996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:49 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
I adjusted my weight to reflect the gas. I'm torn over how to do this with the weight although I know I wont be weighing with a full tank. There is no way to take gas out of the equation because the goal here is race weight. You cant race with no gas. I think I will change them both back to the gas weight.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:30 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
maybe we should just footnote what the gas gauge reads at time
of weighing??

MK
using the gas gauge is probably the best idea especially if we all use say a quarter of a tank.

this would standardize things somewhat and not be a deterent for the drag races. I use a little over a quarter tank of gas per track session.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:03 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tom kerr
using the gas gauge is probably the best idea especially if we all use say a quarter of a tank.

this would standardize things somewhat and not be a deterent for the drag races. I use a little over a quarter tank of gas per track session.
1/4 tank then should be the consensus. That should ensure that people can actually race. I will chage the weights now.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:18 PM
VRAlexander
Well I think my 996 takes the 'heavy weight' title ....3879lb with 1/2 tank of C-16 (no pilot or co-pilot)....wonder what it would feel like if it shed 1000lb??

Old 02-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
What accounts for all the extra weight?

I have seen mention of N2O bottles, different intercoolers, and maybe transaxle coolers, etc., but what else? Not a challenging question at all; just interested.

Al

Old 02-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by VRAlexander
Well I think my 996 takes the 'heavy weight' title ....3879lb with 1/2 tank of C-16 (no pilot or co-pilot)....wonder what it would feel like if it shed 1000lb??
It's good enough for 3rd place right now . But how in the heck did you get to 3800 #, you must have a booming system in there.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:49 PM
VRAlexander
Originally Posted by Al Norton
What accounts for all the extra weight?

I have seen mention of N2O bottles, different intercoolers, and maybe transaxle coolers, etc., but what else? Not a challenging question at all; just interested.

Al
340lb in Stereo and Dynamat equipment !!

Originally Posted by heavychevy
It's good enough for 3rd place right now .
????? What do you mean????

Last edited by VRAlexander; 02-06-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:53 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
And you're still that fast? Say it aint so

Old 02-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Former Vendor
Whirls will become famous soon enoughWhirls will become famous soon enough
My TT weighed in at 3407 with a full tank of gas... TechArt Type II body kit, GT3 Seats, rear seats removed, RUF 18" 3 piece wheels, and I have the Porsche roll bar...

Old 02-07-2007, 02:12 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
My battery of choice would have been the Optima D51R at 26 lbs. but it is not currently in production. My choice has therefore been the Optima Red Top 35 at 31.7 lbs. I think the battery terminals will be in a better location than the 25. We'll know soon---it's on the way. Not as light as the Odessy 925 but the cranking amps and CCA are far superior for a modest weight gain of 5.7 lbs.

Net weight loss for Optima 35 will be -20.3 lbs.

I'm planning to fabricate my own hold-down apparatus, possibly from 1/4" lexan, which will add a miniscule amount of weight.

Last edited by Al Norton; 02-07-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Whirls
My TT weighed in at 3407 with a full tank of gas... TechArt Type II body kit, GT3 Seats, rear seats removed, RUF 18" 3 piece wheels, and I have the Porsche roll bar...
I'm going to subtract 60 lbs to even you out at 1/4 tank. 3347.

Old 02-07-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm getting obsessed with this weight thing, have been phasing out my weight reduction plans to get to my desired goal. I still dont plan to cut anything, only remove or replace items. I think a little over 3k lbs is very obtainable and not real expensive. Here's what I came up with.

Weight Reduction Mods Done So Far (Phase I)
Floor Mats /Spare & Tools - 50 lbs
¼ Tank Gas
Exhaust -
3400 lbs

Phase II
Wheels - 25 lbs
GT3 Seats - 70 lbs
Rear Seats - 22 lbs
Front Bumper Support - 20 lbs
- 137 lbs
Estimated weight afterwards 3263 lbs

Phase III
RWD - 70 lbs
Clutch Actuator - 47 lbs
LWFW Sachs Pressure Plate - 19 lbs
- 136 lbs
Estimated weight afterwards 3127

Phase IV
Rear Bumper Support - 20 lbs
Techart GTS Spoiler - 32 lbs
Carbon Fiber Hood - 24 lbs
- 76 lbs
Estimated weight afterwards 3051 ( more room to lose with battery, wheels, sub, drivetrain)

Old 02-07-2007, 04:05 PM
jenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant futurejenk12m has a brilliant future
you are obsessed

let me keep the weight advantage b/c you have the hp advantage all day

Old 02-07-2007, 09:35 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I'm getting obsessed with this weight thing, have been phasing out my weight reduction plans to get to my desired goal. I still dont plan to cut anything, only remove or replace items. I think a little over 3k lbs is very obtainable and not real expensive. Here's what I came up with.

Weight Reduction Mods Done So Far (Phase I)
Floor Mats /Spare & Tools - 50 lbs
¼ Tank Gas
Exhaust -
3400 lbs

Phase II
Wheels - 25 lbs
GT3 Seats - 70 lbs
Rear Seats - 22 lbs
Front Bumper Support - 20 lbs
- 137 lbs
Estimated weight afterwards 3263 lbs

Phase III
RWD - 70 lbs
Clutch Actuator - 47 lbs
LWFW Sachs Pressure Plate - 19 lbs
- 136 lbs
Estimated weight afterwards 3127

Phase IV
Rear Bumper Support - 20 lbs
Techart GTS Spoiler - 32 lbs
Carbon Fiber Hood - 24 lbs
- 76 lbs
Estimated weight afterwards 3051 ( more room to lose with battery, wheels, sub, drivetrain)
The TT at that weight with mildly modded engine, upgraded brakes say GT3 6 pistons and a good suspension would certainly be one of the fastest cars on the track!!!!

Old 02-07-2007, 09:41 PM
Here is the weight of my new brakes on their way........

Brembo 14" kit w/ 6-piston caliper
OEM caliper weighs 10.1lbs vs. Brembo caliper weighs 7.8lbs
OEM disc weighs 23.4lbs vs. Brembo disc weighs 16.9lbs

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average.

Quick Reply: Official Turbo Weight Loss Thread/ Lightest Turbo List