996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Good upgrade to the Bose Stereo System...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 11:37 PM
ramone is an unknown quantity at this point
Good upgrade to the Bose Stereo System...?

Best sounding system for under 5K... ?

I have the stock Bose system (stock dash/speakers/woofer)...want to upgrade but not looking to spend over 5K...any reasonable options....?

Also do I need to touch the speakers at all or is it just the Dash and Subwoofer that need replacing ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by ramone; 01-19-2007 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:31 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I have a Pioneer DEF 780 head unit, Audison LRX Amp, 2 sets of top of the line MB quart speakers and a custom subwoofer box w/ 2 little 7 inch subs (can't remember the names, but guys at stereo shop swore by them....they sound better than the 12 inch Polk). All for under 4.5 K w/ install.

System is absolutely incredible. BOSE is generally regarded as inferior by audiophiles since they spend way more on advertising than researching and producing good products.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:03 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I'm with Jitsu on the bose. But if you want to keep most of the system, I understand that replacing the factory Bose subs with some quality subs (in the factory sub enclosure) and a decent AMP will fatten the bottom end and improve sound quality. Of course nothing will sound like a complete replacement system with quality components.

There is test mode or something that says somtehing about output on/off. I wonder if that's a low impedance output (RCAs)?

For the most part I am done with full systems (I've had quite a few in my cars) and find better subs suit me OK.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:28 AM
Looking to replace the screen/head unit with something a little more up to date...maybe a touch screen or something (none of those popout retractable screens tho). Something that also works with Ipods, Sirrius, GPS etc.

Also want better overall sound quality...and a decent Sub to match... nothing ridiculous...

Wanna stay under 5K

Last edited by ramone; 01-19-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:36 AM
JNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to allJNRSM3 is a name known to all
can't go wrong with Focal/MB Quart separates and JL Audio subs....you can get a nice 5 channel amp which should be able to power your whole car if kept simple.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Find a good quality audio shop. They should be willing to give you a significant discount of each individual component if you get everything from them. Look at their recommendations and check for the best prices on the internet for each component and get them to match.

You should get a fantastic system for under 5K.

I am extremely dissapointed w/ Porsche audio....of course Porsche is about racing.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:07 PM
laj_c4s is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ari
I'm with Jitsu on the bose. But if you want to keep most of the system, I understand that replacing the factory Bose subs with some quality subs (in the factory sub enclosure) and a decent AMP will fatten the bottom end and improve sound quality. Of course nothing will sound like a complete replacement system with quality components.

There is test mode or something that says somtehing about output on/off. I wonder if that's a low impedance output (RCAs)?

For the most part I am done with full systems (I've had quite a few in my cars) and find better subs suit me OK.
Ari,
what is the size of the Bose subs? and what did you replace them with?
thx

roy

Old 01-19-2007, 01:50 PM
santicua is on a distinguished road
I had the focal seperates and 2 8 inch image dynamic subs on my previous 996. Worked great!

Old 01-19-2007, 08:30 PM
Lizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of lightLizard1 is a glorious beacon of light
hate to be the bearer of bad news but if you have the Bose in a 2003-2005 996, then you have the MOST fiber optic system. what that means is that you cannot simply take out the Bose amp and replace it with a better amp, change out the speakers, etc BECAUSE all this crap communicates via this fiberoptic stuff instead of the traditional wiring.

pre 03 cars are golden. i looked into doing a system overhaul with pretty basic stuff and the quotes were $4-5K IIRC. there's a company out of CA or maybe Washington St that does alot of high end auto work - several people here have used them but can't remember their name. i'd call them and have a chat so you know what to tell the 16 yr old kid at Best Buy how to hook it up

Old 01-19-2007, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by Lizard1
you cannot simply take out the Bose amp and replace it with a better amp, change out the speakers, etc BECAUSE all this crap communicates via this fiberoptic stuff instead of the traditional wiring.
So what does this mean exactly ???

Old 01-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Pedalzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by ramone
So what does this mean exactly ???
I think it means

Originally Posted by ramone
Wanna stay under 9-10K

Old 01-26-2007, 10:35 AM
luckyluke will become famous soon enoughluckyluke will become famous soon enough
Look into a Reus Audio Bose enhancement system.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:00 PM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
It means that you have to re-wire the whole soundsystem to completely bypass the MOST fiber optic.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:15 PM
Brucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to allBrucem is a name known to all
Where do you live?
check out www.signatureaudiousa.com if you live SW
or check out http://www.benchmarkmotoring.com/ for PNW
Reus is great for Cali people... always heard good stuff about them

both of them are two of the best shops in the country at high end cars and high end audio.. alot of people ship thier cars to them to have it done right

Old 01-26-2007, 04:29 PM
PRS29 has a spectacular aura aboutPRS29 has a spectacular aura aboutPRS29 has a spectacular aura about
For a 2002 996 Turbo with the Bose system... is there a good head unit to replace the original with? Something for ipod and/or satellite radio? I am just looking for the headunit. Not looking to replace anything else. Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Good upgrade to the Bose Stereo System...?