996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:40 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DMK
Bumper supports aprox 20lbs per
How many are there total.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:46 PM
Banned
Neil@Orton is on a distinguished road
1 front & 1 rear

Old 01-31-2007, 11:24 PM
DMK
Banned
DMK has a spectacular aura aboutDMK has a spectacular aura about
Yup 1 front 1 Rear only good for 5mph anyway. If I am goin to crash prob going to be at 100mph +++

Old 01-31-2007, 11:51 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Looks like I'll have more stuff for Neil to do next time my car goes to the shop then. I think I'm going to go:

Odyssey PC925 -26.0 lbs
Spare Tire etc -39.2 lbs
RWD (extreme version) -120 lbs LOL wishfully
Clutch Actuator -47 lbs approx
LWFW Pressure Plate -19 lbs
Exhaust Mod - 50 lbs think i have something similar already
Bumper Supports -40 lbs
Wheels - 20 lbs
GT3 Seats - 35 lbs

396 lbs

So ahem, Neil, next time I bring my car to your shop it should leave about 400 lbs lighter.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:52 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Looks like I'll have more stuff for Neil to do next time my car goes to the shop then. I think I'm going to go:

Odyssey PC925 -26.0 lbs
Spare Tire etc -39.2 lbs
RWD (extreme version) -120 lbs LOL wishfully
Clutch Actuator -47 lbs approx
LWFW Pressure Plate -19 lbs
Exhaust Mod - 50 lbs think i have something similar already
Bumper Supports -40 lbs
Wheels - 20 lbs
GT3 Seats - 35 lbs

396 lbs

So ahem, Neil, next time I bring my car to your shop it should leave about 400 lbs lighter.

WOW, that would be a tremendous change in the car.
The things I am not sure of on there is the actuator so please let us know details of that.
Also I looked into the bumper supports also. Front seem do-able rears seem like you will loose the bumperettes? So again let us know how this goes!

Great post, thanks
tom

Old 02-01-2007, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by tom kerr
WOW, that would be a tremendous change in the car.
The things I am not sure of on there is the actuator so please let us know details of that.
Also I looked into the bumper supports also. Front seem do-able rears seem like you will loose the bumperettes? So again let us know how this goes!

Great post, thanks
tom
Yeah it's a long shot and may take a year to do and when I add a Techquipement rollbar it will add some weight back. I also dont want to lose my bumperettes. I guess realitically I'll be closer to losing about 300 lbs which should still be a pretty good weight loss. I'll have my car weighed on saturday and know where I'm starting from. I have a lighter battery, not sure how much, exhaust and no cats already but still have the heavy as a rock techarts on the car so I'll know what needs work after saturday.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Hi D.

Tnx for the hospitality. Bro, you are getting in deeper and deeper------- :-) The dark side is assailing.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:35 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Yeah it's a long shot and may take a year to do and when I add a Techquipement rollbar it will add some weight back. I also dont want to lose my bumperettes. I guess realitically I'll be closer to losing about 300 lbs which should still be a pretty good weight loss. I'll have my car weighed on saturday and know where I'm starting from. I have a lighter battery, not sure how much, exhaust and no cats already but still have the heavy as a rock techarts on the car so I'll know what needs work after saturday.
this weight thing is really what separates this car from a true track weapon. It is IMHO one of if not the only thing the GT3 (996 stock) has over this car.

I am glad to see you as I are willing to stick with this car and make it what it really is capable of being and doing......

Old 02-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by Al Norton
Hi D.

Tnx for the hospitality. Bro, you are getting in deeper and deeper------- :-) The dark side is assailing.
No problem, I need to to teach me some mechanical traits, because I have none. Did you try the wheel cleaner in the 26 degree weather?

Originally Posted by tom kerr
this weight thing is really what separates this car from a true track weapon. It is IMHO one of if not the only thing the GT3 (996 stock) has over this car.

I am glad to see you as I are willing to stick with this car and make it what it really is capable of being and doing......
I agree, and the advantage the turbo has is that it can go on a diet, but the GT3 cant add all that much power, which was my sole reason for getting the TT. I think it can get down to 3100 lbs without major construction and I'll take 3100 lbs with huge modability anyday.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:27 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Heavyc,

Have not tried cleaner yet. Waiting for some nicer wx. Expect I should roll it out into the driveway or I would make a mess on the garage floor.
I'll be glad to share all my ancient Knowledge with you. The first thing we need to do to get some weight out of your car is lighten the valve train by getting rid of those heavy push rods. :-)

Not sure about GT 3 seats, but the weight savings may be 35 lbs. per seat. I'll tell you in a few weeks, months, whatever, when Neil swaps them out for my stock heated, memory ones.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:01 PM
No problem, I need to to teach me some mechanical traits, because I have none. Did you try the wheel cleaner in the 26 degree weather?

I agree, and the advantage the turbo has is that it can go on a diet, but the GT3 cant add all that much power, which was my sole reason for getting the TT. I think it can get down to 3100 lbs without major construction and I'll take 3100 lbs with huge modability anyday.
EXACTLY my reason for the turbo!! and my plans also.
Also I hate loosing drag races to cars on long back straights, especially if it would be to a corvette or GT3, THAT was why I went with the turbo, HORSEPOWER, and the ability to make it into what I need.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:08 AM
jenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant future
i love my gt3 . yall can keep your turbos with all the mods and weight saving projects. thats just more money spent for you and more driving time for me while your cars are in the shop.

dez, i love driving your turbo

Old 02-03-2007, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by jenk12m
i love my gt3 . yall can keep your turbos with all the mods and weight saving projects. thats just more money spent for you and more driving time for me while your cars are in the shop.

dez, i love driving your turbo
LOL dont start none, wont be none up in here. Your car will be in the shop for some mods soon too, dont even act like it wont. Parked right next to mine. Well maybe not, we may have to stagger appointments so we can drop each other off. And hey if my car is at the shop I'll be in your garage real fast. In fact I thought about taking the CLS for a spin when I was over there the other day but couldnt find the key, you had better beleive if that M6 or GT3 was in the garage it was going for a ride.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Nitto NT-01 245/40ZR18 is 25.35 lbs. 315/30ZR18 is 29.98 lbs.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:37 AM
luckyluke will become famous soon enoughluckyluke will become famous soon enough
Stock hood 40lbs. Carbon Fiber Hood 16lbs. My custom made carbon hood 5lbs. 35lb savings. Doing some weighing and will add more posts soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List