006, 01:19 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Make sure your K&N is a non oiled unit. It's no fun replacing MAFs instead of doing real mods...

I suggest you do everything BUT the air filter (intake). Keep that part stock and you will be happier.

Old 11-17-2006, 03:11 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
u really odnt need the gt2 ICs... trust me... save ur money. I did it too..

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 11-17-2006, 03:22 AM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
u really odnt need the gt2 ICs... trust me... save ur money. I did it too..
but.. they are the best secan cores ever don't try telling me your ICs are better Mark Just pullin' yer leg...

Old 11-17-2006, 12:48 PM
gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !gmoney Is a GOD !
stick to stock paper filters.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:33 PM
JNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to all
why does an expensive hobby have to be so damn fun? LOL

good luck with all the modding, just know that u'r not alone with the mod bug!!

Old 11-17-2006, 04:15 PM
JWC
JWC will become famous soon enough
Are the BMC filters not to be used? I hope they are O.K. I just installed one in my car. And you are corrct about the Mod bug...it will never end. The best we can do is try and keep it to ONE car. I have "double mod bug" and have two cars going at my check book.

Old 11-17-2006, 04:34 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
OMG, can I relate...I started out just putting a pop charger and some exhaust on my new G35...one thing led to another....and right before I built the engine and installed my TT I decided to go for it, and now I am buying a 600 whp GT2 w/ every bolt on possible....do you guys think I should build the bottom end?

I seriously need to get into some kind of 12 step group.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:09 PM
BMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the rough
BOO HA HA, I am joining the group...I modded the hell outta my M3, sold my stuff, re-modded it...etc, etc, etc...and now look where I am! You know where this is going!....

I already have the list....

wheels, body kit, suspension, interior, etc, etc...I think I am going to buy some of the stuff before I even get the car!

Mike

here is a quick pic

Old 11-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Banned
Rambino is on a distinguished road
What sux is that, a lot of changes need retuning. So unless u live by a good tuner its a *****. I know on my M3, I had to retune after exaust, intake changes etc.. My AFR's were all over the place everytime i made changes. I probably spent over 5k just on tuning sessions ...

Old 11-17-2006, 06:54 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
evo has a paper filter for their new air box... have run it for a few months no probs.... good luck it is great fun..

Old 11-18-2006, 07:08 AM
BMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the roughBMWDEMON is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Rambino
What sux is that, a lot of changes need retuning. So unless u live by a good tuner its a *****. I know on my M3, I had to retune after exaust, intake changes etc.. My AFR's were all over the place everytime i made changes. I probably spent over 5k just on tuning sessions ...
Wow, you did? I did change the intake and the exhaust out but went back to the stock intake because the cone, etc I think detuned the car...as soon as I put the stock back in it was fine.

I am a firm believer that the engineers for our cars have designed them so well that the BMW, Porsche, etc does not have to be greatly changed unless you completely revamp the system...

I think changing the paper is the best route and eventually an exhaust and performance should be retained or slightly improved.